Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Post Sony PSP Details Revealed
Posted 2004-07-05, 04:21 AM
Sony PSP details revealed

Find out what will be powering Sony's upcoming handheld.

In the PlayStation Meeting 2003, Sony Computer Entertainment revealed details and specifications for its upcoming handheld, the PSP. SCE described the PSP as the "21st-century Walkman," showing confidence in the company's upcoming product, which utilizes a number of high-end components. The PSP will consist of two microprocessors, an advanced sound engine, a 3D graphics engine, a 4.5-inch, 16:9-format TFT LCD screen, and a number of connection capabilities.

The PSP will run under two 32-bit MIPS R4000 microprocessors, described by SCE president Ken Kutaragi as each having 10 times the clock speed of the PlayStation’s CPU and the same amount of power as the PlayStation 2's CPU. One of the microprocessors will be used as the CPU, and the other will be utilized as an engine dedicated to handling media, such as movies and music, with its own 2MB of memory. Although the PSP's main memory will be 8MB, Kutaragi commented that it is an extraordinary volume for a handheld game console. In general, all the components used in the PSP are designed for low-energy consumption since it is a portable device, and the microprocessors feature a low-voltage (1.2V) design.

The GPU (graphics processor unit) will work as both a 3D rendering engine and a surface drawing engine. Morphing, tessellation, and other rendering abilities are supported by hardware to reduce the loads on programs. The GPU will come with 2MB of VRAM and a bus with a 5.3gbps transfer rate. In theory, the PSP will be able to handle a maximum of 33 million polygons a second. In terms of sound, the PSP will feature 3D sound and 7.1 channels, adopting the use of a digital signal processor named the VME (virtual mobile engine). The VME is a technology developed by Sony for use in its portable MD and MP3 players, and it allows sounds to be processed with less energy consumption compared with traditional DSPs (digital sound processors). As firmware, the VME can be updated to the latest instruction codes when required. The PSP's VME will also allow playback of MP3-, AAC-, and ATRAC3-format music under SCE's current plans.

The control buttons for the PSP are similar to the PlayStation joypad--there will be circle, cross, triangle, square, R1, L1, start, and select buttons, as well as a directional pad and an analog stick. As revealed in prior announcements, the PSP will read proprietary 60mm-wide optical disks named UMDs (universal media discs) that can hold up to 1.8GB. The PSP will support advanced-video-coding-format MPEG4s that have high compression rates, and one UMD can contain up to two hours of DVD-quality video. There will be an advanced encryption technology used on the PSP for the copy protection of software as well. In terms of communication, the PSP will come equipped with 802.11-standard LAN, IrDA, and USB 2.0. 802.11-standard LAN is a wireless LAN specification that can communicate in a 100-meter range with a transfer rate of up to 2mbps, and IrDA is a standard for infrared wireless communication.

To promote early development of games, SCE plans to distribute development kits for the PC that will emulate the PSP at about a 10th of its actual speed. A more complete hardware-based developer kit will be released in spring 2004. SCE aims to make programming software for the PSP as easy to develop as the original PlayStation, and it also aims to provide programmers with a number of libraries and middleware to support development.

The prototype of the PSP and several game titles are scheduled to be revealed at E3 2004, followed by a display of games at the Tokyo Game Show 2004, and the release of the handheld in the last fiscal quarter of 2004. No price was revealed for the PSP in today's announcements.

PSP Specifications:

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core

1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pixel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shockproof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

This new portable is going to be the shit. Nice 4.3 screen, USB hookups , Playable FULL movies, Play your music, Nice, sleek look, WiFi compatible for online play. Gonna pwn the DS.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-07-15, 02:05 AM in reply to D3V's post "Sony PSP Details Revealed"
D3V said:
Gonna pwn the DS.
I can give you a cornucopia of reasons why you're wrong on that one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-15, 06:30 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I can give you a cornucopia of reasons..."
lmao this thread is going to be the same as it was before the database error...

DS is still gonna own PSP because it has double screens which of one has touchscreen ability, this could bring in some real original gameplay. Thats 100x more worth to me than the l33t power the psp has.

Then some1 is going reply, have fun playing mario and pokemon...to indicate its going to be a kiddy machine.

then some1 else is going to say, Mario and other nintendo games are great, dont see why those games cant be fun, just because they dont have gore and dark settings doesnt mean they're for kids only.

that sums up about the entire thread as it was.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2004-07-17, 11:26 PM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "lmao this thread is going to be the..."
Ok Look. Have you seen any pictures of this? Its So Ugly looking, and how ofter are you 'actually' going to use the Touchscreen during gameplay....?

Origional gameplay? Hardly. Most of Nintendo's games are multiplatform and the ones aren't, are themselves 'Kiddy Games'. Don't get me wrong, I love MarioKart DS, SSB4, DBZ Boudakai, etc.

Look, the PSP has More 'mature' games, indeed. But the titles alone will beat the DS. The PSP's lineup just for the releasal has highly outnumbered the DS and the DS will be released months earlier.

The PSP Can play FULL MOVIES. FULL MUSIC CDs, Has Wifi, a damn USB hookup for external storage, etc. Has a sweet ass 4.3inch plasma screen which has great great quality. On the other hand, the Ds just has two gameboy advance screens, and one is 'touch' screen. But the actual touch screen isn't big enough to use for the average Teenager, it's a few inches by a few inches, what are you going to do, hit ok? You can just use the A button or the Start button for that.

PSP wins.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-07-18, 12:07 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Ok Look. Have you seen any pictures of..."
Here we go...

I really almost kind of feel bad for Sony in this situation. They're walking into a minefield with the PSP. Nintendo has owned 100% of the portable market for how many years now? Five? Seven? Ten?

I don't think Sony understands the danger of this particular market. Handhelds are primarily dominated by a specific age demographic, those being kids age 6 to 14. Any age demographic above that doesn't hold nearly as much of the pie. Who are the people that are plunking down all the cash for those handhelds? Parents. Think about it logically: are a kid's parents going to shell out 200, perhaps 300 bucks so their kid can have another handheld? You know how parents are about these things: "Don't you already have one of those? I'm not buying you that!" That eliminates Sony's hopes of taking hold of the young gamer demographic.

What about older gamers? I'm talking about 15-25 year old nerds that carry their GBA with them wherever they go. What real motivation is there for an older nerd to pick up a PSP? Any older gamer who is interested in portable gaming already owns a Gameboy Advance, and has come to trust Nintendo as being The Bible in terms of handheld gaming. They automatically trust Nintendo, and are probably already intending to pick up a DS. So, that right there eliminates Sony's potential grasp on the older nerd demographic.

Sony's only hope of success with the PSP is to target older, casual gamers. The kinds of guys that own a PS2, a copy of GTA: Vice City and a few Madden games. Sony is banking the success of the PSP on the notion that there will be this massive influx of non-gamer college students and late-highschool kids that suddenly feel the need to play video games between classes. The PSP isn't being marketed to kids, parents shopping for Christmas presents or older nerds. It's being marketed to older "casual" gamers, and that's a really sketchy demographic to market a handheld for. I honestly can't tell you of a single college-age frat-type-guy that I know is just itching to pick up a portable gaming device.

I really think this is a bad move on Sony's part. It's certainly ballsy of them to try and wedge their way into this market, but I honestly can't see them getting anywhere with it. There's always a chance I could be horribly wrong about this, but logic dictates otherwise.

On top of that, since Sony announced that the PSP won't be coming out this year, their only option is to wait until next year. That automatically cuts the PSPs sales drastically. Why? Because the DS is coming out in November. The thing is finished, and it has a massive library of games to draw upon for launch, considering that it's backwards compatible with the Gameboy.

This winter, parents all over the country are going to be buying $120 to $150 DS handhelds for their kids this Christmas. Does Sony really think that those same parents are going to spend $200 to $300 on another handheld next winter? Hell no. Sony's only option is to release it this summer, when kids are out of school and can get jobs so they can buy the hardware themselves. If Sony waits unil next November, it will be too late. The DS will already be holding the vast majority of the market, and those buying kids will be back in school.

I'm genuinely impressed with the PSP, I truly am, but Sony will fail. Nintendo has beat out 9 competitors in the handheld market and they did it with a clunky grey brick with nauseating green graphics. They have held 100% of the market for almost a decade. Again, I truly feel sorry for Sony, because the PSP will die.

You want an even better reason why the PSP will fail miserably?

The Sony PSP is basically a portable PS2. The screen is phenomenal, the graphics processing capabilities are astounding and it's an extremely sleek machine. It is capable of handling PS2-level graphics and the size of the games will probably be no issue either.

And that is precisely where Sony's problem lies.

It has already been established in America that consumers will not pay the same amount of money for a handheld game as they will for a home console game. Consumers expect handheld games to be 10 to 20 dollars cheaper, and to try and price them any higher than that is financial suicide. Nintendo has established this fact, and consumers will expect this same amount of pricing from Sony.

On the flipside, if people buy the PSP, they are going to expect PS2-quality games. They are going to want games that stack up technologically and structurally to a hit PS2 game. The problem with that is that PS2 games cost an enormous amount of money to produce. That's where Sony makes all of their video game profit, on the games themselves. Sony already loses enough money on their consoles, so the games have to be priced very high in order to make up for it.

This creates a very serious problem for Sony. We have already established that Sony can not afford to price their PSP games too high. The public won't stand for it. We have also already established, though, that Sony can not release lower-than-PS2 quality games on the PSP. The public expects PS2 quality games. So, what is Sony's only option? Ports. Sony's only viable chocie with the PSP is to load it up with ports and hope that the public doesn't have a problem with paying for a portable version of the games they already own.

The PSP is going to fail. It will die, just like every other handheld that has challenged Nintendo.

The PSP has every possible odd stacked against it. Already the PSP has had 75% of it's potential userbase dissolved, already it has had it's launch timeframe diminished and has had that time frame lose a lot of potency. Plus, the game selection on the handheld has shown a forecast of severe weakness.

Like I said, it's a very nifty piece of technology, but it won't go anywhere. There's nowhere for it to go.

D3V said:
Ok Look. Have you seen any pictures of this? Its So Ugly looking, and how ofter are you 'actually' going to use the Touchscreen during gameplay....?
Ugly looking? Does it have to have naked women painted on the case in order to not look ugly by your definition?

Quote:
Origional gameplay? Hardly.
Ha! Do you call a roster full of PSP ports original gameplay?

Quote:
Most of Nintendo's games are multiplatform and the ones aren't, are themselves 'Kiddy Games'.
Are you insane? "Most of Nintendo's games are multiplatform." Pardon me, sir, but I'd like you to tell me what other platforms any gameboy game ever made has appeared on. I'd like you to tell me what alternate platforms (besides the Phillips CD-i Zelda games) any of the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero, Fire Emblem or Pokemon games have appeared on besides Nintendo platforms.

On top of that, I'd like you to name a single child (people ages 5 to 12, we'll say) that would be capable of beating F-Zero GX, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Metroid Prime, Mario 64 or Fire Emblem. I had a hard fucking time beating those games, there's no way a kid could do it.

Quote:
Look, the PSP has More 'mature' games, indeed. But the titles alone will beat the DS. The PSP's lineup just for the releasal has highly outnumbered the DS and the DS will be released months earlier.
Again, are you insane? The PSP will have a maximum number of possibly 50 games at it's launch. The DS will have well over 600. Why? Because it's backwards compatible with the GBA. Pull your head out of your ass.

Quote:
The PSP Can play FULL MOVIES. FULL MUSIC CDs, Has Wifi, a damn USB hookup for external storage, etc. Has a sweet ass 4.3inch plasma screen which has great great quality. On the other hand, the Ds just has two gameboy advance screens, and one is 'touch' screen. But the actual touch screen isn't big enough to use for the average Teenager, it's a few inches by a few inches, what are you going to do, hit ok? You can just use the A button or the Start button for that.
All the hardware in the world won't save the PSP. Let's take a quick look at the annals of history, shall we?

Gameboy: Clunky grey brick with nauseating green graphics, two face buttons and poor sound capabilities.

Vs.

Sega Game Gear: A slightly prettier, black brick with more roundness to it, more face buttons and color graphics.

The winner? Gameboy.

The same thing occured every single time a new portable competitor entered the market. The Atari Lynx, the Sega Nomad and the Nokia N-Gage have all been technologically superior to the version of the gameboy that they have competed against, and they, along with 5 other technologically superior competitors, have fallen before the mighty Gameboy.

The PSP will have a terrible selection of games throughout the entirety of it's lifespan, it will cost far too much for the key portable gaming demographics to afford and it will be released too late for anyone to care.

PSP dies.

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-07-18 at 12:19 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-18, 12:22 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Here we go... I really almost kind..."
Wow, Raziel, you wrote a fucking VOLUME on that shit. As pro-sony as I may be I'm with Raziel on this one. Everyone trust Nintendo for handhelds and thus will look there for them. Sony is stepping into the handheld market about the same way as the X-Box did the console market which wasn't too damn pretty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2004-07-18, 12:28 AM in reply to Slim's post starting "Wow, Raziel, you wrote a fucking VOLUME..."
Actually, I harvested the first part (before I started quoting D3V) from previous posts. Everything after that was new material.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-18, 01:15 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Actually, I harvested the first part..."
Jesus christ!

The PSP will definately dominate and . The reliance on both Sony's Memory Stick and computer staples such as USB 2.0 should help to integrate the device with the other gadgetry customers may own, but the lack of storage and the reliance on expensive Memory Sticks could wind up diminishing the PSP's prospects of becoming an ubiquitous portable entertainment device, (unless cheap UMD burners and media quickly appear, a move which would undermine anti-piracy measures while at the same time increasing the number of people willing to invest in a PSP). The 16:9 aspect ratio of the lovely looking display will no doubt be used to great effect in driving and RPG games, but most punters will see it as perfect for watching movies on. But if there is no way of doing this unless you shell out for UMD versions of movies then the chances of this aspect of the PSP's potential generating a respectable amount of interest and corresponding business looks rather slim.

Sony has taken notes from Apple by offering a choice of colours for the PSP. The PSP weighs about the same as a ninebar with similar proportions, which from my experience means it will be weighty but should slip into most jacket pockets. It may become tiring holding it up for a long time, and the weight balancing will need to be carefully thought out, as you don't want the device oscillating in your hands as you mash all the buttons to make a successful kill or corner.

As far as the games are concerned there are enough developers, both big and small, already attached to the PSP so that Sony appear to have one of the top requirements of any successful console - games - met and catered for. As the split between east and west across the 99 announced companies is fairly even, we must hope that Sony bypasses any region encoding. If an enforced separation between the world's two gaming hemispheres continues with the PSP all parties will once again lose out. The number of ports that will come straight from the PS2 is also of concern. If most of the titles that launch the PSP- later on this year in Japan and in the Spring elsewhere are rehashes of tired old franchises or ports of mediocre PS2 titles then the PSP will squander some of its high levels of consumer interest. It's unlikely Sony will allow the PSP to debut without some killer titles that are exclusive to the new platform. Yet the direction that the numerous companies involved in PSP development will decide is the best and most profitable course of action for their own businesses could leave the PSP swamped in titles whose only appeal is their new found portability. For example, the four games that EA has announced will accompany the PSP into the world on its birthday are all titles you already can walk into the shop and buy for a multitude of current gaming platforms, although the addition of wireless multiplayer with these titles will no doubt make them worth a second look.

The wireless multiplayer aspect is one of the most exciting areas of the PSP. Combined with its frankly amazing processing powers the PSP certainly takes the lead as far as delivering visually arresting, high-tech games is concerned. If the right kind of titles are developed and Sony sells the kind of quantities that they must be hoping for, the prospect of PSP cafes opening up where gamers can meet and consume both entertainment and sustenance in the company of other gamers is something I expect to see become a reality, at least in the East.

At the moment the innovative features of the DS scream out little more than 'gimmick' to this perturbed gamer. For example, Sega plan to rely on the novel control methods the touch screen will allow to drive forward the gameplay in the two titles they have announced for the device. The DS reminds me of the split-screen Game & Watch's from the 80s, (Lifeboat being a particular favourite). With dual screens, voice activation and touch screen technology, the additional wireless networking is the most apparently sensible ability the DS will have.
Nintendo have opted for an old wireless standard - like Sony with its reliance on .801.2B, (although the DS will supposedly have built in WiFi as well). The performance of both is roughly comparable, but the compatibility of the DS with Bluetooth enabled phones and PDAs may be of some use to Nintendo in selling the DS. You see, I believe that the DS is going to be more then just a quirky and gimmicky handheld gaming console. Remember the camera and printer attachment that were released for the original Gameboy? They were marvellous examples of cleverly engineered devices that added functionality to an existing device in ways that the original designers would never have anticipated for. With its two screens and touchy-feely displays the DS may well blossom into a true multifunction device. While it is unlikely that it will ever take on the roles of a video player or even an MP3 player, the integration of telephony and the display technology of the DS could lead to some very interesting forays into unexpected territory. How about the DS becoming a keyboard for SMS that has a lovely big screen for displaying your phone's contents? Nintendo have a habit of coming up with unusual add-ons for their consoles and while most of them have sunk without a trace they have been an indication of the company's willingness to innovate and take risks.

Is the DS Nintendo's biggest innovative gamble so far? Its potential certainly is leagues ahead of items like the Robot for the Famicom and the 3D goggle system of old. Rather than an add-on to an existing console this is Nintendo's newest recruit in the console wars. In an attempt to allay any fears customers may have of it being too "out there" and left-field for them to consider a purchase, the DS has some sensible features along with its more Willy Wonka abilities. As it will run GBA cartridges the DS can claim to allow cross platform gaming, allowing GBA owners to migrate from their old machine to the new platform. And as PSP owners will have to shell out for UMD versions of games they may already own, Nintendo has a distinct advantage in its battle to retain its user base during the trip from one generation to another.

Nintendo's own storage media will be able to hold up to a gigabyte of data, so like the PSP there's the potential for the DS to take on other functions - if the media doesn't cost too much. The price difference may also be considerable. If the PSP debuts and retains an exorbitantly high price then no swathe of impressive features and capabilities will persuade the sensible customer to pay up to three times more for one of Sony's devices than for the DS. The PSP will be able to do a lot more then just play games, but if extra cost such as buying UMD media are added onto an already premium price then the PSP could find itself struggling against the uglier and less powerful DS.

Nintendo's biggest asset has always been its games. Unfortunately, the titles that have been announced so far are somewhat uninspiring, but as this is currently the situation with the PSP the big N will be justifiably confident for the DS's initial prospects. Nintendo knows that it has some of the best game designers on the planet to call upon, and in the past these guys have created games that are innovative in their gameplay. Combine these talents with the novel features of the DS and the possibility that we may see some games the like of which we have never considered before may well prove to be the cap-feather that Nintendo irritates the beejesus out of Sony with.

Nintendo's ugly duckling really has the edge when it comes to dynamism. The PSP will initially be limited to an impressive portable gaming system and as such its only strength will be the ability to play high tech games on the move. Whether or not this will be enough to warrant the price tag in the eyes of enough consumers will only be answered next year, but Nintendo must be really hoping that their original little machine will win over enough users to keep the system, and Nintendo the gaming hardware company, a viable going concern.

It is still early days in the gestation of these two consoles, although now we have had the first images of the machines we can better appreciate what the two companies have in mind for their new babies. Things will no doubt change as both Sony and Nintendo attempt to steal some of the wind out of the sails of their rival's console, but as long as the prices are sensible and the hype backed-up with substance I know that 2005 will be the year that I buy my first handheld.

The Handheld business has been dominated forever by Nintendo because they have been the only contendors. Besides Sega's gamegear, there hasn't been anything within years.

Yes, they have been targeting the young audience, but there is a small % of children with money, and they have to convince their parents to buy it. Although the estimated price of the DS is $150 it may go up or down, and thats more than the avg. $100 for the Gameboy.

The PSP is Definately targeted for the older age group, Just look at it. It's sleek like a PDA, it can Play FULL MOVIES. The game will cost around $45 and the screen is huge. This will change gaming forever.

Nintendo has had the same lame titles for years now, and they are running out of games to market, thats why you are seeing more shit surfacing on the market.

You will be able to watch Movies that you can burn which will be available in the near future. The discs are small like Gamecube's and there will be burners coming out for them, how great is that?

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2004-07-18 at 01:17 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-07-18, 02:06 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Jesus christ! The PSP will..."
Blah blah blah. Did you not listen to a thing I've said? Technical firepower means nothing unless you've got the games to back it, and in the portable world, even that probably won't be enough to beat out Nintendo. The Bandai Wonderswan Color had exclusive backing from both Squaresoft and Namco (whereas the Gameboy Advance had no backing from either company) and the thing still died when it went up against the GBA. Namco and Square started making GBA games after the Wonderswan ate the big one and they had nowhere else to turn for their portable business.

Dev said:
The Handheld business has been dominated forever by Nintendo because they have been the only contendors. Besides Sega's gamegear, there hasn't been anything within years.
Are you insane? Here's a list of only ten technologically superior handhelds that have fallen before the GameBoy. There are plenty more than just these guys, I might add.

Tiger Game.Com - 1997
Nokia N-Gage - 2003
Sega Nomad - 1995
Atari Lynx - 1989
NEC Turbo Express - 1990
Gamepark GP32 - 2003
Sega Game Gear - 1991
Bandai Wonderswan - 1999
Bandai Wonderswan Color - 2000
Neo Geo Pocket Color - 1999

Now, look how many of those were released on the market less than five years ago. Moron.

Quote:
Yes, they have been targeting the young audience, but there is a small % of children with money, and they have to convince their parents to buy it. Although the estimated price of the DS is $150 it may go up or down, and thats more than the avg. $100 for the Gameboy.
Did I not just explain in my last post how children are exactly the demographic that portables should be marketed towards? The GBA has sold more units worldwide than all three of the home consoles currently on the market, and it's because kids play portable games more than anybody else. Trying to market a handheld to an adult is moronic.

Quote:
The PSP is Definately targeted for the older age group, Just look at it. It's sleek like a PDA, it can Play FULL MOVIES. The game will cost around $45 and the screen is huge. This will change gaming forever.
Did I not just explain that people are not going to pay $45 for a portable game in America? That trend has already been established, and people will not buy into it. The PSP will change nothing except that it will severely damage people's public opinion of Sony as a video game giant.

Quote:
Nintendo has had the same lame titles for years now, and they are running out of games to market, thats why you are seeing more shit surfacing on the market.
WHAT?! That makes absolutely no sense. "They have less stuff to market, which is why you're seeing more stuff on the market." Retard.

By the way, I'd like to add that everything you posted before I started quoting you was copied and pasted from somewhere. I don't know where you got it from, but it's too intelligently worded to have been authored by you, and it makes no sense in response to the arguments I posted previously. I may have copied and pasted most of my earlier post, but it's all stuff that I've written previously on other forums.

Try again, schmuck.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-07-18, 02:16 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Blah blah blah. Did you not listen to..."
No I wrote that article for a friend just after reading some of the reviews from EGM.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-07-18, 02:48 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "No I wrote that article for a friend..."
1) I don't believe a word of that.

2) That doesn't matter. I explained succinctly and directly why technical specs have absolutely no relevance in the portable market. All ten of the portables I listed above were far superior to the version of the GameBoy that they were competing against at the time, and all ten of them are either completely dead, or are nearly dead. The N-Gage is clinging to it's last month of life and the GP32 is staggering into the grave as well. Both of Sega's handhelds died in spectacular fashion, which is actually quite amusing, because in 1995 the Nomad was basically a portable Genesis, and was competing against Game Boy Pocket, a smaller version of the original one-color GB. Atari's handheld was actually released in the same year as the GameBoy, was technologically superior, and still failed. The Neo Geo Pocket was an unbelievably powerful handheld. Certainly more powerful than the GBA, and it died quickly. The Wonderswan Color was actually marketed to the Playstation audience, with Square support out the ying-yang, and it failed miserably as well.

That's all there is to say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-08-02, 01:13 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "1) I don't believe a word of that. ..."
The Neo Geo failed because there were no games for it, and everybody was OBSESSED with fucking pokemon. Guess what, there is no hit 'handheld' game at the moment, thats why there will not be any landslide.

Nintendo is going to release their Ds before the PSP and their little 'high' of thought thinking that their product will sell out the ying yang will die and the PSP will be released and people will be buying it.

Another thing is, it is targeted to adults not only for Gaming, but Viewing movies and Listening to Music. The DS can't compare.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-08-02, 01:15 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "The Neo Geo failed because there were..."
Yeah, because everyone wants to watch movies on a 3 inch screen!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2004-08-02, 01:21 AM in reply to Slim's post starting "Yeah, because everyone wants to watch..."
It's the same as a fucking portable video player. 4.3inch widescreen.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-08-02, 01:37 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It's the same as a fucking portable..."
You cant even fully watch any of the lord of the rings movies on that thing -_-...You will probably have to buy a bigger battery or something which of course is going to cost muchos $
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2004-08-02, 02:07 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "The Neo Geo failed because there were..."
D3V said:
The Neo Geo failed because there were no games for it, and everybody was OBSESSED with fucking pokemon. Guess what, there is no hit 'handheld' game at the moment, thats why there will not be any landslide.
I just took a look at a small list of Neo Geo Pocket games, and the thing had at least four King of Fighters games, two Metal Slug games, a few Mortal Kombat games, Ogre Battle, NFL Blitz, Pac Man, several Samurai Showdown games and several SNK vs. Capcom games. Those are all extremely well-known franchises, and those were only a tenth of the games on the handheld. Seriously, do you pull all of your "facts" straight out of your ass?

Quote:
Nintendo is going to release their Ds before the PSP and their little 'high' of thought thinking that their product will sell out the ying yang will die and the PSP will be released and people will be buying it.
I've given you innumerable reasons why the DS will outsell the PSP and all you've done is say "Nu-uh! No way! You're wrong!" You haven't provided a lick of hard cold evidence or logic to back up your claims. This quote above is no different.

Quote:
Another thing is, it is targeted to adults not only for Gaming, but Viewing movies and Listening to Music. The DS can't compare.
I'm not sure how you're capable of watching full movies on it D3V. It's not big enough to hold a full DVD. I'm sure it's capable of running a full movie, but that's just in terms of it's visual power. There's nowhere to put a DVD into on that thing. If you've seen a PSP running a full movie, it's because the handheld was linked to a PC and the comp was running the movie through it. What you've seen is the PSP being used as a nifty monitor, not a handheld movie-viewing device.

You've provided no solid arguments, no factual reasons and no believable basis for anything you've said. Just quit now. You lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-08-02, 02:23 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I just took a look at a small list of..."
For one, The UMD's are what the PSP play. They are like ... 1.8Gig Cds. And If I'm not mistaken, DVDs won't need that much space at all.

No, it's more than just a nifty monitor its for playing games. The conveiance of it is whats important.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-08-02, 02:46 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "For one, The UMD's are what the PSP..."
I'm not sure where you shop for movies, but I have yet to see a single movie released on a mini DVD anywhere.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-08-02, 03:33 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I'm not sure where you shop for movies,..."
Yea thats definatly going to be a problem because now alot of ppl will have to buy the things they have again (music/movies), just so they can play it on the psp. I dont think alot of ppl are willing to do that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

undeadzombieguy