Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Organ Donation
Posted 2010-11-15, 09:28 AM
Are you or are you not a donor? If you are, why? If you aren't, why? Are you in favor of compulsory organ donation, or are you in favor of an opt-in/opt-out system? Do you think non-donors should be eligible for transplants? I'm curious how the opinions will differ here. I find that my opinion tends to be pretty unpopular.

I'm not a registered donor, but I've instructed my loved-ones to donate my organs if they determine that there's no hope for me. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence, and likely a lot of statistical evidence, that being a registered donor lowers your chances of survival in a life-threatening medical emergency. This is, in my opinion, the second biggest flaw in the system. The only way I can think of to fix this flaw is to require everyone to be organ donors. I don't particularly like this option, as I think it is each individual's choice whether or not to be a donor, but I don't know of any other way to fix this particular flaw. For the sake of the rest of my argument, I'm going to ignore this flaw, as well as ignore this option.

Generally speaking, I'm against compulsory organ donation. I think I'd prefer our system to be opt-out rather than opt-in, but ultimately I don't think it makes much difference. However, I'm of the opinion that if you are not an organ donor, you should not be eligible to receive organ transplants. Basically, if you aren't supporting the system yourself, you shouldn't be able to benefit from it. In my opinion, this is no different than someone not paying taxes and then expecting the government to still protect them and give them representation and offer them services that are funded by taxes. This is the biggest flaw in the system, in my opinion. There's no drawback to not being a donor, since you are still eligible for transplants, and you don't have the added risk of death during a medical emergency. Surprisingly, I find that most people disagree with me that non-donors shouldn't be eligible, probably because most people are selfish pricks.

tl;dr: Non-donors shouldn't be able to benefit from the system.

/discuss
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!