Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Posted 2003-07-06, 04:16 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
The processor was designed by IBM. Not sure about the actual manufacturing of the parts, but the rest of the console was designed by Nintendo.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-06, 09:41 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
IBM makes all the chips (save the gfx ones), not just the processor, so they've definitely had a say in the architecture. Either way, it's really a well-designed system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-07-06, 10:15 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
I mainly use my Xbox as a DVD player now, rather than a video game player. Sure, I play Halo every once and a while, but I also rent movies every weekend. That's why I love my Xbox, it's so good for playing DVDs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-07-07, 05:12 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
but when you use your xbox you have to buy some "extra" thing to actually watch it in your tv huh?? with the ps2 you just plug it in right from the box

and as of game ply and graffics...."if you are looking for games, go for the PS2, for the grafics, go for the x-box and as for the gcube, its just there!!!" the PS@ games are prettyh cheap now a days. sure when the games come out it will be 50 bucks but if you just wait a while it probably go down to about 16 to 20 bucks.....i.e. grand theft auto vice city, it was 50 bucks now is 19.99

xbox, i have to say has good graphics, some companies say its even better than ps2, it just that thay dont have that many "good" games. well splinter cell, but it also came out in ps2 later on, it actually depends on if the other company is going to make the same game or not, is ps2 coming out with halo?? who knows, it might just happen, for those people who just dont want to buy the xbox, you guys are just missing out!

gcube-it just there,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-07-07, 08:07 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
J_iceman said:
is ps2 coming out with halo??
I doubt it, but it WILL come out for PC eventually.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-07-07, 08:55 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Rurouni Storm said:
IBM makes all the chips (save the gfx ones), not just the processor, so they've definitely had a say in the architecture. Either way, it's really a well-designed system.
Doh, you're right. I was mixing up a bunch of shit in my head. ArtX did the GFX chips, IBM did the others.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-08, 12:11 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
NonGayMan said:
I mainly use my Xbox as a DVD player now, rather than a video game player. Sure, I play Halo every once and a while, but I also rent movies every weekend. That's why I love my Xbox, it's so good for playing DVDs.
ok, then why spend $180 on a low-end, non progressive scan DVD player/video game console if you can buy a new progressive scan higher-end DVD player for half the price?
Sovereign's REAL sig
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
GameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

GameCube

Posted 2003-07-08, 02:09 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
how do you guys do that?? putting the qute the other person wrote and then talking about it??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-07-09, 11:59 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
um...you click the button by their post that says "quote"
Sovereign's REAL sig
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
GameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGameCube is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

GameCube

Posted 2003-07-10, 03:33 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
GameCube said:
um...you click the button by their post that says "quote"
lets see if it works, hey ^@#$^%$
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

J_iceman

Posted 2003-07-11, 06:30 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
I have a PS2, a GCN, and a 70$ Sony DVD player. Know what? I play dvd's in the dvd player. Why? Because its several times better then the PS2.

Yes, the PS2 is a bad system architecturaly. It has many, many problems. It lags, it can crash. It doesn't excatly do a marvelous job at playing DVDs either.

Though, if you do want some gratification for the PS2 itself (excluding games), someone did hook several hundred PS2's together to make a supercomputer able to do several trillion actions a second.

If I want to play a good game, I look to see what's on the Gamecube. If it's by nintendo, I know it'll be a damn good game, and worth buying and playing. I'd also wager the *only* reason why everyone here has such animosity towards GCN is because Nintendo made a small mistake when they calculated what the industry would need with processing power, well they're definately making a stronger one, and I hope it'll be able to play GCN games too. Gamecube is also the easiest of the three consoles to program for. Oh and yes, cel shaded or "animated" look in 3D modeling is dozens of times harder then fancy realistic graphics like Doom 3.

I played Zelda: WW twice, and will probably play it again later. It's a good game, great gameplay, I personally love the sailing, and the graphics are phenominal.

Anyways ontopic, want to know a business reason why Sony and Microcrap are putting dvd players and extras on their consoles? Because they don't have faith in their own systems, hell the guy who designed the Xbox left the company a few days after it was released because he knew how bad the system was. Nintendo knows they make great games, they know their systems can do everything they need them to do, and that gameplay is more valuable the graphics any day. If you like graphics more then gameplay, go grab a 3D modeling program and make yourself a playmate. You'd have all graphics no gameplay, have fun.

I don't use the PS2 as a dvd player, I wouldn't. An actual dvd player is much, much cheaper and will work much, much better.

Btw, did you know Sony makes Potato Chips? They do, they make just about anything. Nintendo specializes in games and gaming, and know their material 100x as well as microcrap or sony. The only reason why Sony is in the industry is because they offered to make a CD attachment for the Nintendo, and they turned the offer down. Hence the psx (ps1) was born. Microcrap is in it for the money, nothing else. Go figure too. They have mafia like tactics in business, you know. I certainly wouldn't want the mob of the hi tech world running an industry I love.

Blah blah, rant is over.

Buy a gaming console to play games, not to listen to music or watch movies. If you want something that does all that, just get a better computer stupid.

PS: Just a complaint, but god damn half the people here can't even talk correctly. If you can't speak right or show proper understanding of your *own language* how can someone take your side as valid? I mean come on, what the heck?! Ignoring the fact most of those individuals are children. I've known quite a few kids with far better lingual ability then THAT.
What I've learned from living in this country : America is a bad word, so is Religion.

Last edited by Tai; 2003-07-11 at 06:35 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Tai

Posted 2003-07-11, 07:02 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
good thoughts.
too bad FF left Nitendo, or Nitendo would have dominated the market.
It's physically impossible for you to lick your elbow when intact to your miserable body.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Strider Fury is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenStrider Fury is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Strider Fury

Posted 2003-07-11, 11:00 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Tai said:
......want to know a business reason why Sony and Microcrap are putting dvd players and extras on their consoles? Because they don't have faith in their own systems,.....
i thought that made it a dvd player because the games have dvd quality in the games, making it harder to copy, and better graffics
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

J_iceman

Posted 2003-07-12, 01:39 AM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
J_Iceman said:
i thought that made it a dvd player because the games have dvd quality in the games, making it harder to copy, and better graffics
GCN, PS2 and XBOX Games are all on DVDs. They've got a lot more space than CD-ROMs, and they are harder to pirate. Nintendo releases their games on mini-DVDs, because those are even tougher to copy.

Tai said:
Microcrap is in it for the money, nothing else. Go figure too. They have mafia like tactics in business, you know. I certainly wouldn't want the mob of the hi tech world running an industry I love.
Funny you should mention that. Nintendo just spent somewhere in the ballpark of 700 million dollars buying back their own stock shares. They did it in order to ward off a possible hostile takeover by none other than (you guessed it) Microsoft. This just proves further that Nintendo is only interested in making quality video games, and Microsoft is only interested in the homogenization and acquisition of every competing corporate entity.

Nintendo is where the real heart, the life of the video game industry lies. Microsoft is where the death of that industry lies. Buy Nintendo, shun Microsoft.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-12, 12:59 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Squaresoft is no more, it's partnered with enix. And they've started making a few games for GCN. Hopefully they'll make more and more for Nintendo, since the PS2 is dying now. Boy wouldn't that be an interesting turn around if Squarenix became GCN exclusive?
What I've learned from living in this country : America is a bad word, so is Religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Tai

Posted 2003-07-12, 05:24 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Tai said:
Boy wouldn't that be an interesting turn around if Squarenix became GCN exclusive?
Ain't gonna happen since Sony still owns a fair chunk of the company.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-07-12, 06:53 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Rurouni Storm said:
Ain't gonna happen since Sony still owns a fair chunk of the company
That's what people thought about Rare, RS.

Personally, here's what I'd love to see happen:

Square has, for a long time, been using multiple design teams for their various projects, including two different teams for their Final Fantasy franchise. A separate team of designers was used for FF9 than the team that designed FF8 and 10. The FF10 team is currently working on FFX-2 for the PS2 and the FF9 team is currently working on Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube. Considering that I hated Final Fantasies 8 and 10, and I loved 9, I couldn't be happier that my favorite of the two teams is designing games for Gamecube.

My hope is that this trend continues indefinitely. I hope that the badass FF9 team continues to produce games solely for Nintendo, and the awful FF10 team continues to churn out crap for Sony. If this is the way things continue, I'll be dancing the giddiest fucking jig in the history of giddy jigs!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-12, 09:48 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
There's also rumours of a third team working on a real FF12.

And unfortunately, Crystal Chronicles is supposed to a Diablo-ish game, not a real FF. Hell, you even need 4 GBAs hooked up in order to change equipment in MP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-07-12, 11:35 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Crystal Chronicles is an Action/RPG (think Secret of Mana). And you don't have to play with any more than one person. The multiplayer element just adds further depth to the game.

And If FF8 and 10 are what the future of "real Final Fantasy" looks like, I'd rather play Crystal Chronicles.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-07-14, 09:28 PM in reply to GameCube's post ""Video Game" consoles that are way out..."
Rurouni Storm said:
Soulmaster said:
Timesplitters 2 for XboX
Also on PS2
It was, and I was pissed cause I don't have an Xbox and the PS2 one is nowhere near as good =( Still not enough to make me go buy an Xbox tho mainly because I don't want to support microsoft any more than I really have to...
Blah
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Soulmaster is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSoulmaster is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Soulmaster