Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2005-07-05, 12:56 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Pages don't bother me. As long as it's..."
Shadowrun is a pencil and paper RPG. It's like D&D.

And Anne Rice (not Anna) does the vampire books.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-05, 04:49 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Pages don't bother me. As long as it's..."
Shadowrun is a P&P RPG, like Dungeons & Dragons. Only it's sci-fi, and about ten-thousand times cooler.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2005-07-09, 12:56 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Shadowrun is a P&P RPG, like Dungeons &..."
Ah...okie dokie then.

This is some list I've got...should be some fun reading.

Thanks guys.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-07-09, 01:31 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ah...okie dokie then. This is some..."
I just started reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's pretty good so far.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-09, 03:36 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I just started reading The Dark Tower..."
What are the Dark Tower books about??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-07-10, 12:47 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What are the Dark Tower books about??"
Here's the jist of it:

Roland is the last Gunslinger in the world. The Gunslingers of Roland's world were, in the past, seen as both the lawmen and rulers of the kingdoms they served. When a gunslinger sires a child, the child is trained from birth in the ways of killing and survival. They are honed into perfect physical vessels, made into superhuman combatants, strategists and leaders through decades of rigorous conditioning.

Since Roland was a teenager, he has been on a quest to find the Dark Tower, an unfathomably large structure that serves as the linchpin that holds all reality together. He seeks the Tower because, for the last several hundred years, it has been dying. The Tower's strength has been fading, causing the boundaries between all reality to warp and thin. Should the Tower fall, all creation falls with it.

Since beginning his quest, Roland has witnessed the demise of the entire Gunslinger order, so that at this point, he is the only one left. Now, decades after his search began, he has found his first major trail towards the Tower. He is hunting The Man In Black, and upon capturing him, will do whatever it takes to learn the path to the Tower and the path to the salvation of all reality.

Basically, it's Lord of the Rings meets The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's a really cool mishmash of medieval fantasy and bloody western themes, with a lot of philosophical flavoring spread over it. The first book won't knock you on your ass, most likely. However, give it until you finish the second book before you decide whether to continue the series or not. The first book, The Gunslinger, is pretty short (only about 200 pages), but it's a pretty entertaining read. The second book, The Drawing of the Three, is where the story really begins to pick up. Read at least that far before you make a judgment.

To pimp the books as much as possible, I can say it's undeniably my favorite series ever. I've read through the first four books probably three times each, which is more than any other collection of works I've ever read. Rarely do I ever read anything more than once.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2005-07-18, 09:05 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Pages don't bother me. As long as it's..."
If you're a fan of anything like theoretical physics, I'd reccomend picking up Hyperspace by Michio Kaku, the book is a real trip. It explains about the 12 (yes, 12) dimensions, Superstring theory, among other things. The best part is it's explained in terms that even my little cousin could understand. Interesting stuff!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2005-07-18, 09:46 AM in reply to Wiccan][V][asta's post starting "If you're a fan of anything like..."
I know about the 12 dimensions kinda...sounds interesting. I'll have to pick it up sometime.

Anyone got/read the new HP yet?? I managed to get it for £10 cheaper than the price it should be, first edition as well...

Lots of surprises in it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny