Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Anybody read any good books lately?
Posted 2007-07-08, 07:26 PM
Just finished Deadeye Dick (Kurt Vonnegut) and am almost done with Neuromancer (William Gibson).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-08, 07:53 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post "Anybody read any good books lately?"
Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favorite fiction writer ever. Him or Orson Scott Card, although they're stylistically very different. My favorite Vonnegut book would have to be Cat's Cradle. If you haven't read that one, I'd suggest checking it out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-08, 09:01 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favorite..."
Actually, I was just thinking about reading CC again. I read it a few years back, and don't remember it all that well. I usually go with the standard Slaughterhouse Five as my favorite Vonnegut.

Oh, and the (original) Ender trilogy was fantastic. I've heard the other books in the series were great also, but I haven't gotten around to reading them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-09, 02:03 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post "Anybody read any good books lately?"
Vault Dweller said:
Just finished Deadeye Dick (Kurt Vonnegut) and am almost done with Neuromancer (William Gibson).
I just finished Deadeye Dick, too! I read Bluebeard right after it and then I immediately read Naked Lunch (William Burroughs). Both I can recommend although they are very different. Naked Lunch is pretty crazy and you may not want to read it in one chunk like a normal book. And if you like Beat stuff Dharma Bums and Desolation Angels are very good (both Jack Kerouac).

Il papa caca nei legno?

Last edited by RoboticSilence; 2007-07-09 at 02:07 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-09, 02:13 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I just finished Deadeye Dick, too! I..."
I've been reading (off and on) A Place in Space, which is a collection of essays by Gary Snyder. His poetry has somewhat of a beat feel to it, but the essays seem to be mostly writing theory and zen philosophy. It's an interesting book, but rather heavy-handed sometimes. I do recommend his poetry, though.

I was actually planning on picking up Bluebeard tomorrow. Weird.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-09, 07:51 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Actually, I was just thinking about..."
Vault Dweller said:
Oh, and the (original) Ender trilogy was fantastic. I've heard the other books in the series were great also, but I haven't gotten around to reading them.
Definitely get around to read them. You'll be very pleased. Bean is a badass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-09, 11:12 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I've been reading (off and on) A Place..."
Vault Dweller said:
I've been reading (off and on) A Place in Space, which is a collection of essays by Gary Snyder. His poetry has somewhat of a beat feel to it, but the essays seem to be mostly writing theory and zen philosophy. It's an interesting book, but rather heavy-handed sometimes. I do recommend his poetry, though.

Gary Snyder was a friend of Jack Kerouac and is actually a major character in Dharma Bums named Japhy Ryder.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-09, 03:17 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Gary Snyder was a friend of Jack..."
I'm personally on a David Baldacci kick right now. I like his style of writing. Although, I'm currently in the middle of reading Red Mutiny, the story behind the 1905 Russian mutiny that took place on the Battleship Putemkin (Sp?) and sparked the Russian Revolution. It's like a history lesson written like a good fiction book.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-07-09, 08:12 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I've been reading (off and on) A Place..."
Vault Dweller said:

I just finished a Place in Space a few weeks ago. My philosophy teacher recommended it to me and i actually bought it. It was very interesting and was actually a quick read for me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-07-09, 08:26 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "I just finished a Place in Space a few..."
I really enjoyed "Smokey the Bear Sutra." Funny, yet at the same time, quite relevant.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-16, 08:03 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I really enjoyed "Smokey the Bear..."
Just finished The Sirens of Titan and started Slapstick (yes, more Vonnegut). Also picked up Ender's Shadow and a book of short stories by Hemmingway while at B&N.

By the way, I strongly recommend The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z (both by Max Brooks) for anyone interested in surviving the zombie apocolypse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-16, 08:21 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Just finished The Sirens of Titan and..."
Vault Dweller said:
By the way, I strongly recommend The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z (both by Max Brooks) for anyone interested in surviving the zombie apocolypse.
Now THAT sounds amusing. I'll have to check the library.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-16, 08:44 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Now THAT sounds amusing. I'll have to..."
Best survival guide I've ever read. Seriously.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-17, 08:13 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Best survival guide I've ever read. ..."
So it's humorous?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-17, 09:42 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "So it's humorous?"
Not directly, though most stores classify it in the humor section. I think that's because most people don't believe that a zombie outbreak could actually happen. If one were to, however, people who've read this book would be much less likely to die in a variety of horrible zombie and non-zombie related ways. It's a survival manual.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-17, 09:51 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Not directly, though most stores..."
lol, it sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check it out. I went to Borders yesterday because I'm in need of something to keep me busy at work/lunch, and I ended up getting "The Bourne Legacy" I've seen the movies, and I'm planning on seeing Ultimatum so I didn't want to get any of those and then this caught my eye. But, apparently, it doesn't tie in with the storyline of the trilogy. Go figure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-17, 10:20 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "lol, it sounds pretty interesting, I'll..."
That's odd. Let me know how it is. I've been considering reading some Robert Ludlum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-17, 03:51 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "That's odd. Let me know how it is. ..."
K_A just read the harry potter spoilers I PMed him. I bet it was good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-07-18, 08:06 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "K_A just read the harry potter spoilers..."
HAHAHAHAHA. He's crying himself to sleep now, I hear.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-18, 01:38 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post "Anybody read any good books lately?"
Read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles recently. That was nice.

But that's a graphic novel. THe last real book I read was I Hope They Serve Beern in Hell by Tucker Max. It was about 2 months ago and was pretty funny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign