Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

vB3.7 upgrade
Posted 2008-03-23, 12:32 PM
I've begun work on the vB3.7 update. As before, use this link to see the current state of things, though there isn't much to see, right now. Untill I integrate the new version of vBA (I'm holding off since vB3.7 is still in pre-release), you'll need to manually add /forum/ to the end of the URL after clicking the above link. Below is my TODO list:
  • Investigate "template hooks"
  • Template remastering
  • Integrate vBA
  • Mod vBA
  • Migrate plugins
  • Setup settings
  • Export styles
  • Export settings
  • Switchover live datebase and upgrade
  • Import styles
  • Import settings

The longest time, by far, will be spent on "Template remastering", which basicly means rewriting all of the specially changed templates for Synthesis to incorperate the new features.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-23, 01:15 PM in reply to WetWired's post "vB3.7 upgrade"
You might like to know that clicking on User CP on the vB3.7 board brings up a database error for me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-23, 01:27 PM in reply to WetWired's post "vB3.7 upgrade"
What new features come with 3.7? None of what you said really means anything to me...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-03-23, 01:44 PM in reply to WetWired's post "vB3.7 upgrade"
Excellent! I'm looking forward to this (vBA in particular). Convincing me to create a brand-new style for Zelaron may not be too difficult at the moment...

By the way, names are merged on the online users list on the test forum:

"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-23, 06:10 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Excellent! I'm looking forward to this..."
Not sure why there's no space, but the gray is because of a missing code change.

I fixed the db error.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-23, 06:48 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Not sure why there's no space, but the..."
In non computer talk, what will we get with vB3.7?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-23, 07:05 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "In non computer talk, what will we get..."
I don't know everything yet, myself. Easiest way to see is to check it out. Be sure to change the style to "3.7 default"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-23, 07:35 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't know everything yet, myself. ..."
Oooh! Some interesting Moderator things under User CP. Saves having to log into the Mod CP every now and then to check for new posts.

For that, vB3.7 earns the Lenny Digital Tick of Approval.

EDIT: Oooooh! Groovy profiles! I like how mine shows my User picture as the sig kaos made me - Lenny, the guy with only one testicle. And so many new, interesting things in Quick Links. I'm a-gonna have me some fun looking through them all tomorrow.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-03-23 at 07:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-23, 09:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oooh! Some interesting Moderator things..."
RSS feed auto-posting is one of the most interesting vBulletin features I've seen in a while. Have a look inside the News and Events forum on the test board to see what I mean. It's perfect for our new vBA portal, too, assuming we can obtain useful (relevant?) RSS feeds.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-03-24, 09:14 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oooh! Some interesting Moderator things..."
Lenny said:
EDIT: Oooooh! Groovy profiles! I like how mine shows my User picture as the sig kaos made me - Lenny, the guy with only one testicle. And so many new, interesting things in Quick Links. I'm a-gonna have me some fun looking through them all tomorrow.
That sounds like a disturbing sig. I'll have to check it out.

It says that i don't have permission to look at the link. Why?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-24, 09:47 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "That sounds like a disturbing sig. I'll..."
Quote:
Read the first post
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-24, 10:38 AM in reply to WetWired's post "vB3.7 upgrade"
I like the new user profiles. Pretty nifty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-04-03, 01:57 PM in reply to WetWired's post "vB3.7 upgrade"
Template hooks are lame. With massive DOM abuse, I can get stuff where I want it, though.
I've gotten the non-Synthesis postbit stuff completed, without any template changes! Most of the trivial template changes have been dealt with. I'll probably write small plugins to effect the rather minor changes to the main templates for threads and forums so I don't have to worry about them getting out of date in the future. The actual forum blocks need the royal treatment, though . After that, it's just the forum home page, the header, footer, and navbar, which will be a load of fun, then the non-synthesis stuff is complete. The part which will take forever, though, is the Synthesis postbit (completely different from default) and forum page (very different); I'm debating whether to simplify the structure like in that demo a while back.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-04, 04:39 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Template hooks are lame. With massive..."
WetWired said:
I'm debating whether to simplify the structure like in that demo a while back.
Or to convince me to design a brand-new, better-than-Synthesis style with you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-04, 07:09 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Or to convince me to design a..."
Why not have both?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-04, 09:20 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "That sounds like a disturbing sig. I'll..."
Asamin said:
Yeah, I followed instructions as well and "did not qualify" so, eh. I guess I'm/it's biffed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-04-04, 10:33 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Yeah, I followed instructions as well..."
You have to have attained "Full member" status by reaching 50% activity.

http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43384
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-04, 12:15 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Why not have both?"
WetWired said:
Why not have both?
Sounds good to me. We should converse via pre-gen technology messegner soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-04, 09:49 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You have to have attained "Full member"..."
WetWired said:
You have to have attained "Full member" status by reaching 50% activity.
Aight. I guess I have something to work for now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-04-07, 09:02 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You have to have attained "Full member"..."
I like the new profiles.

What else is new?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wed-G