Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Posted 2007-10-05, 05:03 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "So why'd they target her, out of all..."
Thanatos said:
So why'd they target her, out of all people?
I think it was more of a 'scare tactics' thing to the rest of the internet community. If they could track down and be willing to prosecute a single mother who only downloaded a handful of songs, they'd have no problems doing the same to others who have done worse.

I feel sorry for that lady though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-10-05, 10:09 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I think it was more of a 'scare..."
Someone should start a charity to support victims of the RIAA's warpath - I'm thinking specifically of her kids.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-10-05, 10:57 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Someone should start a charity to..."
That jury must have been full of retards though. Nearly 10k in damages per song?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:47 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "That jury must have been full of..."
Yeah no shit, where'd they find the jury for that one?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:49 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah no shit, where'd they find the..."
It has something to do with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). From what I understand there is a minimum and maximum amount they could have charged her per song, the max being $150,000 and the minimum still being in the thousands. Even if the jury wanted to they could not make it $0.99 per song or whatever actually makes sense.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-10-06, 10:51 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah no shit, where'd they find the..."
I had a bit of fun in another thread about this on a different forum. I'll quote the pot before, and then mine:

---

Vladd67 said:
Only 24 were mentioned in the trial she appears to have uploaded over 1000 to share
Lenny said:
Oh noes! A full thousand!

I'm sorry, but even a thousand is nothing.

Let's say you get an average of 15 tracks on a CD, and a CD, when new, costs about £10.

If one person downloaded all of the 1000 tracks, then the music industry would be around £670 out of pocket.

For the industry to be £108,000 out of pocket, it needs 162 people, give or take, to download each of the 1000 songs - in other words, 162,000 songs need to be downloaded (which, out of plain interest would be the equivalent of about £749,250,000 in fines, if we take the figure that the defendant was fined).

Obviously there's going to be an error in my calculations (if anything, they might be a few million out... but when we're talking such big money, does the odd million even matter?).

Just another interesting fact to chew on - the global market for the music industry is estimated at between $30-$40 billion!

Sorry if I'm ranting a bit.
Apparently the RIAA mentioned 1,702 songs uploaded, but chose to focus on just 24.

Double pounds to get dollars.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-10-09, 12:27 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Someone should start a charity to..."
Hey, check it out. Someone is doing something.

http://www.freejammie.com/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-10-09, 12:29 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Hey, check it out. Someone is doing..."
Quote:
Sundance Says:

October 7th, 2007 at 11:03 am
Maybe I’m misguided or just plain stupid, but what is the difference between P2P and a public library? Aren’t they both sharing copyrighted work for free?
Awesome quote.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-09, 12:32 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Awesome quote."
It's not right, though. A public library doesn't copy books and hand them out to people for free. A public library allows you to borrow and then return a book.

Good example is if you let a friend borrow a CD and then they return it, rather than if you copy said CD and give it to your friend. They're both forms of sharing, in essence, but one of them is illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is all very dumb. I also think flawed logic used to argue for or against something is dumb, especially if it's someone arguing for something I agree with, because they're just hurting our case.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-09, 12:40 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's not right, though. A public..."
!King_Amazon! said:
It's not right, though. A public library doesn't copy books and hand them out to people for free. A public library allows you to borrow and then return a book.
Well true, the Publisher does the copying, but the information is still out there. It's not like ANYBODY is making money off of these downloaded songs, it's like having to pay for citing a book, same thing as downloading a single song off of a CD.

Quote:
Good example is if you let a friend borrow a CD and then they return it, rather than if you copy said CD and give it to your friend. They're both forms of sharing, in essence, but one of them is illegal.
Copywright laws are so ridiculous and conspicuous to every specific argument that it's impossible to copy anything at all share put on your computer, etc, without having a loophole that could possibly land you in some sort of trouble.

One argument that could be brought up about this is say I bought a System of a Down cd, and it got lost, stolen, destroyed, etc. So I go online, and download the full album as a replacement for the CD, should that be considered wrong or immmoral? No, but according to the law it is.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-09, 12:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well true, the Publisher does the..."
I'm going to end this argument before it starts and simply tell you that you are wrong. Comparing a library to P2P file sharing is flawed logic. While I disagree with P2P file sharing being illegal, that logic does not work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-09, 01:03 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm going to end this argument before..."
I didn't even say that was my logic, but an awesome quote. What they were saying is that the information is out there and is being shared, just because you have no basis and you have to quit, don't call me wrong.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-10-09, 06:19 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I didn't even say that was my logic,..."
I'm having a hard time phrasing this...

The difference between a public library and bootleg copies of something is that with a library, the artist is compensated and their work is able to be sampled, however the consumer would still have to pay for permanent access to the material in question.

Obviously, an illegal copy circumvents this by giving you permanent access to the material without having to pay for it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker