Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Should post count be removed? (Read thread and comment)
Yes 8 27.59%
No 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2004-02-21, 08:03 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "I voted Yes but I meant no. Don't think..."
Well postcount hasn't been at every forum that i've been to, and those without it do just fine, in fact they really do have less spam than those i visit that have it.

The original purpose of the activity bar was actually to increase support for the complete removal of post count--judging from the responses now and comparing them to responses before, it has... Also, the activity bar is meant to help the noobies spot the people who are active, as has been stated, the active people know who's active, but the new members do not.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:20 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Well postcount hasn't been at every..."
Oh, and in respect to !K_A!'s post, as Kuja`s #1 stated, he meant opposite of what he voted... 9-3 in opposition.

I do agree with Tidus2005 though, I really did initally like how the member title changed with a certain amount of posts. Honestly, that is the only reason I'm still around here. I initially came for Diablo Bot help, and to leech ( ), but after seeing my Title constantly changing, I became intrigued.

Anyway...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:21 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Oh, and in respect to !K_A!'s post, as..."
I came for Diablo 2 info, and i want to become a member soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:34 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Well postcount hasn't been at every..."
Didn't mean to get you worked up over a Stupid Little Hack.

That fact is, if you get rid of post count. That will start a huge war for about 3 days with members pissed. Could also even lose alot of activity/members because of it.

1. I would acually like to see it go, but think it is a bad idea because of the loss of members, ect...

2. Your dealing with alot of kids on this site. Ages from 14-18. So being a forum with a dominating age rang like that, you should expect spam, and or useless post.

Which ever way the staff goes, i'm in full support with them, as i also been. I do like the idea of it leaving, i did it on my forum from the start untill we upgrading to Vb 3. No one really had any problems with it. Though my board is much smaller and not as active yet. I also have higher age rang on my site, seeing we advertise on a site where alot of older people go. And like WetWired said, it does help with spam. I go to alot of site with out the post count and there spam is much less.

Edit: Perfect example of spam - The post below me. HandOfHeaven. He needs to be in the Losers User Group. Notice how i EDITED my thread handofheaven!

Last edited by LiveWire; 2004-02-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:35 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Didn't mean to get you worked up over a..."
Like me and Kuja's #1 posting useless threads.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:36 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Didn't mean to get you worked up over a..."
If people leave the forums because the number of posts they have made is no longer displayed below their name then they don't deserve to be here in the first place. The sheer fact that it seems that important to anyone seems reasonable grounds for removal to me.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:38 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "If people leave the forums because the..."
Well its not soo much the post count that i like, but its the activity that boosts you to member/senior member.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:38 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "If people leave the forums because the..."
Medieval Bob said:
If people leave the forums because the number of posts they have made is no longer displayed below their name then they don't deserve to be here in the first place. The sheer fact that it seems that important to anyone seems reasonable grounds for removal to me.
I dissagree. There kids, and normally are ammused by the littlest things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:41 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I dissagree. There kids, and normally..."
Speak for yourself.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:47 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Didn't mean to get you worked up over a..."
LiveWire said:
Didn't mean to get you worked up over a Stupid Little Hack.

That fact is, if you get rid of post count. That will start a huge war for about 3 days with members pissed. Could also even lose alot of activity/members because of it.

1. I would acually like to see it go, but think it is a bad idea because of the loss of members, ect...

2. Your dealing with alot of kids on this site. Ages from 14-18. So being a forum with a dominating age rang like that, you should expect spam, and or useless post.

Which ever way the staff goes, i'm in full support with them, as i also been. I do like the idea of it leaving, i did it on my forum from the start untill we upgrading to Vb 3. No one really had any problems with it. Though my board is much smaller and not as active yet. I also have higher age rang on my site, seeing we advertise on a site where alot of older people go. And like WetWired said, it does help with spam. I go to alot of site with out the post count and there spam is much less.

Edit: Perfect example of spam - The post below me. HandOfHeaven. He needs to be in the Losers User Group. Notice how i EDITED my thread handofheaven!
I think the people who would get mad are the people who are probly here for post counts(why?), and if they left I wouldnt care... but it seems senior members are wanting to keep it

My question is... even if you want to keep it, would you be mad if it was taken out?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-21, 10:48 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Speak for yourself."
[offtopic] If i was a moderator, you would have been banned along time ago. Keep spamming you will become a moderator in no time. [/offtopic]

Ontopic: He is part of the reason for the no post count rule. If it was possiable for me to change my vote to yes, i would.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 11:41 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "If i was a moderator, you would have..."
I just really don't see this issue as a problem. If someone posts something that is shit, you don't have to read it. You can put members on your ignore list and their posts will never show up to you. There are so many other alternatives to getting people's spam stopped from a member's perspective, that this topic shouldn't even be feasible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-21, 11:42 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I just really don't see this issue as a..."
I don't like the idea of ignoring someone, sometimes they can make a very interesting thread. Most of the time that is unlikey to happen
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 11:45 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I don't like the idea of ignoring..."
Well, you can still read their threads/posts if you elect to. This can easily be gauged by the reaction to their post, if any, from other's posts to see if it is even worth it though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-22, 12:40 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, you can still read their..."
I think post count proves how much of a life you have The higher the number the sader your case, unless your a real old member.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arbitus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArbitus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arbitus

Posted 2004-02-22, 01:42 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Post Count"
Medieval Bob said:
The purpose of Zelaron (in my opinion) is the progression of ideas, the spread of thought, and the discussion of important topics.

When Zelaron experienced the rollback recently, people were dissapointed. I understand this as I was dissapointed myself. I was not angry at anyone for the crash.

The only things I view as a loss are the ideas that were lost because of it. The discussions that were active before it happened are no longer present.

The main complaints, however, that I saw from other users was that their post count had gone down or their activity bar had receded.

Guess what I saw right after the rollback...

I move that post count should be removed completely. I'm also adverse to the activity bar, but this thread isn't concerning that. What do you think the post count is good for?

The members here know who has been here and who hasn't. We know who is active. We know who has contributed with good posts and who has spammed. What do we need a post count for?
in my oppinion the post count is important to any forum.I like seeing how many times I've posted.Activity is more important but post count is important too in my oppinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-22, 02:19 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Post Count"
Plain and simple, no
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-02-22, 06:01 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "Plain and simple, no"
I don't see how post count is hurting anyone. It doesn't cause people to spam like you might think, people would still spam after it's gone.

Instead of trying to put the fault on the numbers, put the fault on the people. Do something about the spammers. I know I use to be one. I finally chilled out. So will they. Just speed up the process.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-02-22, 07:42 PM in reply to Acer's post starting "Like he said tho, people do make..."
Acer said:
Like he said tho, people do make threads/posts just to get the count up. I have to filter threw all those just to find a good thread/post to reply to.
Acer said:
Yes but people can spam and become so called "seniors" over people who been here for a long time.

then those ppl should/will be punished
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MarkiX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMarkiX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MarkiX

Posted 2004-02-22, 08:16 PM in reply to MarkiX's post starting "then those ppl should/will be punished"
yeah i'll try hard not to make useless posts, and i think Kuja's should to. And why do you want me to get banned LiveWire? Is it because I'm white?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven