Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Utah Mine Collapses
Posted 2007-08-08, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Phoenix - In the year and a half since a coal-mine disaster in West Virginia gripped the nation and caused fresh scrutiny of mine safety regulations, the US government has beefed up efforts to keep miners that may be trapped below ground alive longer and redoubled efforts to identify potential safety hazards and fine companies.

Now, as another desperate race against time unfolds in another coal mine 2,000 miles away, industry observers confirm that overall mine safety has improved, but say more can be done by the industry to improve mining practices.

"The government learned lessons from Sago," says J. Davitt McAteer, a former official with the US government's Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), referring to the mine explosion in West Virginia in which 12 miners perished and one, miraculously, survived.

Heralded as the most significant mining legislation in 30 years, the Mine Improvement and New Emergency Response Act, signed into law by President Bush on June 15, 2006, was a result of investigations into the Sago accident.

The three key changes, Mr. McAteer says, are requirements to provide enough oxygen for workers to survive for as long as 50 hours, provide wireless communications, and harden the chambers where miners can await rescue.

The general rule is that "if you can keep them alive for 50 hours, we can get to them," says McAteer, now vice president at Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia. The six miners now trapped in a Utah coal mine have enough air and water to survive for several days, according to officials at the Crandall Canyon Mine.

McAteer says it appears, because officials have no way to communicate with the trapped miners, that the Crandall Canyon Mine still used the old land-line telephone system. The new legislation called for wireless communications to be developed within three years, so the Crandall Canyon Mine would have been in compliance.

The other most important change called for, according to McAteer, was the hardening of chambers in which miners can hold out during rescue efforts. Those were required in West Virginia but not in the rest of the country.

It is too early to know what caused the collapse at the Crandall Canyon Mine. Early reports indicated an earthquake caused the cave-in, and the mine's parent company insisted Tuesday that is in fact what happened. Others, though, said the explosion in the mine probably caused the 3.9 magnitude seismic waves recorded at the University of Utah. Experts say it will take until Wednesday morning to determine which scenario is correct.

At time of writing Tuesday, rescuers continued tunneling through 1,500 tons of debris to try to reach the miners trapped nearly four miles deep in the mine. "They are working in 12-hour shifts to rebuild damaged ventilation controls," according to officials at MSHA. "Approximately 22 miners are expected to go underground on dayshift. Equipment moves and equipment preparation are ongoing. A total of 12 mine rescue teams are available to go underground, with four teams currently on site."

In addition to the clearing of debris in the tunnel leading to the trapped miners, other crews attempted to drill holes into the top of the mine to provide fresh air to the miners.

Murray Energy Group, which owns the Crandall Mine, is in the process of "exhausting efforts" to reach the trapped miners, Bob Murray, company president, said early Tuesday. Still, it will take at least three days to reach them, he says. Rescuers are 2,000 feet from the closest access point.

The company has moved in 30 pieces of massive mining equipment, Mr. Murray says. Some 134 men, mostly professionals from other mines, are working in six teams on rescue efforts. Even so, the teams have moved only 310 feet closer to the trapped miners from where they started – gaining only 50 feet Tuesday night.

The MSHA has issued 325 citations against the Crandall Canyon Mine since 2004, according to the agency's online records. Of those, 116 were considered "significant and substantial," which means they are likely to cause injuries.

Last month, inspectors cited the mine for violating a rule requiring that at least two passageways be designed for escape in an emergency.

The 325 citations would not be "an unusual number," says McAteer. "The ones that are troubling are where there's a mine-evacuation violation. Those are troubling events and those shouldn't happen."
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070808/ts_csm/autahmine

A few comments. The owner of this corporation actually has a mines 5 miles or so from where I currently live. One of my friends works for him and he's a dick to his employees. He demands you go so fast or the face boss has to write a letter to him explaining why you didn't meet his expectations. He's also mentioned bringing in illegal mexican labor and paying them shit for doing the dangerous job. It seems as though 3 of the trapper miners are Mexicans that they're not sure are legal U.S. residents. Interesting, huh?

Off of Murray and onto MSHA ...MSHA is fining the companies to death for shit that's not even avoidable. Such as "accumulation of rock dust". Well, the thing is they have no guide lines as to how much you can or can't have (even though rock dust is good and used to keep coal dust from exploding) so ...they can write you a citation for thousands of dollars any time they want to. On average a lot of mines are being fined 100,000's a year now. They do have a good profit margin but still, a couple mines have been fined into shutting down.

What does this do? It removes high paying jobs from the already slow Kentucky economy. I'm all for safety but this overzealous witch hunt just seems like MSHA wants to shut down all domestic mining operations. We'll be importing coal like oil soon if they get their way.

Rant over.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-08, 03:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Utah Mine Collapses"
I'm suprised nobody has said anything yet about this, last I heard they we're close to drilling through and reaching the pocket they belived the remaining miners we're at.. sad for the families.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-08, 03:27 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm suprised nobody has said anything..."
Close as in ...two days of drilling. These mines are extremely deep into the ground. 1500 feet for that one ...some mines in Kentucky are over 3,000 feet deep. The deepest mines in Africa are over 5-6k deep I believe. At those depths the earth's so warm that it stays a nice, comfortable 100+ degrees fahrenheit. It stays in the 60's or so here in KY down there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-08, 04:11 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Close as in ...two days of drilling. ..."
OMG YOU POSTED THAT STORY AT 4:20!!!! POT POT POT!!!

I read about that in the paper, that's sad. If those are Mormons in there, I could care less though. It's a good thing that they won't freeze to death.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-08, 04:38 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "OMG YOU POSTED THAT STORY AT 4:20!!!!..."
Mormons can all go jump in a mine and collapse it together for all I care.

Anyway, yeah it's been pretty big here(I'm in Utah.) It's all over the news like 24/7 and shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 02:30 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Mormons can all go jump in a mine and..."
Scientologists can join them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-08-09, 02:35 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Scientologists can join them."
I'm going to miss Katie Holmes...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:23 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I'm going to miss Katie Holmes... :("
She's already been tainted. Good riddance, I say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:31 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "She's already been tainted. Good..."
Latest update, they dropped in the microphones where they believe the miners are, and they're not picking up any sounds.. so who knows, they don't think any of them are alive anymore.. really sad

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:36 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Latest update, they dropped in the..."
They said there's enough air for them to survive, but they don't know anything other than that. They don't even know if they got the right chamber, they could be off. They'll know as soon as the larger drill gets through, since they can steer that one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:37 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "They said there's enough air for them..."
Yeah that was just one of the preliminary tests just going on a hunch, but like you said once they can get that large drill down there they'll definately know, I mean it's been 3 days and they did have some supplies correct? So if they we're found today they could stlil be saved with an instant- IV in the arm and medical attention on scene.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:40 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah that was just one of the..."
It's been like 4-5 days. The only thing that really endangers them is if they don't have enough water or air. They can live without food for a while.

Then again, they might have just been killed in the collapse and this has all been futile anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:52 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's been like 4-5 days. The only..."
I'm sure they have tools to dig deeper for water? Just going with the 'well theory' here.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-10, 11:09 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I'm sure they have tools to dig deeper..."
There's water seeping into the mine that they could drink if they absolutely had to, but that's probably not recommended except for in really bad situations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-10, 11:25 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "There's water seeping into the mine..."
Isn't this a really bad situation, though? 4 or 5 days in a mine; they are probably running out of water by now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-10, 12:39 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Isn't this a really bad situation,..."
They're probably dead and have been since the collapse. Everyone is being very optimistic about it, but you have to be somewhat realistic too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-10, 10:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "They're probably dead and have been..."
My father is a coal miner and he thinks they're probably dead. However, who knows. They could have gone as far away from the collapsing area as possible. However, hopefully they do something to communicate to them because in the amount of time that it's going to take to dig to them through rock they could dehydrate ...or if a rock fall happens too late they'll starve even.

That tunneling distance doesn't seem that signifigant compared to how long the mine is already ...but that mine was tunneled that far over months or years and through coal. Coal is a very soft rock compared to many others.

--------------------------------------------------------

Something else that bothers me is using recent Mexican immigrants for this dangerous job where communication is key. I really hope these guys spoke fluent English. One miscommunication can end a lot of peoples' lives.

Last edited by Willkillforfood; 2007-08-10 at 10:20 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood