Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Should post count be removed? (Read thread and comment)
Yes 8 27.59%
No 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2004-02-22, 08:25 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Well its not soo much the post count..."
HandOfHeaven said:
Well its not soo much the post count that i like, but its the activity that boosts you to member/senior member.
heh That brings into perspective the whole member/senior member thing anyway. The fact that someone can spam up the forum and gain Senior Member status is disturbing.

It should factor in Longevity, or have Mod/Admin specified titles. I've been around for a while, but I still don't really consider myself a 'Senior Member'...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-22, 08:30 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "heh That brings into perspective the..."
They can spam to their hearts content it wont make them a senior member. The only thing major pamming will do is give them free admition to banned camp (Rurouni Storm, i just had to use that one once ). Its your 6 month anniversary that will give you senior member title, that and 50+ percent activity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-02-22, 08:31 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "heh That brings into perspective the..."
I guess. I won't spam cuz there is know need to. Just a few posts here and there for the next few weeks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-22, 10:07 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "heh That brings into perspective the..."
They can spam and get the member status, but you can get the member status just as quickly without spamming. Remember, activity only counts the first 4 posts each day. The senior member status is and has always been based on longevity. You do have to already be a member to get senior member, however. This prevents leachers from getting senior member status.

Many times have I denounced the myth that spamming the hell out of the forums will get you senior member status, but apparently you are too new to have caught the last time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-02-22, 10:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "They can spam and get the member..."
There is also a member reputation thingy that isn't used. Depending on your position with the forum, your rating level varies, and the higher up, the more your rate can do good or harm someone compared to regular members. I wish that would be incorporated into the space below our avatar. That could help out new members with who to trust, and who to stay away from.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-22, 10:50 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "There is also a member reputation..."
Actually, it's in the templates, but not enabled. Before the switchover, I and some other members did some playing arround with it and I decided that it's mostly worthless, just like the old gold system was. It looks good on paper, but I don't think it can work in practice. Originally, I was hoping on reputation to replace postcount when I first heard it would be in vB3...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-02-23, 12:32 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "They can spam and get the member..."
WetWired said:
Many times have I denounced the myth that spamming the hell out of the forums will get you senior member status, but apparently you are too new to have caught the last time.
Probably. I haven't hit 1 year yet. It has been mentioned that you get 'Senior Member' at 6 months before, I just forgot.

As far as the Reliability thingy goes, would there be a way for Staff to award members "points" per se, to show reliabilty? It may be a bit of work or such, but if a member makes contributions to the forums and such, they should be given some sort of rating or title to designate them as being helpful and reliable members.

I don't know how possible it would be, but it may cut down on the post-mongering.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-23, 12:38 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Probably. I haven't hit 1 year yet. ..."
I think that has there goods and bads. Honesty if a forum member and a staff member have some kind of beef, then that would be a disadvange for that member, and vise-versa. If a Staff member liked a forum member, then they would be in advantage, to other members acually trying.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-23, 12:44 AM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I think that has there goods and bads...."
To clear it up, I meant kind of a "score" from like 1-10. Like a Poll, staff would be able to vote once, and edit their vote at any point. That way, if there's beef between a staff member and a member, it really doesn't affect their rating, unless it was a problem with multiple staff members.

To make it reasonable, it would only apply to Senior Members, or something. That way, the entire staff wouldn't need to vote on all 4000+ members.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-23, 01:24 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "To clear it up, I meant kind of a..."
All this complicated shit... Just leave it be.

If something comes along that's revolutionaryly (is that a word?) better than post count, I'm positive WW will let us know untill then I'd like to see this thread die, I'm over the post count debate it's taken place well too much.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-02-23, 02:30 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "All this complicated shit... Just leave..."
"Revolutionarily" would be the correct spelling of that word, Chrome. And yes, it is a word.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-02-23, 09:55 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting ""Revolutionarily" would be the correct..."
When post count starts endangering Zelaron, then we should do something about it. Right now it just annoys a few people who seem to have problems with everything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-02-23, 11:57 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "When post count starts endangering..."
The question is, how many would acually leave zelaron if they were taking away?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-23, 01:17 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "The question is, how many would acually..."
LiveWire said:
The question is, how many would acually leave zelaron if they were taking away?
this is sad. I am posting at school!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-02-23, 10:19 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "yeah i'll try hard not to make useless..."
I have yet to see ANY forum properly use the reputation system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-02-23, 10:34 PM in reply to MarkiX's post starting "I think post count should stay bcus it..."
MarkiX said:
I think post count should stay bcus it signify's seniority and participation which lets new members know who is the most knowlegable about the forum or most participant member in zelaron so that they can ask them for information and/or get a different perception on there replies/posts. Of course if ppl abuse Zelaron w/ spam and useless garbage, then they should be punished
Doesn't represent seniority... I have lower post count than alot of members here.. yet I am sup mod... status = seniority... quality of post = seniority..

I don't post super often... yet I am here... i sorta roam around not posting and just checking out threads
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
EX-Mania is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEX-Mania is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

EX-Mania

Posted 2004-02-24, 12:40 AM in reply to EX-Mania's post starting "Doesn't represent seniority... I have..."
kinda what i do, i roam around. I spend most my time in this forum. =\
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-24, 05:16 AM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "kinda what i do, i roam around. I spend..."
Your status doesn't show Seniority Ex, there were a few people who were mods before they even had any posts(I'm pretty sure shinto was one.) Like volstrecker said, he's a mod but he doesn't consider himself Senior member.

I'm not a mod and I consider myself a senior member.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-02-24, 06:52 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Your status doesn't show Seniority Ex,..."
I mainly don't feel like a Senior Member mainly because I'm not exactly recognized outside of the Diablo forums.

A true Senior Member (in my opinion) is recognized everywhere (if not respected). Give me a little while, and I'll be there.

Also, I would like to point out that being Senior Member shouldn't be confused with a contributing member, in general.

As far as the debate considering Post Count vs. Member Status, it's really hard to think of a better way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-02-24, 07:35 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I mainly don't feel like a Senior..."
yea, i am a senior member apperently, and i have just over 200 posts. lol.

I just roam around and post something if it interest me or something like this thread, a discussion on stuff.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide