Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Games: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Posted 2004-12-15, 01:55 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Developer: Konami... or KCEJ
Platform: Playstation 2
Genre:Action Adventure

Snake Eater is the latest installment of Hideo Kojima's modern stealth action series. In its predecessor, Son of Liberity, many complain about the main character being Jack (Raiden) instead of the legendary hero Snake. Well, you get to play Snake again, this time. Snake is an one-man army, and his survival skills will come in very handy this time. It is quite different from the other MGS, since you start off in a jungle, and without radar (but you are equipped with Motion Sensor, Active Sonar, etc). Some people said the game has a strong James Bond feel in it... Well? Read on. There will be spoilers, but it is things you would know within the first hour of gameplay.

Story
The story takes place in the 1960s during the Cold War. The main villain in the game is Volgin, a Russian Colonel who has a plot to mass produce the first type of Metal Gear. He is looking to turn the Cold War into a boiling hot one with his seemingly infinite amount of war funds. Snake's mission is to first rescue the Russian Rocket Scientist Sokolov, and then destroy the prototype of the Metal Gear along with its soon-to-be mass production line. The well-skilled gunman Major Ocelet now serves under Volgin, and there will be a very remarkable rivalry between him and Snake. The other Cobra units, the elites of the elites, will also make an appearance in the game. Will they be obstacles to Snake's mission, or are they here to aid Snake's progress?

Gameplay
The gameplay is really similar to that of Metal Gear Solid 2 (the way you shoot, fight, you contact your HQ using radio, etc), except as I've mentioned, there will be no radar. Action Sonar, Motion Sensor, Night vision goggles and the like will be avaliable in the mission, but they consume batteries. Even the suppressor of Snake's firearms will deteriorate after use. In this situation, Snake's CQC skills, or close-quarter-combat, will really shine. CQC allows Snake to use a survival knife and a pistol simultaneously, allowing him to grab an enemy, and then perfrom various actions: Using him as a human shield, Squeezing information out of him, Choking him to the state of unconsciousness/death, or simply cutting his throat.

Camouflage can be very important in a stealth mission, and there are plenty of camouflage patterns Snake can get/use. Using the correct camouflage (judging from the enviorment) will decrease the chance of Snake being seen. Some of the special cmouflages have ability such as eliminating footsteps, reducing damage from fire, regaining health and stamina under the sun and a lot more. If nothing else, it can be use as costumes, which is always a plus.

Snake's stamina will go down as time passes, and to recover it, he will have to consume food. The food is plenty in the jungle, as Snake can easily hunt for any nearby animals. (There are quite a few humurous conversations between Snake and Para-Medic through the radio concerning food)

There is also the Cure function when Snake is seriously injuried. While most of the wounds will heal overtime, it is sometimes better to treat the wound right away. Having a wound will decrease Snake's maximum health, and (I think?) it also decreases his rate of regeneration.

Character
There are many remarkable characters in Snake Eater. There is the young Ocelet, genius gunman who (now) lacks field experience; Volgin, the sadistic Russian Colonel who plans on an all-out nuclear war; EVA, the "Bond girl" in the game who aids Snake along his way; and of course, the Cobra units. The Boss, The Sorrow, The Fury, The End, The Fear, and the Pain.

Sound
The sound effects are outstanding, just like its predecessors. The voice acting is flawless, and there are a lot of optional voiced conversation between Snake and other people. The story unfolds by the numurous cutscenes and conversations, but for those who actually dislike cutscene... all cutscenes can be skipped by pressing a single button.

Graphics
Great graphics. In almost all the cutscenes, there is a certain portion can be viewed in a different angle by pressing the R1 button (as indicated on the screen).

Special
There will be the Infinite Face Paint, Invisible camouflage, Patriot Machine Gun, and Bosses' camouflages to be unlcoked by fulfilling different requirements. A very high replay value if you ask me. And there is also the Extra Snake vs. Monkey, which might remind you of Ape Escape... that's a fun game as well.

Overall
Some people were disappointed by MGS2 (I wasn't) and might be afraid to purchase this one. Well, this game worth all every cents and hours you put in.
What are you waiting for? Commence Operation Snake Eater already!

Score: 9.2

Last edited by Senesia; 2004-12-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-15, 02:10 PM in reply to Senesia's post "Games: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater"
I'm buying it...

I had a pet snake that slithered away, so he might like it too!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2004-12-15, 03:06 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "I'm buying it... I had a pet snake..."
how many hours is it? or have you not beaten it yet?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2004-12-15, 03:55 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "how many hours is it? or have you not..."
iceman887 said:

Sacreblue! Es una 7 char limit
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2004-12-15, 04:11 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "how many hours is it? or have you not..."
iceman887 said:
Really depends on how much you want to do. If you skip all the cutscene, convos, and know what you are doing, and without dying, then you can do it within 5 hours.

I'm on my second run through, and trying to get all the secrets this time. And it takes quite a lot more time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-15, 11:33 PM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Really depends on how much you want to..."
Good review. I'll definitely pick this one up sometime in the next few months. My PS2 is out on loan, currently, so I'm going to wait to purchase it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-16, 12:30 AM in reply to iceman887's post starting "how many hours is it? or have you not..."
So I finished the second run through, this time I've gotten all the secrets. Well, except for capturing/eating all plants and food...

21 hours. At least 1/3 of that would go to conversation, cutscenes, and movies. And that is without the numurous occasions when I had to... reload the game because I missed the secret frog thing during the motorcycle. (I mean, it is HARD to aim your sniper on a motocycle!)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-16, 01:02 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "So I finished the second run through,..."
Nice review.

I have the game, but Im not spending the day on it untill I have access to my PS2 Memory card. (Im visiting my father, and forgot to pack it.)

I tried a little of it.I really like using the knife on enemies, and the animal-eating is fun to toy around with.

You said you didn't think MGS2 was disapointment. Im curious, do you think It's better or on par with the first MGS?

More importantly, do the cutscenes ever get annoyingly long,and are there plot elements in the game that you thought were weird or unnecessary?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Nothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Nothing

Posted 2004-12-16, 01:17 AM in reply to Nothing's post starting "Nice review. I have the game, but..."
I think MGS2 was a great game, and I'd say it is on par with the first, if not better. The main reason why people dislike it is because of Raiden, and those people are really too fed up with "Why is the main character Raiden, not Snake? And Raiden looks too much like a girl, and talks to Rose way too much...."

The way I see it though... Snake has always been a Legend, but we've never really looked at Snake from an other person's view. With Raiden, you can see that Snake IS a Legend. From the way he talks, the way he handles enemies... you get to see it from Raiden's point of view.

Also, the cutscenes are essentials to the game, really. If you want to know the plot, you will have to watch the cutscenes and movies. It is a really lame reason to hate the game just because of movies and cutscenes that you can skip.

Of course, there are things that don't make sense in MGS2.. like the whole Ocelot thing. But sometimes it is a good thing to leave something unanswered so that the gamers will have to guess and second guess the rest. MGS3 tied up quite a lot of loose ends, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-16, 09:16 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "I think MGS2 was a great game, and I'd..."
To each his/her own. I for one hated the relationship between Raiden and Rose. That whole relationship was bland, and a little nausiating. I like a good love story, but hearing those two speak made me want to jump off a cliff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Nothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Nothing

Posted 2004-12-16, 04:15 PM in reply to Nothing's post starting "To each his/her own. I for one hated..."
well, i expected more/better from mgs3. But it still a great game, i just hate the camera view/angle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hitmanx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhitmanx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hitmanx

Posted 2004-12-17, 12:24 AM in reply to hitmanx's post starting "well, i expected more/better from mgs3...."
Have you finished the game already?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-17, 09:11 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Have you finished the game already?"
Eh, the angle isn't so bad. It's the same angle Im used to in the other two MGS games. They even alow you to shift it from one side of the screen to the other.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Nothing

Posted 2004-12-19, 12:00 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Have you finished the game already?"
Senesia said:
Have you finished the game already?
yes i finished it. To tell u the truth i only liked 2 parts in that game, it is the motorcycle and fighting wid the Boss. Other than that, other parts r just below my expectations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hitmanx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhitmanx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hitmanx

Posted 2004-12-20, 12:10 AM in reply to hitmanx's post starting "yes i finished it. To tell u the truth..."
Really...

Did you defeat all the bosses non-lethal? Or did you just pull out a machine gun and fire?
It's much funner to use the MK22 and the Mosin to defeat all the bosses. (Especially with The End... Holding him up, traq him till all his stamina is gone...)

I found the motorcycle parts (all seven of them) to be very annoying when I was aiming for all the frogs... Not too easy to snipe all of them during a moving bike ride.

Also, you can try to do a 0 Alert, 0 Kill challenge... and that would be immense fun.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-20, 01:59 PM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Really... Did you defeat all the..."
Senesia said:
Really...

Did you defeat all the bosses non-lethal? Or did you just pull out a machine gun and fire?
It's much funner to use the MK22 and the Mosin to defeat all the bosses. (Especially with The End... Holding him up, traq him till all his stamina is gone...)

I found the motorcycle parts (all seven of them) to be very annoying when I was aiming for all the frogs... Not too easy to snipe all of them during a moving bike ride.

Also, you can try to do a 0 Alert, 0 Kill challenge... and that would be immense fun.
well im doing a second run through rite and doing non-lethal damage on every single enemy rite now. So far nothin really change except it takes me longer to beat the game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

hitmanx

Posted 2004-12-21, 01:43 PM in reply to hitmanx's post starting "well im doing a second run through rite..."
What were your expectations then? Some superman actions?

I know the game is easy, and the survival bits can be totally ignored.
One thing they could have done to make the game more realistic is simply a real time window like the one in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Making all interactions with items/cure/food or even the radio a real time matter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2004-12-21, 06:02 PM in reply to Senesia's post starting "What were your expectations then? Some..."
Senesia said:
What were your expectations then? Some superman actions?

I know the game is easy, and the survival bits can be totally ignored.
One thing they could have done to make the game more realistic is simply a real time window like the one in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Making all interactions with items/cure/food or even the radio a real time matter.
cant put it in words but i feel so bored when playing this game for most of the time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

hitmanx