Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

AD(H)D Medications
Posted 2007-08-08, 01:55 PM
Continued from the prescriptions thread:

Research suggests that their is a genetic cause to AD[H]D. Research also shows certain chemical characteristics which are common to those diagnosed with ADHD but not common to the population as a whole. This suggests that chemistry does play a part in those diagnosed with ADHD.

However, whether there is a biological, environmental, or made-up cause to ADHD symptoms is irrelevant to this discussion. What matters is that these medicines work, and they have been shown to do that in an overwhelming number of cases. With that being true, I don't see why you guys oppose ADD medication.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-08, 01:58 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "AD(H)D Medications"
You can also get your stupid ass kid to run around for 2 hours, and not have to spend any money on medicine. With kids watching more TV and playing on the computer for most of their spare time, along with not being as healthy, they're bouncing off of the walls more during Class etc, which is where most of the problems actually exist.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-08, 02:00 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "You can also get your stupid ass kid to..."
D3V said:
You can also get your stupid ass kid to run around for 2 hours, and not have to spend any money on medicine.
Ineffective for a kid with ADHD.

Quote:
With kids watching more TV and playing on the computer for most of their spare time, along with not being as healthy, they're bouncing off of the walls more during Class etc, which is where most of the problems actually exist.
Which is why those problems should be treated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-08, 02:07 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ineffective for a kid with ADHD. ..."
I'm not sure what it is called, but wasn't there an (or several) ADD/ADHD medication that was taken off of the market? A few people I know were one of them and figure it might be in one of those commercials that go "If you were given this or this, you could be entitled to X amount of dollars."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-08, 02:15 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I'm not sure what it is called, but..."
Well you can argue either way with this, but another problem is Misdiagnosis, i'm not saying there is no such thing as ADHD, or ADD for that matter, but for a doctor to pocket some extra cash for a pill that isn't harmful, and will "appear" to be working, it's easy for them to recommend it.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-08, 02:17 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well you can argue either way with..."
No, not misdiagnosis. I'm talking about a certain medication that they used to be on, but now it has been discontinued and they are on another.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-08, 02:18 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "No, not misdiagnosis. I'm talking about..."
No, I was refferring to MJ, sorry. But I do recall what your talking about, no clue to what the medicine was called though.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-08-09, 09:42 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ineffective for a kid with ADHD. ..."
Fuck that.

Back in the pre-medication days, people did just fine. Nobody went to the doctor and got prescribed medication because they were hyper or had this or that condition. They're just kids. They're supposed to be hyper and play and have an imagination. That's all you know how to do when you're a kid.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:08 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Fuck that. Back in the..."
Thanatos said:
Fuck that.

Back in the pre-medication days, people did just fine. Nobody went to the doctor and got prescribed medication because they were hyper or had this or that condition. They're just kids. They're supposed to be hyper and play and have an imagination. That's all you know how to do when you're a kid.
In younger kids, there is a tolerable level, and then there is a level where it just gets disruptive. At that point it should be taken care of it it can be. We have the means to take care of it now, why shouldn't we?

The fact that people did fine without it before medication was available is disputable and irrelevant. People also did fine with a cold, usually, before medication to treat cold symptoms was available. Should we also stop taking the 'tussin? I think not.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:19 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "In younger kids, there is a tolerable..."
Tussin does not cure a cold, and Ritalin does not cure bad behavior. They're both more like supressants if anything, and in the end you're most likely better off waiting out the cold or teaching your kid how to behave, not how to take a pill and telling them that they need a pill to behave.

In my personal opinion, that attitude ends you up with adults who pop prescribed anti-depressants rather than actually fixing their depressing situation.

Now, I'm not going to say ADHD doesn't exist, and chronic depression doesn't exist, but I WILL say that a large majority of the time, people use ADHD medications and anti-depressants as an easy fix, and this is not a good attitude to have.

Yes, most of my post is opinionated and I can't back any of it up with facts, but I feel that most of it is true.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2007-08-09 at 11:21 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:34 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Tussin does not cure a cold, and..."
Well, if you subscribe to the philosophy that you should allow the body to get better on its own, then by all means don't take Robutussin. But where does it stop? Should you not take antibiotics for infections? Should you not be vaccinated to protect against the flu? Surely, even if you subscribe to the minimal medicine philosophy, there has to be a line you draw which once you cross you will be okay with taking pills, or other forms of medication. You simply draw that line further out than most. I personally do not wish to agonize through the symptoms of a cold without the aid of medicine when it is harmless and easily accessible. I also do not wish to set myself back in class because I can not concentrate like I should be able to. If there is a fix to the problem, I will gladly accept it. Most parents who have their kids take ADD medication probably feel the same way.

If there were severe negative side-effects to the medication, then I would agree with you. Then we should look twice. As it is right now, the side effects are minimal in most cases.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:38 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, if you subscribe to the..."
So pretty much your philosophy is "why fix a problem when you can cover it up with medication"?

I mean, I'm not saying that someone who is getting a leg amputated shouldn't get morphine, I'm saying that parents shouldn't use medicine to discipline their kids.

If a kid honestly has a problem, like you're saying, then I see no reason NOT to take medicine for it, as there's nothing better to do about it. I know some people who simply cannot concentrate on anything, and they take medication for it. That is not the same as a kid who can't behave so their parents give them medication.

Am I being clear enough, or would you like for me to elaborate more?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:48 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "So pretty much your philosophy is "why..."
My philosophy isn't covering up a problem with medication, it's fixing the problem via medication. The problem isn't the underlying cause for the symptoms, it is the symptoms themselves. The medicine fixes the symptoms.

I'm not saying give Adderall or Ritalin for bad behavior. They fix AD[H]D. That is different from simple bad behavior. However, hypothetically speaking, if there was a medicine for curing bad behavior I'd be all for it. It does not cover up the porblem, it fixes the problem.

Right now the only fix for bed behavior (that I know of) is behavioral therapy. That, then, is what I would suggest for fixing bad behavior. For fixing AD[H]D, I'd be for AD[H]D medication.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:51 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "My philosophy isn't covering up a..."
And what of my anti-depressants analogy?

Say someone has a shitty life, and they're depressed by this. They take anti-depressants to be happy. Is this fixing the problem?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "And what of my anti-depressants..."
That is conditional. If the only problem is that they are depressed and if the anti-depressants make them happy, then problem solved. However, if the anti-depressants make them content with a life that is spiraling downwards then the anti-depressants cease being innocuous. I still think that behavioral therapy along with the anti-depressants can counteract the negative effects of the anti-depressants making the anti-depressants a viable option once again.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-08-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:02 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "That is conditional. If the only..."
How is that conditional, MJ? If someone's life is fucked up and they take meds to cope with that, that's not right. Like I said, that's just covering up the problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:05 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well you can argue either way with..."
D3V said:
Well you can argue either way with this, but another problem is Misdiagnosis, i'm not saying there is no such thing as ADHD, or ADD for that matter, but for a doctor to pocket some extra cash for a pill that isn't harmful, and will "appear" to be working, it's easy for them to recommend it.
Well, misdiagnoses is not restricted to AD[H]D. True, this is a real issue. However, seeing that Adderall and Ritalin are relatively harmless there's much more of a problem when misdiagnosed with some other condition and given a medicine that is harmful.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:08 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "How is that conditional, MJ? If..."
!King_Amazon! said:
How is that conditional, MJ? If someone's life is fucked up and they take meds to cope with that, that's not right. Like I said, that's just covering up the problem.
It's conditional on their situation. For instance, assume that my life is picture-perfect. I have a great girlfriend, enough money to pay for school, all A's, my parents are happy, everything is great. Yet I'm still depressed. Anti-depressants should do wonders for me. No behavioral therapy is needed, as my life is already fine. However, if anti-depressants make me content with deplorable living conditions then they certainly have a negative effect. In this case, behavioral therapy along with anti-depressants would be optimum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:09 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, misdiagnoses is not restricted to..."
I wouldn't consider covering up an unrelated problem that could seriously affect the rest of someone's life "harmless."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:09 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I wouldn't consider covering up an..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I wouldn't consider covering up an unrelated problem that could seriously affect the rest of someone's life "harmless."
I'm not sure I'm following anymore.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes