Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2004-08-24, 06:56 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Meh, Kurt was great IMHO, i love..."
Shinto, once a guitarist gets the hang of hammer ons and pull offs Thunderstruck isn't terribly hard... it's just a little fast. However, it is the ultimate song for impressing nubs. Nubs like tokill.ace. And while Angus Young is a solid lead guitarist, he should not be considered among the legendary guitarists. He was not absurdly incredible, and he did nothing to pioneer the industry himself. The ACDC vision was all Dave Evan's handy work (lead singer).

I reiterate, Thunderstruck impresses nubs. It is a tight song though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-08-24, 07:48 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Shinto, once a guitarist gets the hang..."
i told my friend about all of this and then showed him raziel's response. all he could say was: omfg, http://www.justiceforkurt.com
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
symnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensymnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

symnzXx

Posted 2004-08-24, 08:20 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "i told my friend about all of this and..."
i read they website they show how many people who killed themself for him. Wow they simply moron i wouldn't kill myself if someone die that plain stupid if they killed themself he won't come back or nether them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2004-08-24, 10:53 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I love how people in their own heavy..."
Titusfied said:
I love how people in their own heavy metal/punk rock types of bands classify Nirvana as "sloppy, art-house alternative rock".
And I love how everybody in their little MTV-huddle of musical tastes labels death metal as being nothing but screaming and violence. Everybody is capable of generalizing a band like that. It just so happens that in this situation, I'm right.

Titusfied said:
There was no one like Nirvana back in the day.
There's a pretty damned good reason for that. Because they sucked. People only started emulating that band because they got famous, and they only became famous because Kurt was capable of writing a few catchy riffs and didn't sound like any of the hair-metal bands that were dominating the airwaves at the time. They got big because they were a breath of new air, not necessarily because they were any good.

The fact is, they were a sloppy, sloppy band. Kurt Cobain was a terrible vocalist, a mediocre guitarist and a mediocre songwriter. I'm not one of those people who thinks technical skill is the apotheosis of talent. It takes a hell of a lot more than just skill to make good music. It takes a certain amount of passion, drive and inspiration to make music. However, it is clearly evident that Kurt Cobain had none of those things. Had he had any of those qualitities, he would have been willing to suffer for his art instead of taking the ultimate-chicken-shit route out of his misery. I think the absolute most despicable thing about Kurt Cobain was the fact that he took his own life in light of the fact that he was raising an infant daughter. I don't care how fucked up you are on drugs, that's not acceptable. My father was an acitve crack addict for nearly two years and he's still alive and working to right his wrongs. Kurt Cobain left a legacy of cowardice, selfishness and pure unadulterated loathsomeness behind and all because he couldn't handle the fame. Pathetic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-08-25, 11:19 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "And I love how everybody in their..."
Heh, that is one way to think about it I guess, saying he couldn't handle the fame. I doubt that is the truth though. I highly doubt he was like, "Holy shit, I'm too famous, how about I just get really fucked up on drugs, then kill myself. That way, I don't have to deal with it!" Not likely.

They might not have been the greatest band ever, and I don't know if you are somehow involved in the decisions it takes to sign a band to a record label, but I'm sure they had just a little more than a few catchy riffs if they made it that big. There are plenty of different music styles out there, so I doubt they were just looking for the next new thing by chance. Truth is, although you might not have liked his music, vocals, etc. a very very large mass of people did. And clearly enough to make them a highly popular group that made successful album after successful album.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those all impressed individuals that cried when Kurt killed himself, but I do like a lot of their songs. You don't have to be a guitar expert or a song writer to see talent, but it can help.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-08-25, 11:30 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Shinto, once a guitarist gets the hang..."
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2004-08-25, 01:59 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
Yeah... last night I looked at a live show of theirs from Netscape.com. It was pretty tight. However, when I downloaded "Jimi Hendrix live at Albert Hall" on Kazaa... I nearly creamed my pants.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-08-25, 06:43 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Yeah... last night I looked at a live..."
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2004-08-25, 09:57 PM in reply to Shining Knights's post starting "It matters not whether you win or lose;..."
Hahahahahaha.... yeah, the platform... yes. In the later years though, when he is pretty old and burned out looking... he just sort of tip toes towards the platform... or lurches.. haha.. yes...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-08-26, 03:50 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Hahahahahaha.... yeah, the platform......"
doesn't carlos santana qualify for a legendary guitar player?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
symnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensymnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

symnzXx

Posted 2004-08-28, 03:48 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "doesn't carlos santana qualify for a..."
ummm i dont think so, maybe, pretty much the only song ive heard by him is that one big hit, i forget what its called, and i have to say, nirvana can be catchy, and its like cool sounding, but they did suck, i dont really know if that made any sense, but kurt WAS a terrible musician, when i first started playing guitar, the first songs i learned were all by nirvana, i kinda think all the songs sound the same
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
w00t.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenw00t.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

w00t.ace

Posted 2004-08-28, 11:31 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "doesn't carlos santana qualify for a..."
symnzXx said:
doesn't carlos santana qualify for a legendary guitar player?
you must be kidding... the only reason that guy is so popular is because he is one of the few latino guitarists and they just jump his badnwagon every chance they get.

Nirvana was a decent band, but i think what made them great was the influence they had on later artists. They steered away from the norm and made something new, maybe to some shitty, but it was new. Same reason i like Rush/Neil Pert so much. Double-kick tore shit up!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mydogisyourdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMydogisyourdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Mydogisyourdog

Posted 2004-08-29, 12:10 AM in reply to Mydogisyourdog's post starting "you must be kidding... the only reason..."
There were other bands already steering from the norm, what Nirvana DID was open the public's eyes to it...

As far as my opinion on Nirvana, I originally hated them, then liked some of their stuff, then went back to hating them again.

Raziel said:
I'm not one of those people who thinks technical skill is the apotheosis of talent.
Exactly. Music is a blend of the exacting technicality of playing music, and the creativeness of inventing the music to be played. One cannot survive without the other.

You don't need an incredibly talented musician to be a good band. Taking Soulfly for example, I've merely messed around with the guitar off and on for 1-2 years (no lessons or anything, I'm incompetent, I admit) and I'm confident I could play Lead Guitar for Soulfly. They maintain a unique (and sometimes very creative) sound for musicians in their Genre. That, and the fact that Max Cavalera is one of the most recognised names in Scream/Death metal, as Sepultura was one of the first bands in that genre...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-29, 12:54 AM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "i told my friend about all of this and..."
symnzXx said:
i told my friend about all of this and then showed him raziel's response. all he could say was: omfg, http://www.justiceforkurt.com
Thanks a ton for that site. I read almost the whole thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arbitus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArbitus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arbitus