Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Clueless on RPG Maker
Posted 2007-03-23, 04:42 PM
I just downloaded RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition.

I have no clue where to start!

Is there any tips you guys could give me to help me out?
Is there any FAQS for beginners?
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haroskyline is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenharoskyline is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haroskyline

Posted 2007-03-24, 01:21 PM in reply to haroskyline's post "Clueless on RPG Maker"
Start by fooling around. I would personally benefit from people asking for demos of how to accomplish certain things with RMXP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2007-03-24, 04:44 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Start by fooling around. I would..."
Betcha that someone beats you to it every time!

In fact, if we were racing, I'd definitely give it a shot!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-03-25, 06:34 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Betcha that someone beats you to it..."
Hmm.. well I figured out how to set up skills and character and such, but I don't know how to make battles occur and how do I make NPC's?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haroskyline is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenharoskyline is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haroskyline

Posted 2007-03-25, 06:45 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Betcha that someone beats you to it..."
I can't figure out how to make battles or NPC's.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

haroskyline

Posted 2007-03-25, 07:26 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Betcha that someone beats you to it..."
I don't know how to make NPC's or battles.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

haroskyline

Posted 2007-03-27, 02:32 PM in reply to haroskyline's post starting "I don't know how to make NPC's or..."
For NPC's, make an event where you want them to be, and set their graphic to the NPC you wish. To make one speak, turn the event to action button, and do the text command.

Battles are set in the database under troops or something, I believe.

Preset battles should be started with an event command, battle processing, I think.

Hmm... Too many "I thinks"

I haven't used it in a while, I need to refresh my memory.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

NPC
Posted 2007-03-27, 02:51 PM in reply to haroskyline's post starting "Hmm.. well I figured out how to set up..."
NPC's? I think you select layer 4, right click and select "New Event" or just press "enter" and the "New Event" box will appear in front of you. Double click on graphics and just select the character you want to have on your map and click okay. (Also note that you can click on the character facing different angels). If you don't know what a Event is then it is used for actions the hero, npc's and enemies do. You can double click on @> (In list of event commands) and then choose between various of things. To begin with double click the @> and select (In 1 (there are 3 lists)) "Show Text..." and write something like:

Sebastian:
"Beautiful day, is it not?"

Think that is the only way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Nero Angelo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNero Angelo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Nero Angelo

Posted 2007-03-27, 03:01 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "For NPC's, make an event where you want..."
A whole one! Atnas, you're dropping in standard, I have to say.

Chances are that RMXP:PKE is different to the bogstandard version, but battles are thus made:

First of all, you need to set up the monsters, and what is in each group. This is done in the Database under the headings: Monster and Monster Group.

To set up random enocunters, right click your map on the left hand menu of the map building screen, select Map Properties, and add monster groups to the listbox (Encounters) on the right of the pop up menu (just double click the space). The higher the encounter number is, the more random encounters there are, I believe.

To set up your own specific battle, make an event and choose "Enemy Encounter" from the third page of events.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-03-27, 05:09 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "A whole one! Atnas, you're dropping in..."
Sorry for my digression...

I really have been concentrating on graphics and scripts too much.

Grr... My damned work pattern. It only lets me procede when materials are complete.

Maybe a nice short game this weekend would help me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2007-03-28, 10:06 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Sorry for my digression... I really..."
Awww, poor Atty.

Make a short game, and post it! Show off a few daft things that you think are nice, and we can play it!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-03-28, 10:37 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Awww, poor Atty. Make a short game,..."
Can do.

I'll probably just fool around a little, nothing too serious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas