Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes~~ Review
Posted 2004-05-13, 09:43 PM
Credited to: Electronic Gaming Monthly~~

Score:8 (out of 10)

Measured against all other games, Metal Gear Solid absolutely holds up—it has an emotional, twisting story; rock-solid controls; and intense hide-and-sneak gameplay that launched a genre. If you missed the stealth-action classic on PS1, you absolutely must play this version. But judged as a remake, Twin Snakes' lack of major changes, as well as troubles with some tweaks, left me feeling just a bit disappointed.

In terms of controls, Twin Snakes faithfully reproduces Metal Gear's excellent setup and feel and adds handy new moves (hanging from ledges, stuffing guards in lockers, etc.) from MGS2. The game looks decent, like a sharper version of the original, but thanks in part to its limited color palette, Twin Snakes is far from the best we've seen on the Cube. Luckily, the revamped cut-scenes add some spice to the visuals—filled with Fight Club–esque zooms and, of course, Matrix-y slow-mo 360s, they inject new excitement and even a sight gag or two into Metal Gear's already gripping story.

But sometimes you can see the stitches where new elements were grafted on. Evading guards is tougher—they call for backup, clear rooms, and leave corpses behind when they die (for other guards to find), adding importance to staying hidden and covering your tracks. Trouble is, the levels were designed around the old A.I.; the relatively small rooms and lack of hiding places make getting away overly difficult. The ability to shoot in first-person view is another welcome feature, but it spoils the challenge of a few sections and completely ruins at least one boss battle.

Don't misunderstand me, though—this is still a good version of a great game. I just can't help thinking what might have been had Metal Gear Solid been more thoroughly reworked.

By Shawn Elliott
3/9/2004

Score:9 (out of 10)

The price of a clandestine affair with Solid Snake: five years spent sneaking through lesser, stealth-obsessed Metal Gear knockoffs. Splinter Cell notwithstanding, no other game offers so many nuanced ways to remain unnoticed. Still, there's more to Metal Gear Solid than hide-and-seek, something most copycats missed. Equipped with everything from camera-guided missiles to a ketchup bottle used to fool guards in the event that he's captured, Snake's got plenty to do when he's not playing hard to get.

The guys (and gals!) who first made the game knew they were onto something groundbreaking and, from the brilliant boss battles to the suspenseful story, spared no expense. The folks who remade it knew better than to fix what wasn't broken—everything old isn't exactly new, but it doesn't need to be. Adding anything other than a face-lift, smarter foes, and fresh cut-scenes would've been sacrilege.

By Andrew Pfister
3/9/2004

Score:8.5 (out of 10)

Well, if you're going to play a version of Metal Gear Solid, then this is definitely the one. Granted, that may not sound enthusiastic enough considering the excellent job developer Silicon Knights did, partly because despite all of the wonderful new additions to the game—and there are many—it still feels like you're playing the original MGS. Then again, the original was fantastic, so it only follows that The Twin Snakes would be at least the same. But with each new feature comes a downside: First-person aiming makes regular combat easier...but it also makes boss battles far too easy; the new cut-scenes are brilliantly produced...when they're not overdosing on painfully clichéd bullet-time effects (though Mark liked 'em all right); and the graphical overhaul is nice…but we know GameCube is capable of even better.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-05-13, 11:03 PM in reply to D3V's post "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes~~..."
Twin Snakes is a Gamecube game, you putz. Why did you post this in the Playstation forum?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-05-13, 11:58 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Twin Snakes is a Gamecube game, you..."
Temper temper Raziel. Dont make me tear off whats left of your wings -_-.

Moved to the appropraite forum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-05-14, 12:16 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Temper temper Raziel. Dont make me..."
Sovereign said:
Temper temper Raziel. Dont make me tear off whats left of your wings -_-.

Moved to the appropraite forum.
This is Dev we're talking about. I'd be justified in castrating him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-05-14, 01:13 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "This is Dev we're talking about. I'd..."
Because I was sleepy, and posted it at around midnight. Read it, its a nice review, I'm about to go buy a gamecube, I'm gonna get MarioKart: DD though..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V