Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Post How do you really give advice?
Posted 2003-09-03, 08:42 PM
I mean really... If someone comes up to you and asks to talk, and it is something serious, how are you really supposed to give advice?

I sometimes feel that just sitting there and listening is the best remedy. Sometimes just letting them get something off their chest is the only way to go really. Just intently listening and asking questions to get them to get EVRYTHING off their chests usually works best IMO, but I usually only do that because I really don't know what to say...

Seriously though, if you don't have any past experience with something, but you know they really need advice, how do you help them...?

I'm just a little sad because I don't know how to help out one of my Ex's with her family problems. We are still really close, and its mutual that we can always rely on eachother, but some things are just out of my control to help with, and I wish they weren't...

I'm just sad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-03, 08:52 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Hmmm .......

I think that giving advice is a very hard thing to do, it all depends on the situation.

If it envolves some thing that is harming some one then it is good to advise some one how to avoid it or get out of that situation.

If you feel that they may come to harm then all you can do is offer the person your information, what they do with it is up to them.

If they are just asking you because they can not make up their minds what to do, then maybe just listening will help them work out for them selves.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
0nyx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between0nyx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

0nyx

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:11 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Well, use words like "If I were you", "In my opinion,"...

Asking them questions instead would work, too. Try to relate their situations to something...you have experienced...

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:16 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:18 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Its a little hard to just blow someone off that has had such a big impact in your life. Its like your mom coming up to you and saying, "I have breat cancer," and you replying with, "Well, walk it off bitch..."

Some things are easier said than done, and I just feel helpless.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:27 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Or the next best thing, tell them to jump off a cliff. It gets them off your back and they don't have to suffer life anymore, those cheap bastards, can't even get a psychiatrist.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:27 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:28 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Hey, if she is, that is quite fine by me. Everyone can use a shoulder to lean on sometime in their life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:30 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Shining Knights

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:37 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
i usually give them advice by giving them advice, dang titus you sure do ask some random stuff sometimes which is good i guess. ill try to start doing it.... got stuff coming to mind already
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon

Posted 2003-09-03, 10:07 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Shinto Katana said:
Thats called fake friendship. And I hate being used. I've been used for three years, being vented on. Sucked so much.
I don't think that is the case for Titus, as he has stated...she is still very close to him and they rely on each other. It is not like she uses him exclusively for venting.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-03, 10:08 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
You just have to listen to what they say, and then speak from your heart as if it was you in the situation. This only tends to work if you have decent morals and know right from wrong though.

Yes Billy, I think you should kill all those sons of bitches! Make em pay!
A+ Certified PC Tech Guy/Seitentaisei
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-09-03, 10:16 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Yes, Senesia is right. I think at this point in my life I can tell who is using me and who isn't. If she wants to use me for sexual favors, I might just be obliged to let it go.

Nah, but seriously, Shinto, this is nothing like you're describing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-04, 04:44 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Shining Knights

Posted 2003-09-04, 10:46 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
So I guess Titus has a soft spot :-P
This is a time where you can find REAL friends
Listening is a good step forward.
Telling her that you will always be there if she needs you will also help. Make her feel that she has someone to back her up with what ever she chooses to do.

If you know that the choice she makes is a bad one, explain to her in detail so that she would also put that into consideration.
If you do not know what option to choose, you should ask for questions, show her that you are interested in helping her find the answer (which goes back to listening)
And if you STILL donÂ’t know then ask !!!! I am good at solving some problems myself.
Or ask Senesia or 0nyx, they seem to know how to listen!
just make sure you dont keep that bottled up inside you, she might mess YOUR life up, as i've seen happen several times now :-(
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-09-04, 12:38 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
A nie big hug helps. Just a nice big hug and they always feel better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

DrowningOnAir

Posted 2003-09-04, 04:00 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Sqrl said:
You just have to listen to what they say, and then speak from your heart as if it was you in the situation. This only tends to work if you have decent morals and know right from wrong though.
Just the complete truth is the best. Don't give them advice that will make them feel better, don't play w/ thier emotions. It may hurt, but the truth and telling them the right thing to do is always best in the long run. Thats what I do w/ my hosebeast EX. Gawd, just thinking about her gives me chills.

Last edited by Kaneda; 2003-09-04 at 04:29 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2003-09-04, 04:17 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Try to imagine yourself in that person's position. Think hard and give'em advice. I know cuz a friend of mine had a dad that drank to much. So I thought about it very hard and I told him that even if he's your father, call the cops. Not just for your, but his benifit as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-09-04, 11:44 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Kaneda said:
Just the complete truth is the best. Don't give them advice that will make them feel better, don't play w/ thier emotions. It may hurt, but the truth and telling them the right thing to do is always best in the long run. Thats what I do w/ my hosebeast EX. Gawd, just thinking about her gives me chills.
Heh, now that I'm reading all of these, this could be one of the best opinions, IMHO that is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-05, 12:59 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "How do you really give advice?"
Well i beleive the best way to help someone is to let them help themself.
I mean most time everyone know whats best for themself it s better to guide them to their own awnser instead of trying to give them some choice.

Because by giving choice you actualy decide for the person and you really dont help cause it s gonna become a habit and each time they gona have a problem it s someone else that gonna solve it make them depending of other.

Well thats what i think anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja