Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

RAM Problem.
Posted 2005-07-23, 09:42 AM
Just ran down to Comp USA and got another 512 of RAM. Slapped it into my computer, turned the computer on... and nothing. Nothing at all. It like makes my motherboard not work. The mouse doesnt operate, Windows doesn't boot up. The computers power is on, but thats about it.
Motherboard is a Asus P5GD1-VM
Takes DDR SDRAM. The RAM I bought is the same as the current stick I'm using I checked w/ EVEREST. I also tried it in two different slots.
Any help?

Wanted to know. My computer has 2 CPU's it seems. How does this affect me... is this a good thing or more just blase.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4-1-2004, 5.1.2600.0(x2) is what the specs say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-07-23, 10:24 AM in reply to Kaneda's post "RAM Problem."
Kaneda said:
Just ran down to Comp USA
Sorry, I stopped reading there.

Anyway, the two processor thing you're seeing is just a gimmick called Hyper-Threading, there is only one processor but the Pentium 4 emulates another one using HT. Why? To be gay.

I'm assuming the motherboard works when you take the new RAM back out? Did you try booting with the new RAM only, and not using the old stick? Does that work?

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2005-07-23 at 10:26 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-07-23, 10:56 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sorry, I stopped reading there. ..."
A bad stick of ram can fuck up a boot. You probably just need to exchange it.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-23, 12:07 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "A bad stick of ram can fuck up a boot. ..."
Not only that, but two different sticks of ram have a tendency to not run together, you need to buy a pair like here to ensure stability. If I put my stick of Kingmax 3200 in with the corsair I'll have the same problem.

I have a ram horror story from Comp USA (who doesn't?..)
I spent $250 on high performance Centon DDR434(PC3500) (same box, matching heatsinks) By luck it ran in my machine, but as time went on and I learned more about memory, I found out that they gave me one stick of Kingston PC3700 and one of Kingmax PC3200, I only figured it out because they wouldn't run in a new machine I built. So I yanked the heatsinks off.(and cpuz let me know a while before, but I assumeed it was wrong)

So now I have the 1gb kit of corsair from newegg and it runs perfect. They sold me what I bought. Comp USA are crooks.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Adrenachrome; 2005-07-23 at 12:09 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-07-23, 02:04 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "A bad stick of ram can fuck up a boot. ..."
Yes the motherboard does work when I take the RAM backout.

I thought about the bad stick, so I went and exchanged it today. Same problem.
I'll go ahead and take out the old stick, and leave the new one in. See if that does anything. Otherwise I'll just hold off, and get a matching pair like Adrena suggested.

Edit: 
Works w/ the new stick. Definalty just like Adrena said, they are not compatible together. POS
Now if slaynish would just get on AIM...

Last edited by Kaneda; 2005-07-23 at 02:11 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2005-07-23, 09:30 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Yes the motherboard does work when I..."
The slayer of dicks?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2005-07-24, 09:26 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Yes the motherboard does work when I..."
Greaat. So I installed a new 512 of RAM, so that I could have my computer run faster for 1 day, and then act like it only has 256 again the next day. Gotta love it. On the other hand the RAM was on sale and has a rebate, so maybe I'll go get some more.

Edit: 
I don't understand EVEREST says I'm only using -350 of my 500 available RAM and its taking much to long to just to bring up new windows.

Edit: 
Look! A double edit. This time I've come to the conclusion that it was my internet. Everythings good now, for now.

Last edited by Kaneda; 2005-07-24 at 10:01 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda