Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Windows Media Player will not run
Posted 2008-08-04, 12:18 PM
Suddenly and unexpectedly, Windows Media Player has stopped working. I cannot start it from the start menu or quick launch and it doesn't start when attempting to run media files. I'm running Windows XP, and the problem started with WMP 10. I have tried upgrading to WMP11, but it did not help
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-04, 12:31 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Windows Media Player will not run"
WetWired said: [Goto]
Suddenly and unexpectedly, Windows Media Player has stopped working. I cannot start it from the start menu or quick launch and it doesn't start when attempting to run media files. I'm running Windows XP, and the problem started with WMP 10. I have tried upgrading to WMP11, but it did not help
Holy shit. Same thing happened to me last week. And I did the exact same thing that you tried to do (upgrade), but even that didn't work. I am also on Windows XP.

For right now I've switched to VLC Media Player.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-08-04, 12:34 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Windows Media Player will not run"
Wow. That's very weird. Can you reinstall it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-08-04, 12:46 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Holy shit. Same thing happened to me..."
Do either of you have Windows Updates enabled, out of interest?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-08-04, 01:55 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Do either of you have Windows Updates..."
Yes, I do. Although I may have skipped out on a couple lately. I'll have to check when I get home.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-08-04, 03:30 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Wow. That's very weird. Can you..."
Yes, I've reinstalled it to no effect.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-04, 03:52 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Yes, I've reinstalled it to no effect."
Have you tried uninstalling Windows media player 10 and degrading to 9 or something?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-08-04, 05:56 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Have you tried uninstalling Windows..."
I can't find a way to uninstall 10
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-04, 06:00 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I can't find a way to uninstall 10"
I have had this happen a couple times with different programs. Sometimes Windows offers help, other times, just ignores it altogether. I checked to make sure that the shortcut was going to the correct location. Even the Start Menu is a shortcut I think...
Just Right-Click the desktop icon, click Properties. Move to the Shortcut tab if it's not there already. Then click Find Target.... If that doesn't do anything, then I guess that means your shortcut is broken. Hope this can be of some help.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2008-08-04, 10:05 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I have had this happen a couple times..."
It's not a shortcut problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-05, 01:59 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It's not a shortcut problem."
if(fileext==illegalz){
deactivate();
}

By now, if the imposed lack of functionality does have something to do with Windows Update or Windows Genuine Disadvantage, Google's relevant results will likely be interlarded with some inexorable musings.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-08-05 at 02:06 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-08-05, 10:58 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Windows Media Player will not run"
Have you looked in your task manager to see if the process is running or not? I used to have problems where I would open something, the process would be there, but I'd never see the program. It usually had to do with heavy computer lag and such.

My first guess was that maybe the process is being blocked by something, but if the process is running, that would eliminate that theory.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-05, 11:51 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It's not a shortcut problem."
It's not a shortcut problem.
Umm, Control panel = Uninstall programs?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-08-05, 01:08 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Umm, Control panel = Uninstall programs?"
WMP doesn't show up in the list except 11, and 11 just does a restore to what you were running before it. Even the window component uninstall just removes icons. There is no uninstall for WMP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-08-05, 01:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "WMP doesn't show up in the list except..."
Mine still won't work, either, and I've tried numerous things. That's weird that it happened at around the same time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-08-05, 01:47 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Mine still won't work, either, and I've..."
Will the program run in Safe Mode for either of you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-08-05, 04:48 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Will the program run in Safe Mode for..."
I'd suggest you guys go to www.computerproblems.org

I know advertising other websites isn't allowed, but they're super helpful with any sort of computer problems. A few Zelaroners post there (or at least used to) and the people there really seem to know their stuff. Be sure to give every bit of information that you can.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-08-06, 12:34 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "WMP doesn't show up in the list except..."
If you want to bad enough just reformat . And this all happened because you touch yourself at night.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:07 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "If you want to bad enough just reformat..."
try looking for the uninstall in program files/windows movie player
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:28 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "try looking for the uninstall in..."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
try looking for the uninstall in program files/windows movie player
Jamer, we've already suggested this. Read the past posts before you post useless spam.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow