Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Musical Guilty Pleasures?
Posted 2004-04-14, 02:31 AM
I don't want to hear any "I'm not ashamed of anything I listen to" responses. That's a boring response. I'm not asking if you feel guilty for listening to a particular band.

Everybody has their own musical preferences. And while many try to pull the "I like all music" thing, nobody is 100% un-biased in terms of their musical tastes. Regardless of how open-minded you think you are in regards to music, there are certain styles of music that you prefer over others, and you know it. There's nothing wrong with that. It's human nature.

With that in mind, what artists do you listen to that contradict your normal preferences? What bands do you have in your playlist, or what CDs do you have in your collection that seem extremely out of place next to the rest of your music?

I'll get this started with my own guilty pleasures.

Billy Joel - Innocent Man and River of Dreams in particular.
Jimmy Buffett - Everything he's ever done. Jimmy is the man.
Bruce Springsteen - Again, pretty much everything.
Prozzak - I only own Hot Show because Saturday People is impossible to find.
Nickelback - I hate these guys, but there are a couple of good songs off their first album.
The Wallflowers - I can't stand that "One Headlight" song, but the rest of their stuff is actually pretty good.
They Might be Giants - Pretty much everything they've ever done.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I remember more, I'll post them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-04-14, 03:07 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Musical Guilty Pleasures?"
All of the above except Nickelback because there ARE no good songs... other guilty pleasures of mine include Nena (80's german pop and yes she owns) and various other 80's bands like Eurythmics and classic Michael Jackson... and come on, Raz, We Didn't Start the Fire is a kickass Billy Joel song.

Edit:

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

Istanbul

Il papa caca nei legno?

Last edited by RoboticSilence; 2004-04-14 at 03:12 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-04-14, 03:58 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "All of the above except Nickelback..."
Which Istanbul video did you prefer? The Tiny Toons version or the original? I preferred the original, myself. And "We Didn't Start The Fire" is a kickass song, I just don't know whwich album it's from. The only albums of his that I'm very familiar with are the two I listed.

And now that I've looked at my playlist, the only Nickelback song I can say is actually worth a damn is "Breathe". The rest is complete crap.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-04-14, 08:07 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Which Istanbul video did you prefer? ..."
Van Morrison. Don't ask why, but this dude is just the greatest. Eric Clapton, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-14, 09:54 AM in reply to uncapped's post starting "Van Morrison. Don't ask why, but this..."
I have an mp3 player in my truck, my mp3 disc has allmost all metal type music on it 3 godsmack , 2 distrubed, 2 mudyene, 3 system of a down, 1 rammenstein, 1 evenessece , and 2 slipknot albums. the one that out of place in the group is an album of techno music i downloaded.....

Ignore my crappy spelling.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

‡AC‡

Posted 2004-04-14, 10:59 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Musical Guilty Pleasures?"
Hm...the only thing I listen to that clashes with my norm is Eminem. And even then it's only a few songs by him. Like "Haylee's Song", or "Skeletons in My Closet".

Also, "We Didn't Start The Fire" is on disk two of "The Essential Billy Joel". I love that man.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2004-04-14, 12:04 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Musical Guilty Pleasures?"
I don't think Billy Joel should be considered a guilty pleasure, honestly. He is kickass, and I actually really like most of all his songs.

Guiltness List:
Cake - Particularly the Frank Sonatra and He's Going The Distance songs...
Maroon 5 - This Love... Shoot me now?
Prince - You Don't Have to be Rich...
Al Green - So In Love With You... BOO YA!

Thats all I can think of at this point, or rather, that I want to disclose...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-04-14, 12:38 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Musical Guilty Pleasures?"
In he midst of Soulfly, Sepultura, and other such bands, I have:

Men at Work: Down Under
Men without Hats: Safety Dance
Golden Earring: Twilight Zone
and the Beverly Hills Cop theme...

Everyone has to have some 80's music to laugh at and make their day better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-04-14, 01:29 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "In he midst of Soulfly, Sepultura, and..."
I dont know, I seem to like the song Uptown Girl by Billy Joel. Its so damn catchy!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2004-04-14, 01:31 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "In he midst of Soulfly, Sepultura, and..."
Yeah, I kinda like some of Eminems songs, but the song that I am ashamed to have on one of my burnt CD's is Ludacris's "Act a fool". I used to listen to it alot, now I just skip it most of the time when it comes up.

A kickass band that I'm never gonna be ashamed of listening to is Dope, one of their best songs is "Die Motherfucker Die". Go hear it!

Anyway...I made a promise to be anti-rap a long time ago and I broke my own promise and let me down .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2004-04-14, 01:41 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Yeah, I kinda like some of Eminems..."
New York State of Mind is fucking awesome by Billy, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-15, 10:31 AM in reply to uncapped's post starting "New York State of Mind is fucking..."
All of Raz's list plus all Billy Joel mentioned.

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Queen - mostly Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure and Who Wants to Live Forever
Tom Petty - Refugee and Free Falling
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Probably others. I also have a strange addiction to Cheap Trick.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-04-15, 11:54 AM in reply to kaos's post starting "Yeah, I kinda like some of Eminems..."
kaos said:
Anyway...I made a promise to be anti-rap a long time ago and I broke my own promise and let me down .
I kind of did the same thing. I still listen to old school Snoop and now DMX also...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-04-15, 12:50 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "All of Raz's list plus all Billy Joel..."
Rurouni Storm said:
Bohemian Rhapsody
Thats no guilty pleasure, man. Thats just one hell of a good song.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2004-04-15, 03:16 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "Thats no guilty pleasure, man. Thats..."
Maroon 5 - this love (dont ban me)
Green Day - first 2 cds were awsome.
Jay-z - 99 problems.
Journy - love all their shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2004-04-19, 08:15 AM in reply to platnum's post starting "Maroon 5 - this love (dont ban me)..."
sarah mclahahlaralan - fallen
almost everything from Nirvana and coldplay
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2004-04-19, 11:17 AM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "sarah mclahahlaralan - fallen almost..."
I hate rap but... I dont mind "THe Chemical Brothers" or that one song by D12 "My band" otherwise I cant stand it.

I listen to some softer stuff that my friends dont like such as "Rufas Wainright" and "Cat stevens"

I like pop second to rock but that is sort of guilty too. "Dandy Warhols" and "Air" I love em but my friends dont.

thats bout it for guilty music pleasures.
Zelaron - [ Translate this page ]
Zelaron est une communauté en ligne pour des gamers, des programmeurs et des ar.
www.yotor.com/wiki/fr/ze/Zelaron.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arkantis

Posted 2004-04-19, 11:29 PM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "I hate rap but... I dont mind "THe..."
Vollstrecker said:
Golden Earring: Twilight Zone
Golden Earring fucking rocks. "Radar Love" is another badass tune of thiers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-04-20, 08:46 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Golden Earring fucking rocks. "Radar..."
That's the only Golden Earring song I have.

I just remembered this story, seeing my friend log on to AIM:
I have to tell you why I still retain "The Safety Dance". A friend and I (we used to work for DISH Network) were rolling into Mandatory Overtime in his big-ass '77(?) Lincoln Continental, and decided we were going to thump "Safety Dance" on his stereo.

We roll in, and all of Management was outside, because a local radio station was doing on on-site promotion to help get new employees or something.

The guy who was talking into the microphone stops, and everyone just kind of stares as we cruise by them in the parking lot (I can almost guarantee something was said over the radio about that)...
I haven't laughed harder since my best friend tried to back up thru a Drive-Thru at Jack in the Box.

That story may be for another time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-04-20, 10:25 AM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "sarah mclahahlaralan - fallen almost..."
Nirvana...a guilty pleasure? Blasphemy!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer