Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Angry Microsoft Excel
Posted 2014-10-06, 12:02 PM
I know there has to be a way. I have a list of physician's names and all pending orders for that physician. So it looks something like this

face to face | patient | dr somebody| date
face to face | new pa | dr someone | date

So, I have a list of over 400 doctors, how can I tell excel to count and tell me how many times each doctor appears without manually highlighting and counter each individual doctor?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2014-10-06, 11:11 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "Microsoft Excel"
Kazilla said: [Goto]
I know there has to be a way. I have a list of physician's names and all pending orders for that physician. So it looks something like this

face to face | patient | dr somebody| date
face to face | new pa | dr someone | date

So, I have a list of over 400 doctors, how can I tell excel to count and tell me how many times each doctor appears without manually highlighting and counter each individual doctor?

Pivot Table.

Highlight the column you want to make counts of (including the header row such as "DOCTOR"). Go to Insert -> Pivot Table, and just hit OK. On the right side, drag DOCTOR to the "Row Labels" and "Values" section at the bottom right. The Value will automatically switch to "Count of DOCTOR".
Attached Images
File Type: png excel-thing-1.png (33.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png excel-thing-2.png (35.8 KB, 6 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2014-10-07, 11:30 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Pivot Table. Highlight the column..."
ERMERGERD, I swear I was looking at pivot table all day but couldn't figure out where I was supposed to drag the information from. Jeebus, thanks man.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2014-10-08, 07:53 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Pivot Table. Highlight the column..."
Or you could just use COUNTIF depending on what your actual goal is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2014-10-08, 09:37 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Or you could just use COUNTIF depending..."
I also looked at COUNTIF but everything I saw said you had to show exactly what you wanted it to count, which would require typing in each individual doctors names, right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2014-10-08, 11:47 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I also looked at COUNTIF but everything..."
Yes. Like I said, it depends on what your actual goal is. It is, of course, possible to overcome this limitation, but it seems that the pivot table may work out better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2014-10-09, 05:56 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Pivot Table. Highlight the column..."
BlueCube said: [Goto]
Pivot Table.

Highlight the column you want to make counts of (including the header row such as "DOCTOR"). Go to Insert -> Pivot Table, and just hit OK. On the right side, drag DOCTOR to the "Row Labels" and "Values" section at the bottom right. The Value will automatically switch to "Count of DOCTOR".
I've been looking for something like this for a long time, so I'm glad this thread happened.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2014-10-09, 07:56 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "Microsoft Excel"
Of course, TBH, Excel is the wrong tool for the job. With a relational database, you could easily extract this and more...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2014-10-14, 08:15 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Of course, TBH, Excel is the wrong tool..."
What is that exactly? I know there is a microsoft application that is specifically used for databases. I just cant remember the name.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2014-10-14, 10:30 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "What is that exactly? I know there is a..."
MS Access
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2014-10-15, 01:52 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "MS Access"
Lemme ask you this. I have about 60 patients I need to track authorization for. Authorization is what the insurance gives us to see a patient (like permission). Each patient is different. Their authorization expires within a 30, 60, 90 day period. I have 5 separate disciplines I am tracking for authorizations. For instance

Joe Somebody has 5 SN visits, 3 PT vists, and 8 OT vists. This auth is good from 10/10/14 to 12/8/14.

I need to be able to create something that is visually pleasing that makes it easy to tell when additional auth is required. Is that something Access would do better than excel?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2014-10-16, 03:44 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Lemme ask you this. I have about 60..."
Quite possibly. Access lets you create forms to view records (and joined records), rather than viewing a table. You can also create a query that would include the latest (of possibly many) authorizations for a patient.

Access can be a pain if you're trying to tightly control the procedure to enter information, but if you're currently using Excel, then it's an upgrade in terms of functionality easily added and usability.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired