Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

The Language Gene
Posted 2008-02-12, 08:33 PM
Okay, I lied. There is no such thing as "the language gene." Language is the cumulative corollary of a multitude of genes.

A gene known as FoxP2, however, plays a very important role in the development of language. Mutations in this gene are associated with a condition known as developmental verbal dysparxia (DVD), a condition which causes deficits in both the expressive and receptive aspects of language. DVD patients have structural and functional abnormalities in the striatum of the basal ganglia (a region in the brain), which expresses high levels of FoxP2.

Zebra finches, a type of songbird, also express this gene heavily in Area X, a basal ganglia region, while in the process of learning their song, or singing directed songs. Area X is a part of a basal ganglia-forebrain circuit, the AFP, which bears similarities with mammalian cortical-basal ganglia loops. 25 days after hatching, zebra finch males begin to learn songs from an adult tutor. They imitate their tutor with remarkable fidelity around 90 days after hatching.

I am currently working in one of my old professor's labs whose research is centered around this gene. In December of '07, a paper came out in PLOS Biology which paralleled what my professor is attempting to do. The summary of the paper follows.

The paper intends to show that "zebra finches with reduced FoxP2 expression levels in Area X imitated tutor songs incompletely and inaccurately." To do this, the research team created a viral vector known as shFoxP2. shFoxP2 was injected into the zebra finch on the 23rd day after hatching. Once shFoxP2 was injected, it integrated with the host's DNA and was thusly expressed throughout the birds life. The purpose of shFoxP2 was to lower the expression of the FoxP2 gene in Area X. The research team also created a control virus, known as shControl, which did not target any zebra finch gene. All viral constructs (shControl and shFoxP2) expressed a GFP gene, which allowed infected brain to be detected by fluorescence microscopy.

On the 30th day after hatching, each juvenile zebra finch, from now on referred to as a pupil, was placed with an adult male zebra finch as a tutor. What follows is an analysis of the song development of the birds injected with the viruses.

The images, namely A, B, and especially G, are quite revealing. Image A shows a 50 nano-meter brain section from a male zebra finch. Area X is emphasized by the white arrows. Area B shows the same image through fluorescent microscopy. Note, the green section in image B shows the expression of GFP. Essentially, green shows the part of the brain that is infected with the virus. Another thing to note is that the green region in B corresponds with the outline of Area X in A. Image G is important image. Cells that express FoxP2 appear red. Those infected with the virus appear green. Note, that in the picture showing GFP expression, the density of infected cells is about the same for both shControl and shFoxP2. On the other hand, shFoxP2 has a much lower level of FoxP2 expression than shControl.

Now, to analyze the songs of the birds themselves. Zebra finch songs consist of different sound elements, called syllables. Syllables are interrupted by intervals of silence. Syllables are sung in a sequential order, which constitute a motif. During a song, a variable number of motifs are sung in short succession.

Images A-C show a moitif. Tutor syllables are indicated by black letters. Imprecisely copied pupil syllables are shown by red letters. Figure D analyzes the similarity of the bird songs quantitatively (shGFP can be thought of as another control), but a simple glimpse at the sonograms will show the drastic differences in the motifs sung by pupils injected with shControl and shFoxP2. Note, how similar the song of an shControl injected pupil is to that of an shFoxP2 injected pupil. According to computer analysis, the shControl pupil copied each syllable in the proper sequential order well enough for the computer to analyze and identify the syllable. In shFoxP2 injected pupils, syllables were out of order and some were too haphazard for the computer to identify as the same syllable sung by the tutor.

This picture is also quite revealing. Each vertical column shows a syllable. Syllables I, II, and III in A were imitated from the same tutor as the corresponding syllables in B. In each column, two vertical lines mark the beginning and the end of the longest rendition of each syllable. Note the variability in those infected with shFoxP2, especially in columns II and IV. shControl infected birds had relatively invariable duration times. Also note that the acoustic structure is far more variable again the birds infected with shFoxP2 than those infected with shControl. Image C shows the variability in birds infected with different viruses (once again, shGFP is another control), along with the tutor. It is interesting to see that birds injected with shControl have an almost indistinguishable variability in their song from the variability in the song of tutors. Image D analyzes syllable duration variation. Once again a similar phenomenon is observed. shFoxP2 birds have a much more variable duration of their syllables, whereas the control birds are almost indistinguishable from the tutors.

All in all, we can conclude from the results that the FoxP2 gene plays an important role in song imitation in zebra finches. It could be possible that inhibiting FoxP2 expression affects motor control of singing, however given that syllables with similar spectral feature could be learned or omitted by the same pupil this seems unlikely. It would be interesting to see whether "dysparxic song" is percieved as different by other finches and interferes with communication, as DVD does in humans. Considering that female songbirds prefer males with well-learned songs, this is what is to be expected. The fact that a reduction in FoxP2 affects the outcome of both song learning in birds and speech development in humans provides evidence that during evolution ancestral genes adapted in the human brain and gave rise to the capacity for language.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-18, 09:38 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "The Language Gene"
Very interesting.

I remember hearing something about the different electrical frequencies around the world changing how one interprets different languages. For example, as a Native English speaker, I have a hard time deciphering where the words start and end in, say, Japanese.

Perhaps the electrical frequencies one is exposed to alter the gene responsible for interpretting speech.

I can't seem to find any sources for that, but I know that I heard it somewhere, whether it's useful or not, it's still interesting.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-18, 08:29 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "The Language Gene"
This is your actual work? I think it's very interesting, tell me do you have an ultimate goal with this line of work, or are you kind of.. going with it? Just looking at what's been discovered in the last fifty years imagine what people in that field will learn in the future.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-18, 11:24 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "This is your actual work? I think it's..."
Adrenachrome said:
This is your actual work?
Well, this is my old professor's work, although he involves me a fair bit, so yea.

As for the ultimate goal, I find biology, and science in general very interesting. In my free time I mostly read text-books. As bad as it sounds, that's me. I would like to go into the field of neuroscience after college, so while I find this interesting, if I wanted to assign a more pragmatic goal to this I could say that a positive recommendation from my professor would drastically improve my chances of getting into a good Md/PhD program.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2008-02-18 at 11:27 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:17 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, this is my old professor's work,..."
One day you'll be a published scientist yourself .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:23 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, this is my old professor's work,..."
mjordan2nd said:
Well, this is my old professor's work, although he involves me a fair bit, so yea.

As for the ultimate goal, I find biology, and science in general very interesting. In my free time I mostly read text-books. As bad as it sounds, that's me. I would like to go into the field of neuroscience after college, so while I find this interesting, if I wanted to assign a more pragmatic goal to this I could say that a positive recommendation from my professor would drastically improve my chances of getting into a good Md/PhD program.

I got ya, the only real reason I opened a thread about genes, is because of that dinosaur dna show on Discovery the other night, that and I thought maybe there was some bizzare theory that you could change the language someone speaks by altering genes and or protiens.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:34 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "One day you'll be a published scientist..."
Willkillforfood said:
One day you'll be a published scientist yourself .
Heh, I would love to see my name on a journal article.

Quote:
that and I thought maybe there was some bizzare theory that you could change the language someone speaks by altering genes and or protiens.
You could certainly change someone's ability to speak through genetic treatment (which would vicariously change protein expression). Language itself, is not programmed into the genes, so you couldn't change what language someone spoke, however the ability for language is programmed into the genes.

Quote:
is because of that dinosaur dna show on Discovery the other night,
Talking about that show "before the dinosaurs?" I think that's what it's called. Yea, I missed the last few, but it's a very interesting show.

A random tidbit I'd like to throw out that it seems many don't know is that birds are the only living descendants of dinosaurs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:47 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Heh, I would love to see my name on a..."
Nono, the one after that, when they were expieramenting with genes in a chicken embryo and grew very primitive teeth, and a longer tail and other things, it was facinating, they basicly have found that the blueprint of ancient birds/dinosaurs were essentially still in the current chicken DNA that the different structures are activated or inactivated by either timing or protiens.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-19, 04:48 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Nono, the one after that, when they..."
Adrenachrome said:
Nono, the one after that, when they were expieramenting with genes in a chicken embryo and grew very primitive teeth, and a longer tail and other things, it was facinating, they basicly have found that the blueprint of ancient birds/dinosaurs were essentially still in the current chicken DNA that the different structures are activated or inactivated by either timing or protiens.
Ahh. Not sure which show that is then. If you'd hook me up with a link, I'd love to check it out some time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-19, 05:16 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ahh. Not sure which show that is then...."
I can't freakin think of it, I can't find it online, hopefully it will come to me...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-22, 07:15 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "I can't freakin think of it, I can't..."
Adrenachrome said:
I can't freakin think of it, I can't find it online, hopefully it will come to me...
A stoner's mind at work.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-02-22, 09:41 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "A stoner's mind at work. :grin:"
I still have no idea what the hell it was called :-/

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-25, 03:31 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "A stoner's mind at work. :grin:"
Thanatos said:
A stoner's mind at work.

Took the words right out of my mouth
WHat do you think? PCP, Mushrooms?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin