Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Twitter hit by DoS attack.
Posted 2009-08-06, 09:49 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/06/t...ack/index.html

Quote:
Twitter has been hit with a denial of service attack, the site says

The attack has shut the service down since about 9:30 a.m. ET

It's unclear who caused the attack or when the issue will be resolved

Twitter co-founder says attack is not related to a recent breach in Twitter security
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/06/t...ack/index.html

Quote:
The popular social networking site Twitter has been hit by a denial of service attack, according to Twitter co-founder Biz Stone.

In an e-mail to CNN.com, Stone said this morning's attack is not related to a recent incident in which a hacker stole internal documents from the site.

"There's no indication that this attack is related to any previous activities. We are currently the target of a denial of service attack," Stone said in the e-mail.

"Attacks such as this are malicious efforts orchestrated to disrupt and make unavailable services such as online banks, credit card payment gateways, and in this case, Twitter for intended customers or users. We are defending against this attack now and will continue to update our status blog as we defend and later investigate."

Twitter's site went down around 9:30 a.m. ET on Thursday. A message posted on Twitter's status blog said the site was active again by 11:30 a.m., but that the site remained under attack.

"We are continuing to defend against and recover from this attack," the message says.

The site allows users to post 140-character messages, and many of Twitter's users have complained about feeling disconnected from the news of the day while the site is shut down.

In a blog post, Twitter says it will update the public with more information as it becomes available.

A denial of service attack essentially is an attempt to flood a Web site with so much information that it must shut down

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2009-08-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-08-06, 11:39 AM in reply to D3V's post "Twitter hit by DoS attack."
Bout time. Twitter fails.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-08-06, 11:45 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Bout time. Twitter fails."
I totally agree. I was so glad to read about this earlier today. I hope they keep getting hit for the rest of their existence. They really haven't released anything else about the attack, or details but I honestly do hope people catch attention and join the bandwagon of trying to destroy Twitter.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-08-07, 07:53 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I totally agree. I was so glad to read..."
And when thy speak'eth, it happen'eth. Facebook and LiveJournal hit as well, haha.

Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal Hit by Cyber Attacks

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Twitter isn't the only Web site to have its wings clipped by a cyber attack yesterday.

Facebook and LiveJournal users had to deal with spotty service after the "denial-of-service" attacks. In such an assault, hackers aim scores of computers at a single site to overwhelm it and prevent legitimate traffic from getting through.

It's not clear if the same hacker is behind the three attacks, but the outage may have been related to the ongoing political conflict between Russia and Georgia.

Bill Woodcock of Packet Clearing House, a nonprofit that tracks Internet traffic, says the attacks started with hackers using a botnet to send a flurry of spam e-mail messages that contained links to pages on Twitter, Facebook and other sites written by a single pro-Abkhazia (ab-KAH'-zhee-uh) activist.

Russia recognized as independent the breakaway regions of South Ossetia (oh-SET'-yuh) and Abkhazia after a brief war with Georgia a year ago.

Woodcock says it's hard to tell whether it was a case of hackers trying to punish the sites for publishing views they disagree with, or if they were directing traffic to the sites out of sympathy for the activist's message.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V