Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Goodbye, democracy
Posted 2008-06-18, 03:19 PM
The Parliament of Sweden (Riksdag) passed Preposition 2006/07:63 a few minutes ago (143 YEA, 138 NAY, 67 ABSTAIN). Essentially, this means that government wiretapping of all electronic communication which "crosses the borders of Sweden" (which in practice means almost ALL electronic communication due to our common routing through nearby nations) has been legalized. To put it in other terms: None of our phone calls, e-mails, text messages or browsing habits are subject to privacy any longer.

Google has stated it will move its servers out of Sweden, and several of our phone and internet operators have already started to move out of this country. This is not just bad, it is catastrophic on an Orwellian scale. DDR was the last nation in Europe to have a law similar to, but not as bad as this one.

After I post this message, I will begin encryption of all of my electronic signals without exception. I will also leave Sweden as soon as possible, hopefully before it is too late to escape the Big Brother information society that was created tonight. I am not joking about this. Thank you.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 03:30 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Goodbye, democracy"
What was the motivating reason behind the passing of this bill? Terrorism?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2008-06-18, 03:34 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "What was the motivating reason behind..."
Jamesadin said: [Goto]
What was the motivating reason behind the passing of this bill? Terrorism?
Indeed, amongst related arguments which are meant as evident evocation of fear (e.g. bombings and organized crime). Members of the Swedish "liberal" parties currently in power have been extremely evasive about specific comments relating to these portrayed threats.

In fact, since the 2001 WTC bombings, terrorism has hardly been discussed at all here. The "aftermath" of the London and Spain bombings involved around a week of public debate before falling into oblivion.

Things just seem too hasty. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are other interests behind this than to protect our citizens from terrorism. Political pressures from the U.S. relating to The Pirate Bay is the first thing that comes to mind, but who knows what this will lead to?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 03:47 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Indeed, amongst related arguments which..."
I just looked this up on The Pirate Bay.

Quote:
Today the frontpage is in Swedish again. We're sorry for that but it's important that also people outside of Sweden know what's going on. We hope to raise awareness by doing this.

There is a new law being voted for on the 17th of June here in Sweden. The law would give the government the right to listen to all telephone and internet traffic that crosses the borders outside of Sweden. In reality - it's basically all traffic in Sweden since we're a small nation and Internet is global.

We want to let you understand more and read up on what this means - and make your voice heard about this! This is a major threat against our civil rights and we must act. We must act now! Read more about this on the new webpage started for this! And do it now, after june 17th it's too late!
This is an exact quote. Apparently it's too late though.

Chruser, run away as soon as possible!

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-06-18, 03:50 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Goodbye, democracy"
Drr Drr Drr

You can live in my basement.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby

Posted 2008-06-18, 03:53 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Indeed, amongst related arguments which..."
Well, this is just too stupid. I'm left speechless.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Aston is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenAston is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Aston

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:05 PM in reply to Aston's post starting "Well, this is just too stupid. I'm left..."
Aston said: [Goto]
Well, this is just too stupid. I'm left speechless.

Speechless by the hands of the Swedish authority?

Is there any other information to support such a preposition? What silliness.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Milled is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMilled is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Milled

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:06 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Goodbye, democracy"
Any ideas on which country you will emigrate to?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:34 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Any ideas on which country you will..."
Milled said: [Goto]
None has been made public.

HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Ideas for countries which offer 100/10 mbps connection with no bandwidth transfer caps for $50 or less per month are welcome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:34 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Any ideas on which country you will..."
He could come to England - we're not monitored as much, after all.

---

Quote:
143 YEA, 138 NAY, 67 ABSTAIN
I can't see people letting this go without a fight. Is it possible for another vote to be called? Without the majority, the group that said "YEA" have to be careful with any more laws in relation to this one, no?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Milled said: [Goto]
None has been made public.

HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Ideas for countries which offer 100/10 mbps connections with no bandwidth transfer caps for $50 or less per month are welcome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:38 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He could come to England - we're not..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
I can't see people letting this go without a fight. Is it possible for another vote to be called? Without the majority, the group that said "YEA" have to be careful with any more laws in relation to this one, no?
I am confident the legislation will be combated in the European Court of Human Rights, but who knows how long that will take? The "Alliance" government currently in power has completely disregarded their voters and portrayed ideals, and who knows what they'll accomplish in the next few years until re-election?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 04:42 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I am confident the legislation will be..."
Oh, so it's not a single party, but rather a coalition govt.?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-06-18, 05:04 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oh, so it's not a single party, but..."
Indeed. The current coalition government that rules Sweden has been in power since 2006.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-18, 07:51 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Any ideas on which country you will..."
Let me know when you find a country that has freedom.

Seriously.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
krisvek is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkrisvek is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

krisvek

Posted 2008-06-18, 08:15 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He could come to England - we're not..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
He could come to England - we're not monitored as much, after all.

---

England is well on it's way. Nanny state.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-18, 09:03 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Goodbye, democracy"
I'm kinda speechless, I figured Homeland Security would have passed this before Sweden.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-06-18, 09:14 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I am confident the legislation will be..."
How's South Korea?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-18, 10:25 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Goodbye, democracy"
Well, that's pretty fucked up. My condolences.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-06-19, 10:15 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Well, that's pretty fucked up. My..."
america hasent got that butwere i live the internet is slow with ie but with firfox it is faster
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123