Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Blu-Ray Player?
Posted 2009-03-02, 10:47 AM
In Buying a blu-ray player.. What should i be looking for?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-03-02, 11:35 AM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Blu-Ray Player?"
"PLAYSTATION 3" in white/silver letters on a black background.

You want the ability to upgrade the firmware to support the latest standard, and you get to play games as a bonus.

Last edited by WetWired; 2009-03-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-03-02, 12:13 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Blu-Ray Player?"
Wolfturn said: [Goto]
In Buying a blu-ray player.. What should i be looking for?

Save some money and do the sound and image reproduction in your head:

"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-03-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-03-03, 09:22 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Save some money and do the sound and..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
Save some money and do the sound and image reproduction in your head:

Would a Ps3 have the same image and sound quality as an actual Blu-ray player? And will it have Surround sound capabilities? I have a surround sound system hooked up right now to my HDTV, but i want to get crisp HD pictures with my DVD's too.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-03-03, 12:52 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Would a Ps3 have the same image and..."
You'll need to check on the exact sound capabilities, but the images should be equal or better. It does upscale DVDs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-03-03, 02:33 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You'll need to check on the exact sound..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
You'll need to check on the exact sound capabilities, but the images should be equal or better. It does upscale DVDs.
Ok, but i will get Great HD picture and surround sound with my blu-rays right?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-03-03, 03:16 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Ok, but i will get Great HD picture and..."
Well yeah... it's a PS3, it's what it does. I'm pretty sure it does surround sound, but I'll have to check (to connect it up to a surround sound system, btw, you'd either need an optical cable from the PS3, or connect the surround sound to the HDTV).

As WW said, you need to be able to update the firmware, and as far as I know, the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player that has that capability built in (at least, I haven't heard of any other players that can do it).

If you don't go for a PS3 (booooo, hiss, shame on you!!) then look for Sony, Sharp, Panasonic or Samsung players.

Have you got a decent HDTV?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-03-03, 04:16 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well yeah... it's a PS3, it's what it..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Well yeah... it's a PS3, it's what it does. I'm pretty sure it does surround sound, but I'll have to check (to connect it up to a surround sound system, btw, you'd either need an optical cable from the PS3, or connect the surround sound to the HDTV).

As WW said, you need to be able to update the firmware, and as far as I know, the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player that has that capability built in (at least, I haven't heard of any other players that can do it).

If you don't go for a PS3 (booooo, hiss, shame on you!!) then look for Sony, Sharp, Panasonic or Samsung players.

Have you got a decent HDTV?
Eh, well its a Mitsubishi DLP. According to "The Guy at the Store", 'it runs by a type of projector thingy inside the hdtv, so it doesn't burn-in. Great for gamers' So i got that one, Its pretty big... umm if i remember correctly 72-inch or 64-inch or something like that. It doesn't really have GREAT picture like the ones in the store, but i like it. (this could be due to the fact that i don't have an HDMI cable)

In terms of buying a PS3, i would love to . But, scince i am under-age at the moment. I really have no say in what My parents are going to buy. Hopefully thanks to what you have explained to me i will be able to Convince them to get the PS3.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-03-03, 08:28 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Eh, well its a Mitsubishi DLP...."
No HDMI=no 1080p
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-03-03, 10:05 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "No HDMI=no 1080p"
Lenny, my parents have a Sony Blu-Ray player that can do firmware updates through a USB Hub in the back. All you need is a portable USB drive/stick.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-03-04, 12:13 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Lenny, my parents have a Sony Blu-Ray..."
But will it be able to upgrade to the next level they publish? Since the PS3 is a multi-purpose device, it already has resources that far-exceed any that will be needed for any Blu-Ray format they ever decide to standardize. The earliest standalone Blu-Ray players, even if you could have updated their firmware wouldn't support the BonusView level due to hardware limitations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2009-03-04, 06:49 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "But will it be able to upgrade to the..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
But will it be able to upgrade to the next level they publish? Since the PS3 is a multi-purpose device, it already has resources that far-exceed any that will be needed for any Blu-Ray format they ever decide to standardize. The earliest standalone Blu-Ray players, even if you could have updated their firmware wouldn't support the BonusView level due to hardware limitations.

True, this is a good argument. Their player is newer than the latest PS3 revision released, so I'd imagine that the hardware in it is more prepared for the future than others. It's also by Sony which is one thing I made sure of, since they're the creators. However, for older machines you might be right that they won't be able to handle the newer stuff even with an upgrade.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy