Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Should post count be removed? (Read thread and comment)
Yes 8 27.59%
No 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Post Count
Posted 2004-02-21, 04:29 PM
The purpose of Zelaron (in my opinion) is the progression of ideas, the spread of thought, and the discussion of important topics.

When Zelaron experienced the rollback recently, people were dissapointed. I understand this as I was dissapointed myself. I was not angry at anyone for the crash.

The only things I view as a loss are the ideas that were lost because of it. The discussions that were active before it happened are no longer present.

The main complaints, however, that I saw from other users was that their post count had gone down or their activity bar had receded.

Quote:
Medi3valBob: The post count should be a reflection of how much contribution to discussion a person has made. If someone makes a post strictly to gain a point on their post count, then the entire purpose (in my opinion) of this website has been disregarded.

Zelaron: I agree completely
Guess what I saw right after the rollback...

I move that post count should be removed completely. I'm also adverse to the activity bar, but this thread isn't concerning that. What do you think the post count is good for?

The members here know who has been here and who hasn't. We know who is active. We know who has contributed with good posts and who has spammed. What do we need a post count for?
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-21, 04:33 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Post Count"
It isn't hurting anyone being there. Big deal if they complained about lost post count.

Also, you say the people here know who has been around and such. That may be true, but what about new members?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-02-21, 04:39 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Post Count"
It's funny, members were more worried about a number then the acually threads being lost. I don't hear anyone saying. "Man, i made a really helpfull thread, and now it's gone". I here, in my own words: "Man, i lost a stupid little number".

If it was gone, i wouldn't care much at all. I've been here for about 1yr 1/2 now, and i broke the 1000 mark like 6 months ago. That should show what i care about a number.

I also don't think they will get rid of it, seeing that WetWired created a nice little hack to use images as the numbers, instead of using text. So i don't see it going anywhere, anytime soon.

And if they used cron jobs, this would have never happened.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 04:41 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It isn't hurting anyone being there. ..."
!King_Amazon! said:
It isn't hurting anyone being there. Big deal if they complained about lost post count.

Also, you say the people here know who has been around and such. That may be true, but what about new members?
Like he said tho, people do make threads/posts just to get the count up. I have to filter threw all those just to find a good thread/post to reply to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-21, 04:42 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "It's funny, members were more worried..."
LW, you don't like it, but because you think they won't remove it, you voted no?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-21, 04:42 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "LW, you don't like it, but because you..."
I think they should just leave it alone. It won't slove anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 05:33 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I think they should just leave it..."
I voted no, just because there are too many underlying issues that people will get all disgruntled about, and possibly leave for. I myself have been an avid supporter of getting rid of post count in the past, and now I just see the complete uselessness of even attempting this issue. Not because it won't happen, but because post count, for most people, at one time or another was probably a big reason for wanting to stick around.

Just because we've (Members of like 50% Longevity, give or take an arbitrary %) gotten over the "Oh my God, I want to get my post count high high high!!!" stage of Zelaron, doesn't mean that everyone else has, or that new members will.

I should close this, for it has been discussed numerous amounts of time in the public, amongst Staff, and amongst Admins, but I won't because these topic do bring up interesting points every once in a while, could spark new ideas, and reinvigorate certain issues members have.

Continue on all...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-21, 05:35 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I voted no, just because there are too..."
I'm with titusfied on this one...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 05:44 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I'm with titusfied on this one..."
I vote no.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-02-21, 05:47 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I voted no, just because there are too..."
The previous discussion of a topic is no reason to close a thread of the same topic. I am not copying a thread, nor do I care what was decided in the past.

As I see it, people wanting to get a high post count is no reason to have post count around. Posting simply to get a number up is a waste of posts. If someone has an idea they wish to share, it should not matter if it raises their number by one, deletes it, or turns it blue for all the logic I can throw at it.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-21, 05:53 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "The previous discussion of a topic is..."
You just don't understand do you? Yes, initially people tend to care about post count. Yes, they may make bad threads and posts in the beginning. What you fail to comprehend is that not everyone here has been around as long as a lot of the members. Sure, they may be annoying at first, but eventually turn into a quality member. Isn't that worth it in the end? I think that is more than enough reason to keep post count.

Again, nothing you could possibly say, or even have up to this point is an original idea. This topic has been discussed verbatim way to many times, but for arguments sake, it will stay to get others inputs.

Activity is simply an indicator of how often you visit and show interest at Zelaron. That isn't harming anyone, its just a gauge on member's activity, obviously. So why should that be taken away as well?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-21, 06:06 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "It's funny, members were more worried..."
LiveWire said:
And if they used cron jobs, this would have never happened.
We do use cron jobs to back up the databases. The incident happened because our web host was installing a control panel for the server, and he backed up all the files on the site plus the wrong database (zelaron), when the real database (zelaron_test) was not backed up. The daily backups were deleted, and restoring the board from an incorrect database obviously didn't work. Now, the backup I had on my hard drive was 9 days old... Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, I do not think the post count should be removed, we simply need a way to make users care less about keeping it high. It's just a number. I have some ideas in mind to get users to post for other reasons than keeping their post count high. For instance, it would be possible to check the length of every user's post and determine an average post length value, but that would likely just hamper the board activity, as you'd either have to post something long and useful, or get your average lowered to 10 characters per post and officially be declared a "foolish spammer". Setting a trend for book-length posts isn't good.

However, with some new board features coming up soon (such as zajako's RPG hack, which is getting really nice with random monster battles and everything), users gain gold to purchase items for every post and new thread they make. New threads, which normally require some innovativity to be made, let users gain a lot more gold than when making a simple reply. Well, it's just one example of how a board modification could alter the urge for a high post count and get users to post more interesting threads instead.

Other ideas include a download section with the latest game demos, patches and files, which may only be accessible by active users who visit the board often.

I'd be very happy to hear ANY ideas about getting the post counter to become less important.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2004-02-21 at 06:11 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-02-21, 06:10 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "You just don't understand do you? Yes,..."
I think post count should stay bcus it signify's seniority and participation which lets new members know who is the most knowlegable about the forum or most participant member in zelaron so that they can ask them for information and/or get a different perception on there replies/posts. Of course if ppl abuse Zelaron w/ spam and useless garbage, then they should be punished
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MarkiX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMarkiX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MarkiX

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:07 PM in reply to MarkiX's post starting "I think post count should stay bcus it..."
MarkiX said:
I think post count should stay bcus it signify's seniority and participation which lets new members know who is the most knowlegable about the forum or most participant member in zelaron so that they can ask them for information and/or get a different perception on there replies/posts. Of course if ppl abuse Zelaron w/ spam and useless garbage, then they should be punished
Thats what the activity, longevity, & Member icons are all about, right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:07 PM in reply to MarkiX's post starting "I think post count should stay bcus it..."
MarkiX said:
Yes but people can spam and become so called "seniors" over people who been here for a long time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:16 PM in reply to Acer's post starting "Yes but people can spam and become so..."
I voted Yes but I meant no. Don't think I love post counts or anything, but they're just a part of EVERY forum I've been in. It is something you naturally assoiciate with forums.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:25 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "I voted Yes but I meant no. Don't think..."
Kuja`s #1 said:
I voted Yes but I meant no. Don't think I love post counts or anything, but they're just a part of EVERY forum I've been in. It is something you naturally assoiciate with forums.
Being diffrent is the key!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:44 PM in reply to MarkiX's post starting "I think post count should stay bcus it..."
i would have to say that post cout is not a big concern of mine and neither is the activity bar because i mean i found it interesting at first with the activity bar and i know that personally it cause me to make some "spam" post that i would not have normally made but i realized that what i was doing was not helpful. i mean i have been here a while and do not usually post unless i have something help or insight full to say, or if i need help with a problem and then i get tire of people either bring a thread that i am looking for help off topic or just filling it full of spam. so overall i have personally realized that activity and post cout dont matter to me becaue i find it slightly strange that anyone should have 100% or close to it activity it makes me wonder if they have no life outside of zelaron because i mean face it most people cannot be at or near a computer 365 days a year just to visit a site and make atleast 4 posts.

also as a side note i liked how on the old version of the forum you got a title for somany posts. this was an interest to me because i just wanted to see what the next title i got was. i know that you could change it if you wanted but i always left it the way it was because i kind of thought of it as a ranking system which was cool.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.

Last edited by tidus2005; 2004-02-21 at 07:53 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-02-21, 07:57 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "It's funny, members were more worried..."
I don't care about a stupid little hack to use images instead of numbers. While I hold that postcount has some amount of usefulness, I have absolutely no objection to getting rid of it, if the proposition has enough support.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-02-21, 08:03 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't care about a stupid little hack..."
Yes
Acer, Kuja`s #1, Medieval Bob, WetWired 4 33.33%
No
!King_Amazon!, Chruser, HandOfHeaven, LiveWire, MarkiX, mjordan2nd, Penguin, Titusfied 8 66.67%
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!