Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:15 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "It's conditional on their situation...."
mjordan2nd said:
It's conditional on their situation. For instance, assume that my life is picture-perfect. I have a great girlfriend, enough money to pay for school, all A's, my parents are happy, everything is great. Yet I'm still depressed. Anti-depressants should do wonders for me. No behavioral therapy is needed, as my life is already fine. However, if anti-depressants make me content with deplorable living conditions then they certainly have a negative effect. In this case, behavioral therapy along with anti-depressants would be optimum.
I think I made the analogy clear enough that you would know that I was talking about someone who has a shitty life and is depressed. I even specified at the end that I'm not saying depression (such as the type you described above) doesn't exist, I'm just saying a majority of the people who take anti-depressants don't have that type of depression.

I'm saying the same with ADHD medications. If there is such a thing as ADHD, it's not as common as ADHD medication use.

And no, I don't think medication is "harmless" in either situation. If someone takes anti-depressants to "fix" their shitty situation, they're just covering the underlying problem. To this you suggest, someone should take both anti-depressants and behavioral therapy. Why would they be motivated to take behavioral therapy if they feel their life is fine, even if it isn't?

Giving an unruly sugar rushing kid ritalin to make them behave is not fixing the problem. If they DO have ADHD, that's fine. If they DON'T have ADHD, it's NOT harmless, because it's not going to fix their problem. It will make it look fixed on the surface, but you've still got an unruly sugar rushing kid, they're just drugged. If that problem is not dealt with PROPERLY, it could affect their future.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:38 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think I made the analogy clear enough..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I think I made the analogy clear enough that you would know that I was talking about someone who has a shitty life and is depressed. I even specified at the end that I'm not saying depression (such as the type you described above) doesn't exist, I'm just saying a majority of the people who take anti-depressants don't have that type of depression.

I'm saying the same with ADHD medications. If there is such a thing as ADHD, it's not as common as ADHD medication use.
Well, that's why I gave examples of both. I stated that for someone whose only problem is that he is depressed then anti-depressants are fine.

For someone who is depressed because of deplorable living conditions, the anti-depressants still fix the depression. That is what they are meant to do, and that is it. They are not meant to motivate you to fix your lamentable life, they are meant to help you cope with it. In this case anti-depressants fix the depression but may exacerbate the other problem. This, then, is the prescribing physicians call. We assume that their education makes them better qualified than us to make that call. Of course, this assumption may be faulty, however that is the assumption that society works by.

It seems to me you don't really have a problem with the medicine itself, you have a problem with the physicians and the assumption that society makes.

Quote:
And no, I don't think medication is "harmless" in either situation. If someone takes anti-depressants to "fix" their shitty situation, they're just covering the underlying problem. To this you suggest, someone should take both anti-depressants and behavioral therapy. Why would they be motivated to take behavioral therapy if they feel their life is fine, even if it isn't?
I can't explain why those who are on anti-depressants seek out behavioral therapy. That said, I am positive that someone can. An overwhelming majority of those on anti-depressants also seek the counsel of a psychologist.

Quote:
Giving an unruly sugar rushing kid ritalin to make them behave is not fixing the problem. If they DO have ADHD, that's fine. If they DON'T have ADHD, it's NOT harmless, because it's not going to fix their problem. It will make it look fixed on the surface, but you've still got an unruly sugar rushing kid, they're just drugged. If that problem is not dealt with PROPERLY, it could affect their future.
I never claimed that ADHD medicine fixed behavioral problems.

But if there was a medicine that could, would you really oppose it? Even if the effects only lasted while the kid was drugged up, and it didn't really fix what made him unruly, it seems good to me. I'm not saying that the medicine is the only thing you should give the kid and then neglect it. Of course you should try and make it to where the kid can coincide with society without medication, however if the behavior isn't fixable, isn't a life-time supply of medicine the next best thing? Does it not, after all, fix what we've been wanting to fix?

It's the same thing with AD[H]D medicine. It does not make you more adept at concentrating once your are off the medicine. It is a temporary fix. However, it gets you through the day. That is what the goal is here. Even with AD[H]D medication I would recommend behavioral therapy alongside. It would be great if we could "fix" the underlying cause, and in some cases this is possible. In most cases, however, that is an unrealistic goal.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-08-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-09, 12:49 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, that's why I gave examples of..."
In theory, if there were a pill that could fix all of our problems, I believe I would support it.

The problem with that, the same as with ADHD medication and anti-depressants, is people use them as an EASY fix. Why fix your shitty life if you can just take anti-depressants to do that for you? Why be a parent to your kid when you can have a pill do it for you? This is what I do not agree with, and this is how it is with a majority of the cases. This is seen in other places as well, such as the media. All of those "Moms Against BLAH BLAH" organizations and shit, where parents want everything in the world that isn't appropriate for kids to be censored or removed or what have you, instead of them doing their jobs and being PARENTS. A good example of this that I have readily available is the "Mothers Against Maddox" organization. You know who Maddox is, I assume. These mothers assembled to have his website shut down because they did not want him filling their kids heads full of "crap." They would rather do that than actually be parents and pay attention to what their kids are viewing online, perhaps blocking websites they don't want their kids viewing.

You're right, MJ, I don't think there's anything wrong with the medicines. I think it's wrong that people use these medicines to escape responsibility.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-09, 02:52 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "In theory, if there were a pill that..."
!King_Amazon! said:
You're right, MJ, I don't think there's anything wrong with the medicines. I think it's wrong that people use these medicines to escape responsibility.
I was hoping the debate would reach this point. I just read the whole thing and agreed with most of what each of you had to say (sounds like it may not be possible, but it is).
Acceptance of responsibility is one of the biggest problems I see in society today. I'd elaborate right now, but I just had teeth pulled and am still kind of loopy from the anesthesia.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-08-09, 11:55 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I was hoping the debate would reach..."
I'm going to have to side with KA on this one even though MJ makes some good points. I was diagnosed with ADHD and was on various drugs for many years culminating in being prescribed Effexor for depression. After about 6 months on Effexor I stopped taking all the drugs altogether. There is a short period (about a week) of pretty awful withdrawl but after that I have never felt better. Strange that I was raised in a family which was divided on the medicines approach and one parent was a minimalist and the other had no problem giving medicines. In my post-parental-care life I have found I enjoy the former approach and I have not been sick at least three years. I don't wash my hands unless I am in a situation where that kind of thing is socially unacceptable or unhealthy for others (i.e. cooking for my house, after pooping, going out to eat, shaking hands, etc.) and I feel that this likely strengthens my immunities to the pathogens in my immediate surroundings.

As for the ADHD, the condition is mental and the solution is mental as well. You have to learn to work with it and not suppress it with drugs because the drugs do not ONLY effect the ADHD condition and there are definitely other effects! My self-esteem was affected and my appetite was suppressed (which led to some strange belittling in school, further exacerbating my insecurities). When I was on the anti-depressants I realized that by actively focusing my attention (I suppose the method is similar in practice to Buddhism) I could, not ignore or suppress, channel the wild mind into a relatively constructive form. I still have trouble following social standards (this really only applies to school, I rarely study unless I am particularly worried and I still do quite well, and I tend to do my assignments the night before, or the minute before!, class because I cannot focus on them unless I absolutely need to). This doesn't really cause me any real trouble and it is only reflected in the attitudes of others around me.

I believe that ADHD is just a result of the over-restricted system that our kids have to endure these days. There are simply personality types that DO NOT FIT in accordance to the American (and other nations) norms. There are school out there which take alternate approaches to learning (you seriously cannot believe that a standardized educational system is going to work, mj) and they can show incredible improvement to the faculties (and "scores") of some (not all, obviously!) children. I think drugs should only be used as an absolute final resort and being more actively involved in your child's mind is a better way to help understand the "adverse" conditions that are present and then it is up to the parents to adjust the environments to try to work WITH the child's tendencies instead of forcing them to adapt which will certainly lead to a social (and no doubt financial) nightmare.

That's all I have to say at the moment but I am sure there is more kicking around. This is a good thread.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-08-10, 02:29 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I'm going to have to side with KA on..."
Wow, I had no idea you were batshit insane.

JK, I think we all knew.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-08-10, 07:12 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I'm going to have to side with KA on..."
I am by no means advocating that someone try and substitute pills in place of actual parenting because magic pills don't exist, however what is wrong with taking the easy way out when it works just as well as the alternative, and does not harm anyone?

RS, I am curious, if you believed that ADHD was a biological condition rather than a mental one would it change your opinion on whether or not medicine should be taken to resolve the problem?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-01, 08:28 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I am by no means advocating that..."
Since we had some discussion on depression as well, this is an interesting read:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1001172838.htm
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-02, 03:24 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I am by no means advocating that..."
Alright I didn't read this entire thread because their was alot to read but,

1. !K_A!, Some people are depressed for no reason at all, they have a fine life, a job, etc. but there is a chemical imbalance in their brain that makes them feel sad. Seritonin is the neurotransmitter that controls mood, in people that have this chemical imbalance, the neuron releases Seritonin into the synapse, and Receptor site of the next Neuron "absorbs" as much as possible. For some reason though, the channels of neuron do not hold all of the seritonin released, so when the re-uptake from the origonal neuron happens, it takes in to much, causing an imbalance between the neuron and the receptor site.

This is what the Anti-Depressents are for. They have a technical name of SSRI's which means Selective Seritonin Reputake Inhibitor. So, when they are on the medicine, it blocks some of the channels for the reuptake to take place making it so only some of the seritonin is re-absorbed, balancing out the chemicals. The left overs are then dissolved by enzymes.

I'm not a scientist so don't flame me for not knowing everything, but this is the general idea of what happens..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2007-10-02, 03:46 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Alright I didn't read this entire..."
-Spector- said:
Alright I didn't read this entire thread because their was alot to read but,

1. !K_A!, Some people are depressed for no reason at all, they have a fine life, a job, etc. but there is a chemical imbalance in their brain that makes them feel sad. Seritonin is the neurotransmitter that controls mood, in people that have this chemical imbalance, the neuron releases Seritonin into the synapse, and Receptor site of the next Neuron "absorbs" as much as possible. For some reason though, the channels of neuron do not hold all of the seritonin released, so when the re-uptake from the origonal neuron happens, it takes in to much, causing an imbalance between the neuron and the receptor site.

This is what the Anti-Depressents are for. They have a technical name of SSRI's which means Selective Seritonin Reputake Inhibitor. So, when they are on the medicine, it blocks some of the channels for the reuptake to take place making it so only some of the seritonin is re-absorbed, balancing out the chemicals. The left overs are then dissolved by enzymes.

I'm not a scientist so don't flame me for not knowing everything, but this is the general idea of what happens..
I understand that, Spector, and acknowledged it. However, I feel that the majority of people who take anti-depressants aren't in that category. Same with ADHD.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-02, 04:29 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I understand that, Spector, and..."
Well in that case, I agree with you
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2007-10-02, 07:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I understand that, Spector, and..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I understand that, Spector, and acknowledged it. However, I feel that the majority of people who take anti-depressants aren't in that category. Same with ADHD.
What are you basing this off of, though? Personal experiences? It may just be that certain people you know flamboyantly display the fact that they are on antidepressants, and these stand out in your mind when making judgments like this. I think your best bet is to read some research journals on the topic and see what the medical community has to say about disparity between those who need the medication and those who take it haphazardly. It may not be as wide a rift as you believe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-10-02, 11:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "What are you basing this off of,..."
I trust my personal experience more than the medical community. The people who make antidepressants, and make money for prescribing antidepressants, are part of the medical community.

It's the same as flu shots. The people who make them will most definately tell you that you should really really get one. They don't tell you that they're nearly ineffective at reducing flu-related illness and they've been possibly linked to the increase in autism in children.

Yes, I'm assuming. Most people I see who take anti-depressants are people who have shitty lives and can't cope with or fix their shitty lives, so they get a prescription to help.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-06, 01:03 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I trust my personal experience more..."
I wish I had a prescription for ADD meds. How does an adult go about getting a prescription for that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2007-10-06, 01:16 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I wish I had a prescription for ADD..."
Say you can't concentrate at work, find your mind wandering and you can't do anything about it and it's affecting your ability to do your job.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-06, 01:38 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I wish I had a prescription for ADD..."
Google. You should be able to find enough info on how to fake a doctor to think you have adhd even if you dont
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:11 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Google. You should be able to find..."
Unless your doctor is House.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:28 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Unless your doctor is House."
I love that show, seen every episode. House is a jackass, and he's smart, so it's a good show. I have a friend who gets 40 mg adderall and 20 mg adderall, which seemed a bit odd, but oh well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:30 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I love that show, seen every episode...."
I have seasons 1 and 2 on my computer. I've seen a few episodes on TV, and watched the pilot for season 1 last night.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-06, 11:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Say you can't concentrate at work, find..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Say you can't concentrate at work, find your mind wandering and you can't do anything about it and it's affecting your ability to do your job.
Oddly, you just described my life, except it affects my ability to sleep as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker