Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Posted 2005-05-05, 03:33 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Why you gotta go and be like that?"
I'm Lame. That's all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2005-05-05, 09:57 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Nonono.... MJ... dividing by 0 is..."
Get your mathmatics straight. Dividing by 0 is only undefined if it is 0 which you are dividing. Any positive number divided by 0 is positive infinity, any negative number divided by 0 is negative infinity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-05, 11:19 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Get your mathmatics straight. Dividing..."
WetWired said:
Get your mathmatics straight. Dividing by 0 is only undefined if it is 0 which you are dividing. Any positive number divided by 0 is positive infinity, any negative number divided by 0 is negative infinity.
Actually you're quite incorrect sir.

Any number other than 0 divided by 0 is undefined. 0 divided by 0 is not undefined. 0 divided by 0 is INDETERMINATE.

Let me show you how this is with a few common patterns.

5/5=1
4/4=1
3/3=1
2/2=1
1/1=1
0/0=1?

5/0=Undefined
4/0=Undefined
3/0=Undefined
2/0=Undefined
1/0=Undefined
0/0=Undefined?

0/5=0
0/4=0
0/3=0
0/2=0
0/1=0
0/0=0?

So according to those three patterns, 0/0 is 0, 1, and undefined. This is why 0/0 is considered indeterminate.

By the way, don't bother arguing this with me, I've done research on it(very recently actually, since I just finally started learning some calculus in my calculus class and we're doing limits.)

This positive infinity and negative infinity you mention are not numbers, which is probably why anything divided by 0 is undefined, since you can't really say WHAT infinity is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-05, 11:23 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Actually you're quite incorrect sir. ..."
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.divideby0.html

For one thing, when you divide one number by another, you expect the result to be another number. Look at the sequence of numbers 1/(1/2), 1/(1/3), 1/(1/4), ... . Notice that the bottoms of the fractions are 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ..., and that they're going to zero. If there's a limit to this sequence, we would take that number and call it 1/0, so let's see if there is.

Well, the sequence turns out to be 2, 3, 4, ..., and that goes to infinity. Since infinity isn't a real number, we don't assign any value to 1/0. We just say it's undefined.

But let's say we did assign a value. Let's say that infinity is a real number, and 1/0 is infinity. Then look at the sequence 1/(-1/2), 1/(-1/3), 1/(-1/4), ..., and notice again that the denominators -1/2, -1/3, -1/4, ..., are going to zero. So again, we would want the limit of this sequence to be 1/0. But looking at the sequence, it simplifies to -2, -3, -4, ..., and it goes to negative infinity. So which would we assign to 1/0? Negative infinity or positive infinity? Instead of just assigning one willy nilly, we say that infinity isn't a number, and that 1/0 is undefined.

What is the value of 0/0? (Is it really undefined or are there an infinite number of values?)

There's a special word for stuff like this, where you could conceivably give it any number of values. That word is "indeterminate." It's not the same as undefined. It essentially means that if it pops up somewhere, you don't know what its value will be in your case. For instance, if you have the limit as x->0 of x/x and of 7x/x, the expression will have a value of 1 in the first case and 7 in the second case. Indeterminate.

So, WetWired, I suggest you get your mathematics straight. IWINGGNORE.

p.s. penny wins too, he was right.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-06, 12:07 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.div..."
So was my calculator, bitch.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-05-06, 07:12 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Actually you're quite incorrect sir. ..."
0 divided by 0 is "Not a Number"

There are maths where you are forced to deal with things divided by zero. Just because you havn't encountered them yet, does not mean that I am wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-05-06, 10:59 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "0 divided by 0 is "Not a Number" ..."
And to think, all this started just because I wondered what 0 divided by 3 approximately 3 billion is...makes you kinda proud.

And people say I can't start conversations with substance!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-06, 11:08 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "0 divided by 0 is "Not a Number" ..."
You said 0/0 is undefined, which is incorrect, it's indeterminate. There is a difference between undefined and indeterminate. You also said that a positive number divided by 0 is positive infinity and a negative number divided by 0 is negative infinity. While that could be considered truth, you can't put a value on infinity, so it would be undefined. At most what you said in your post was half true.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2005-05-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-06, 11:10 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You said 0/0 is undefined, which is..."
By the way, if there's something that I've possibly not yet learned, tell me and I'll ask my math teacher about it. He seems to know everything there is to know about math. I've discussed stuff like this with him on multiple occasions.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-05-06, 11:11 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You said 0/0 is undefined, which is..."
Inifinty is a concept...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-06, 03:06 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Inifinty is a concept..."
It's a condition of numbers... or term for an undending number sequence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-05-06, 03:22 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "It's a condition of numbers... or term..."
Oh man... so much math... I need some rest... SHAQONDA! COME GIVE ME A BLANKET AND A PILLOW!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2005-05-06, 03:27 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "It's a condition of numbers... or term..."
Infinity is not a term for a sequence. It's a number.

I find it fascinating almost to watch people who don't know about a subject argue about it. Mathematics goes beyond what you've learned. Otherwise, they'd give you a doctoral degree in mathematics right now.

To set everyone straight:

Both positive and negative infinity exist, and there is a difference between the two.

In traditional mathematics, dividing a number by 0 isn't done. You can call it undefined if you want. If you wanted to be correct, however, you would say that it simply isn't done. If you had an actual application for it, you would use a limit of 0 instead of the actual number and reach infinity as an answer.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-05-06, 05:29 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Infinity is not a term for a sequence. ..."
Ergo vis-à-vis concordantly

poop

http://www.milkandcookies.com/article/1853/

Last edited by kockblocker1; 2005-05-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1