Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Study Suggests Difference in Lesbians' Brains
Posted 2006-05-08, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Study Suggests Difference in Lesbians' Brains

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON - Lesbians' brains react differently to sex hormones than those of heterosexual women, new research indicates.

That's in line with an earlier study that had indicated gay men's brain responses were different from straight men — though the difference for men was more pronounced than has now been found in women.

Lesbians' brains reacted somewhat, though not completely, like those of heterosexual men, a team of Swedish researchers said in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

A year ago, the same group reported findings for gay men that showed their brain response to hormones was similar to that of heterosexual women.

In both cases the findings add weight to the idea that homosexuality has a physical basis and is not learned behavior.

"It shows sexual orientation may very well have a different basis between men and women ... this is not just a mirror image situation," said Sandra Witelson, an expert on brain anatomy and sexual orientation at the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

"The important thing is to be open to the likely situation that there are biological factors that contribute to sexual orientation," added Witelson, who was not part of the research team.

The research team led by Ivanka Savic at the Stockholm Brain Institute had volunteers sniff chemicals derived from male and female sex hormones. These chemicals are thought to be pheromones — molecules known to trigger responses such as defense and sex in many animals.

Whether humans respond to pheromones has been debated, although in 2000 American researchers reported finding a gene that they believe directs a human pheromone receptor in the nose.

The same team reported last year on a comparison of the response of male homosexuals to heterosexual men and women. They found that the brains of gay men reacted more like those of women than of straight men.

The new study shows a similar, but weaker, relationship between the response of lesbians and straight men.

Heterosexual women found the male and female pheromones about equally pleasant, while straight men and lesbians liked the female pheromone more than the male one. Men and lesbians also found the male hormone more irritating than the female one, while straight women were more likely to be irritated by the female hormone than the male one.

All three groups rated the male hormone more familiar than the female one. Straight women found both hormones about equal in intensity, while lesbians and straight men found the male hormone more intense than the female one.

The brains of all three groups were scanned when sniffing male and female hormones and a set of four ordinary odors. Ordinary odors were processed in the brain circuits associated with smell in all the volunteers.

In heterosexual males the male hormone was processed in the scent area but the female hormone was processed in the hypothalamus, which is related to sexual stimulation. In straight women the sexual area of the brain responded to the male hormone while the female hormone was perceived by the scent area.

In lesbians, both male and female hormones were processed the same, in the basic odor processing circuits, Savic and her team reported.

Each of the three groups of subjects included 12 healthy, unmedicated, right-handed and HIV-negative individuals.

The research was funded by the Swedish Medical Research Council, Karolinska Institute and the Wallenberg Foundation.

On the Net:

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: http://www.pnas.org
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060508/...BhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2006-05-08, 07:33 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Study Suggests Difference in Lesbians'..."
I've heard that before. It's already been shown in animals for a long time .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-05-08, 09:13 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I've heard that before. It's already..."
This has been known for a long time, yet people still believe that it is a personal decision to be gay. It's kind of irritating, actually...especially with churches and such.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2006-05-08, 09:57 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "This has been known for a long time,..."

GOD I Love this gif.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-08, 10:32 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/5864/..."
i guess them gays are inferior after all!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2006-05-09, 06:44 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/5864/..."
That's the best thing I've ever seen from you, Sov
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2006-05-09, 07:24 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "i guess them gays are inferior after..."
Mantralord said:
i guess them gays are inferior after all!
/signed
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-09, 07:43 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "This has been known for a long time,..."
It is a personal decision. Somewhere down along the line sub-consciously most likely, your body decided to like men. Just because your gay and you are attracted to male phermones doesn't mean it's a product of nature. It's a product of your mind. The human brain is capable of far greater things than being attracted to same sex phermones.
No one is born gay or lesbian. Just like no one is born with alcoholism. We're a clean slate when we spring from the womb just as we have evolved to be. And we have evolved to reproduce. It's basic animal instinct. To survive and make sure our species continues on.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-09, 08:12 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "It is a personal decision. Somewhere..."
Kaneda said:
It is a personal decision. Somewhere down along the line sub-consciously most likely, your body decided to like men. Just because your gay and you are attracted to male phermones doesn't mean it's a product of nature. It's a product of your mind. The human brain is capable of far greater things than being attracted to same sex phermones.
No one is born gay or lesbian. Just like no one is born with alcoholism. We're a clean slate when we spring from the womb just as we have evolved to be. And we have evolved to reproduce. It's basic animal instinct. To survive and make sure our species continues on.
If it is sub-conscious, one could argue that it is a product of nature and not a personal decision.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-09, 08:37 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "If it is sub-conscious, one could argue..."
Nope. It's a product of your environment, among a few other things I'm sure. Although I think it's truely one of those un-explanable phenomenoms. Your born straight as nature and evolution intended. I've got nothing wrong with homosexualism, but that has to be the way it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-09, 08:41 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Nope. It's a product of your..."
Kaneda said:
Nope. It's a product of your environment, among a few other things I'm sure. Although I think it's truely one of those un-explanable phenomenoms. Your born straight as nature and evolution intended. I've got nothing wrong with homosexualism, but that has to be the way it is.
But what makes you believe that this is the way it is, though?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-10, 03:19 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "It is a personal decision. Somewhere..."
Then people choose to be straight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2006-05-11, 08:00 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Then people choose to be straight."
We didn't choose to be straight you sick bastard. We came from our mother womb straight got it. But only sick people like you who choose being gay because he want to know how does it feel to get fucked.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses

Posted 2006-05-11, 10:00 AM in reply to osmoses's post starting "We didn't choose to be straight you..."
It still seems to be a case of nurture over nature...at least I believe it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-05-11, 11:34 AM in reply to osmoses's post starting "We didn't choose to be straight you..."
osmoses said:
We didn't choose to be straight you sick bastard. We came from our mother womb straight got it. But only sick people like you who choose being gay because he want to know how does it feel to get fucked.
How in the world does being homosexual, or bisexual make him sick? It makes him different, not sick.

Furthermore, you seem to completely lack the capacity to understand his post. He was responding to Kaneda, because Kaneda said people have to choose to be homosexual. Using that same logic, he responded to Kaneda with pretty much exactly what Kaneda said. I believe KJ's argument to be invalid, actually I believe both Kaneda's and KJ's arguments are invalid, but it would be wise to try and understand what the person is saying before you go blabbering off like a moron.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-05-11, 04:11 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "How in the world does being homosexual,..."
Perhaps they don't choose to be gay or w/e, but they weren't born that way and they did not evolve to be that way. You don't choose to be straight, it's simply the way it is. Procreation man.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-11, 04:38 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Perhaps they don't choose to be gay or..."
Yea. Even though they're born that way it's entirely their choice. Ever heard of Elton John? He almost started a "normal" family with a lady all the while knowing he was homosexual. He tried to be normal and couldn't. A lot of people do that. It doesn't sound like a choice to me when people do that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-05-11, 05:40 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "How in the world does being homosexual,..."
You've piqued my interest. What is your view on this subject?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2006-05-12, 10:32 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yea. Even though they're born that way..."
Maybe not their choice but my point is that at some point throughout life something happens to make them that way. It's not "natural".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-12, 01:05 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Study Suggests Difference in Lesbians'..."
What makes these "scientists" think that their response to the male/female hormones is what makes them gay? I think it's more likely that they respond to the hormones that way BECAUSE they are gay...

Now if they did it to children who had no sexual interest yet and those children later became gay, that would be a good study.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav