Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want to see a second tournament?
Yes 12 80.00%
No 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

So ends the first tournament.
Posted 2004-05-09, 11:44 PM
Well, the Video Game Melee tournament has finally come to a close. A champion has been crowned (see the Bracket Thread for details) and the arena has been emptied.

With that first (and far too long) tournament out of the way, the time has come to decide where Zelaron Melee will progress from here.

The first important question to pose is do you want to see another tournament? This first tournament was mainly an exercise in experimentation. If there are to be future tournaments, they will not take nearly as long as this one did, and they will certainly be managed much differently.

The biggest change that will be made to future tournaments is that I will no longer be judging them. I can't seem to restrain myself from participating, and to also have decisive power over the matches comes across as unfair. I tried creating new rules to accomodate this in the past, but none worked, so I will be stepping down from the judging aspect from here on out. I will continue to moderate this forum and create and update matches, but I will no longer decide the outcome.

So, I suppose the purpose of this thread is mainly to ask you if you want to see future tournaments. Take notice, that if there is to be a second tournament, it will most likely not focus on video game characters like this one did. If you all collectively decide that you want another tournament, then we will begin the process of deciding what sort of competition it will be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-05-09, 11:58 PM in reply to Raziel's post "So ends the first tournament."
As long as its not video game related, im all for it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-05-10, 07:59 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "As long as its not video game related,..."
Sovereign said:
As long as its not video game related, im all for it.
Well, who would fight if it wasn't video game related? Athletes? Pro wrestlers? It does not seem as though we have many options.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2004-05-10, 10:57 AM in reply to platnum's post starting "Well, who would fight if it wasn't..."
There's millions of possibilities people, turn those brains on, you have them for a reason.

I'd love to see another one, but I suck at the participation aspect, since I just pick who I think would win and yada yada.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-05-10, 11:22 AM in reply to Raziel's post "So ends the first tournament."
Of course! A new tournament would rock!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-05-10, 02:52 PM in reply to Raziel's post "So ends the first tournament."
Absolutely. And depending on the type of tournament will decide whether or not I will judge either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-05-10, 02:56 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Absolutely. And depending on the type..."
Comic book characters could work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2004-05-10, 06:42 PM in reply to platnum's post starting "Comic book characters could work."
I'm down for it, but I agree we should try something different than video game characters this time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2004-05-10, 06:45 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I'm down for it, but I agree we should..."
I think mini tournaments from different genres of games would be nice, like RPG battles, Action battles, Adventure battles, etc with less characters than the normal tournament.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-05-11, 05:31 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think mini tournaments from different..."
There are plenty of examples of other genres of entertainment to draw characters from. Movies, comics, books and anime would be a number of prime candidates. And, as King suggested, there's the possibility of further specifying certain categories with which to hold a series of smaller tournaments. Examples might be "Final Fantasy Characters", "Anime Villains" or "Marvel Comics Characters". There are a number of possibilities for future tournaments. That discussion, however, will be examined at greater depth in the next few days.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-05-11, 09:52 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "There are plenty of examples of other..."
Well...how about the aspect of using real people? Kinda Celebrity-Deathmatch-ish. Clinton, Bill Gates, Paris Hilton, Bush, Kerry, Hillary Duff, etc and so on.

Just an idea.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2004-05-11, 03:17 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Well...how about the aspect of using..."
You can't really show strengths and weaknesses there as easily as from games.

I'd prefer mini tournaments to big tournaments, but that's probably because this one went on way too fucking long.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-05-11, 03:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You can't really show strengths and..."
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Maybe a bunch of mini-sized, say 8 per tournament, then the winners of similar genres can have a final death match.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-05-11, 03:50 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Yeah, I'd have to agree. Maybe a bunch..."
Maybe.. depends on what it is.

Maybe movie hardasses. (No Kagom, not like that.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-05-14, 04:06 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Maybe.. depends on what it is. Maybe..."
I say eight per tournament sounds fine. We could do something like two or four small tournaments over the summer and then have the winners beat each other down in a finale. Alright, well the consensus seems to be that people want another tournament. Now's the task of deciding what sort of tournament the next one shall be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel