Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Interesting political bulletin posted by Otep
Posted 2008-06-04, 02:37 PM
Dear Friends, Foes, and everyone in between,

I understand that the 2 most taboo subjects to discuss in this country are politics and religion. These are combustible topics that can, if not handled in a respectful manner, destroy alliances forever. So, it is expected whenever we speak out with a political message that some will be opposed and many others will be supportive.

It was true when we wrote WARHEAD and I gave the same speech I give every time we play it --- MOST OF YOU who were fans back then supported GW BUSH and were upset that I was taking such a bold stance. Oh, the irony!! Now it's one of our most popular songs EVER. And ye gods, the video! Many more of you accused me of treason for what is in that video! And now look where we are - the economy, the war. I don't want to be that girl that says I TOLD YOU SO -- BUT YOU KNOW -- I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO. And now when we play WARHEAD, the whole place erupts with FUCK BUSH chants and proud patriotic horns in the air. Yes, indeed. It only took you 7 years to see the truth but I get that some of you are resistant to change, and those of us who embrace terrify you. But so be it, and I digress.

Yesterday, marked an historic moment for this nation. Yesterday, we slapped down our ugly, hypocritical, and shameful past of slavery, indigenous genocide, segregation, voting restrictions, and the spiritual sewer of racism, sexism, and hate. It was an AMAZING moment to witness. I know some never thought they'd see the day. And regardless of your personal opinion on Obama or Clinton, its undeniable that this nation has finally taken an amazing step toward fulfilling the promised capacity instilled in the very lifeblood of our beloved country. The first bi-racial man and first woman were the top tier candidates of a major political party, wow, this is truly historic.

If you have no idea why this is such a "big deal" then you haven't been paying attention. And this, my friends, is why Bush and his monkey cohorts have been able to ravage our national treasures to the point of economic and spiritual bankruptcy. Or, you've been watching too much FOX news and reading all that conspiracy theory bullshit. Take off the foil hats people! We need you informed and in the streets! Not cowering in your rooms waiting for the end of world to strike (AGAIN!) But, again, I digress.

Now, look, you don't have to like Obama, or hate Bush, and you don't have to agree with me on any of my or the band's political or personal choices to support our music. That's not what this is about. It's about respect.

I know politics is a hot button topic and I expect to receive passionate responses. It's the nature of the beast. What I did not expect, FROM OUR FANS, was the hate and racist bullshit that some of you vomited at me. Some of you even regressed to a hillbilly vermin mindset and tried posting the word NIGGER on the OBAMA photo on our profile.

WTF is wrong with you mooks? Are you drunk, stupid, or mentally challenged, or ALL 3?

Not only is this beyond disrespectful and distasteful, but it's disappointing.

I stand with other artists and singers who denounce such idiocy and want nothing to do with it or those who espouse such views. On the liner notes for Incesticide, Kurt Cobain voiced his anger in a blunt statement to Nirvana fans: "If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us - leave us the fuck alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records.

"

I concur with him and do not care who we lose over this position. We are a message driven band and without principles we are nothing, our music is nothing.

To those who might not agree with our political or personal choices but still support our music, we appreciate your belief and thank you for listening.

In art,
Otep Shamaya

I don't even really listen to this band, but that was a decent, un-biased way to explain her opinions IMO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-