Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II > D2 PvP

Life or Max Block?
Posted 2004-09-22, 07:06 AM
We've all encountered it sometime... Pumping more points into Vitality... Or go with Dexterity for max block? Maxed block gives you, in theory, 25% chance to be hit. Vitality gives life, which gives you more survivability. However, max block does too. Not? I'm sure there is a formula for this one... However, it would be pretty useless to sacrifice 200 life for 1% more block (TO GIVE AN EXAMPLE).

It all depends on what kind of build you are. If you are BvB, you should have max block, because you will take severe damage. If you are a sorc killing barb, it's better to leave strength and dexterity at it's lowest. Base if possible, and pump everything into Vitality. Barbs get 4 life each vitality point.

Now lets get to sorcs... They get less life a barb gets, so having max block on a sorc is recommended. If you are a tele sorc, maybe you want less block. Constantly tele'ing makes your "touchability" less. However, when you DO get hit, is the max block better or is the huge life better? Don't forget, block only blocks physical attacks. Are you going to get hit more frequently by magical attacks than by physical, you should go for life. Necro's aren't likely to get hit by barbs. Even those with Enigma. If they DO get hit, there is bone armor. When you're having a shield like, say Homunculus you will block better compared to Boneflame. Which means you need more points into Dex, and therefor, less into Vit, and therefor, sacrificing life. If you're a necro, and a sorc killer (meaning you're not likely to fight a WW-sin, Barb, Amazon) you should have more life.

There is an exception for Paladins, they have to have max block AT ALL COST. With Holy Shield, this shouldn't be too hard.

Hope this helped.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ScamAlot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenScamAlot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ScamAlot

Posted 2004-09-22, 09:00 AM in reply to ScamAlot's post "Life or Max Block?"
.... didn't read your post, cuz it's totally usless.

Max block > everything
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-09-22, 11:59 AM in reply to Ganga's post starting ".... didn't read your post, cuz it's..."
indeed, if you are pvp and you want to actually be viable and survive? there are barbs that would kill you in 10 sec without max block. maybe less. oh man. i could name countless times when max block saved me. even if you are a tele whore...no one is actually pro enough to dodge as often. i mean yes i do dodge quite often on a sorc, and i am pretty good on a sorc or good with tele. but even if, i still get hit. especially dueling a zon or a wwsin or a kicksin, your gonna need the block.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
j_d is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenj_d is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

j_d

Posted 2004-09-22, 01:15 PM in reply to j_d's post starting "indeed, if you are pvp and you want to..."
omfg I HATES YOU ALL!!!! *sobs*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ScamAlot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenScamAlot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ScamAlot

Posted 2004-09-22, 02:45 PM in reply to ScamAlot's post starting "omfg :( :( I HATES YOU ALL!!!! *sobs*"
ScamAlot said:
omfg I HATES YOU ALL!!!! *sobs*
What was that about?

Anyways back on topic, yes max block is recommended on ALL builds.

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-09-22, 07:12 PM in reply to ExT's post starting "What was that about? Anyways back on..."
Then again, if you go Caster Vs Caster more life is better, but if you do pub duels, just max block

EDIT: Oops I misclicked the Edit for the reply button

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-09-22, 11:25 PM in reply to j_d's post starting "indeed, if you are pvp and you want to..."
j_d said:
indeed, if you are pvp and you want to actually be viable and survive? there are barbs that would kill you in 10 sec without max block. maybe less. oh man. i could name countless times when max block saved me. even if you are a tele whore...no one is actually pro enough to dodge as often. i mean yes i do dodge quite often on a sorc, and i am pretty good on a sorc or good with tele. but even if, i still get hit. especially dueling a zon or a wwsin or a kicksin, your gonna need the block.
only this j-nub comes up with rubbish, im pro enuff to dodge. its a matter of preferance and MAINLY on your playing style
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
blckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenblckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

blckshdwdragon

Posted 2004-09-23, 07:50 PM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "only this j-nub comes up with rubbish,..."
blckshdwdragon said:
only this j-nub comes up with rubbish, im pro enuff to dodge. its a matter of preferance and MAINLY on your playing style
I R SO PRO I DODGE ALL FOH EVEN IF USE AA OMG LOLOLO
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
TheFinalrei is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTheFinalrei is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

TheFinalrei

Posted 2004-09-23, 07:52 PM in reply to TheFinalrei's post starting "I R SO PRO I DODGE ALL FOH EVEN IF USE..."
I told you to stop the bullshit posting, and you didn't. Can't say I didnt expect that, but, your gone for a week. Next time your perm banned.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-09-23, 09:09 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I told you to stop the bullshit..."
I know its offtopic, but ..

THX SOV !

now, back on topic...

Block on 1.09
Vita on 1.10
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Luhizot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLuhizot is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Luhizot

Posted 2004-09-24, 11:09 AM in reply to Luhizot's post starting "I know its offtopic, but .. THX SOV..."
Look at it this way:
My Zons GA = 533-6,301 + Critical + Deadly + Crushing. Factor that in together and you get ALOT of damage. SO lets say you have no block and got like 800 more life by doing no block. Like 10,000 Damage Guided arrows nail your ass with no block and after PvP penalties and DR amounts your 800 life is cut down in 1-2 hits. While max block prevents 75% of those hits...its common fucking sence...get max block.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Endurack is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Endurack

Posted 2004-09-24, 01:46 PM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Look at it this way: My Zons GA =..."
omfg? why aren't u READORING my explanati0r? vs zon you should have max block... DUH... the speed and damage...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

ScamAlot