Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-04-07, 06:22 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Does anyone get the context of this..."
Nope, but in reply I am going to say that Religion held Science and Technology back big time... which I doubt many are going to disagree with.

In fact, this calls for a new thread!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-06-28, 02:34 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "People are human. We aren't given a..."
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
People are human. We aren't given a choice in that matter, nor can we change it.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Religious people are as likely to commit a crime as secular people. In fact, religion often drives people to commit crimes. Furthermore, a lack of belief in god does not imply a lack of morality. I consider myself be as moral of a person as religious people, however I get to pick and choose my morals based on observation rather than having them told to me from a book.

Again, there is no reason a moral society can't exist without god.
I disagree Highly with the first one. I've dedicated my life to becoming a Humain Angel. Yes, yes, I'm completely crazy, sure.

I also disagree with the third one. I'd probably start a cult or something, leading to religions...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-05, 09:48 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I disagree Highly with the first one...."
Actually if the world had no religion it would be unable to come back. People would not even have thoughts of worshipping anything. Thus his third statement is rather solid. Even makes tons of sense linguistically. Can't shoot him down...

But you are also right in the sense that eventually some whackjob will start another religion except that without books telling them what to worship they may end up worshipping the all mighty twinky.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2008-07-06, 07:14 PM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Actually if the world had no religion..."
Still, in the end, Religion has saved alot of people who's lives seem almost worthless (Or they just plain suck at it.)
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-07, 09:06 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I disagree Highly with the first one...."
Skurai said: [Goto]
I disagree Highly with the first one. I've dedicated my life to becoming a Humain Angel. Yes, yes, I'm completely crazy, sure.

I also disagree with the third one. I'd probably start a cult or something, leading to religions...

Damn, I miss MJ. I can only imagine his rebuttal to this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-07-09, 03:08 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Damn, I miss MJ. I can only imagine..."
I tried VD. I tried but I am no where near as well versed as MJ...
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2008-07-09, 03:31 PM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Actually if the world had no religion..."
hotdog said: [Goto]
Actually if the world had no religion it would be unable to come back. People would not even have thoughts of worshipping anything. Thus his third statement is rather solid. Even makes tons of sense linguistically. Can't shoot him down...
That most likely isn't true. There was a point when the world had no religion, and then someone used religion to explain what they didn't understand (lightning, rain, whatever.)

The only way I could see religion ever being gone completely is if humans were to explain and understand everything there is to know. As long as there are unknowns, people will explain them with religion. It's the easy way out, basically, rather than trying to figure out what is true.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-09, 03:32 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Still, in the end, Religion has saved..."
Still, in the end, Religion has saved alot of people who's lives seem almost worthless (Or they just plain suck at it.)
And just the same, it has probably caused the deaths of the same number of people a hundred times over. Just think about how many wars have been fought in the name of religion, and how many whack-os there have been that strove to kill anyone and everyone that was not of their religion.

I don't deny that religion does good, but it does so much more bad that it's not worth having around.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-09, 03:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "And just the same, it has probably..."
I think religion is just as moot as anything else when it comes to the blame game though. Think about it. Anything you do is because YOU want to do it. No matter what is out there people will always wish to blame something for their problems instead of facing it head on. Evil people (Evil Doers to Reps) will always commit evil acts and if it serves them they will use whatever they can to gain an advantage whether it be twinkies or religion.
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

hotdog

Posted 2008-07-09, 08:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That most likely isn't true. There was..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
That most likely isn't true. There was a point when the world had no religion, and then someone used religion to explain what they didn't understand (lightning, rain, whatever.)

The only way I could see religion ever being gone completely is if humans were to explain and understand everything there is to know. As long as there are unknowns, people will explain them with religion. It's the easy way out, basically, rather than trying to figure out what is true.
My Girl Friends just says " A Wizard did it. " when she doesn't have an explaination...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-09, 08:35 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "My Girl Friends just says " A Wizard..."
That sounds rational.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-09, 08:41 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That sounds rational."
That sounds rational.
Yup. All the Video Games have rotted her mind the in the most beautiful way!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-10, 04:20 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Yup. All the Video Games have rotted..."
Yup. All the Video Games have rotted her mind the in the most beautiful way!
I suggest you get her pregnant immediately. She's a keeper.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-07-10, 08:17 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I suggest you get her pregnant..."
Isn't this guy like 14? Wait until you're at least 16 to get her pregnant. That's the most responsible age.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-07-10, 09:10 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Isn't this guy like 14? Wait until..."
14 is the new 16.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-10, 08:59 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I suggest you get her pregnant..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
I suggest you get her pregnant immediately. She's a keeper.
Lol!

Umm...

"Thanks, you guys"...?

Lol, wow, you people are crazy, But uhh... I'm thinkin' 17 at least.

lol, wow though.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-10, 11:02 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Lol! :grin: Umm... "Thanks, you..."
Without reading pages of garbage I feel this.

If you have a problem with the masses being brainwashed, and are to the point of picking fights and trying to explain to them why they are wrong, then you are just as bad. Religion isn't entirely horrible, just look as the Amish.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hancock is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHancock is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hancock

Posted 2008-07-11, 09:32 AM in reply to Hancock's post starting "Without reading pages of garbage I feel..."
Hancock said: [Goto]
Without reading pages of garbage I feel this.

If you have a problem with the masses being brainwashed, and are to the point of picking fights and trying to explain to them why they are wrong, then you are just as bad. Religion isn't entirely horrible, just look as the Amish.
Right.
I don't think half the people here said they were Horrible... infact, it seems like most were defending the Idea... a little...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2008-07-11, 10:51 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Right. I don't think half the people..."
Right.
I don't think half the people here said they were Horrible... infact, it seems like most were defending the Idea... a little...
I don't think Religion itself is necessarily so bad, I just think it spawns a lot of bad. When different religions start to fight, bad shit happens.

To me, Religion is simply willing ignorance. People choose to explain things with magical thinking rather than attempt to find out what is true. While I think ignorance is a horrible thing, I also don't think I have any right to tell someone they should stop being ignorant.

So basically, as far as that goes, if people want to be ignorant, I don't care. I'm, in general, a "live and let live" sort of person. I'll believe what I will, you believe what you want to. As long as it stays at that, there's no problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-11, 11:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "14 is the new 16."
14 is the new 16.
How horribly behind you are in the times. Recent data has shown boys of 11 getting girls in the same age group (11-13 Middle School Group) pregnant. Sheesh don't you know being a parent ASAP is everyone's dream these days old man?

That is exactly what I was saying though back on topic. Religion can be used much easier than most things since it's a way to willingly get the masses to do as you please. Look at King Harald Hadrada. He used Christianity to control as many of the Vikings as possible and unite them under his command.

Anything can be used to reach your ends. Religion is just easier to do it with.
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

hotdog