Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Principia Mathematica

Post i suck at trigonometry.
Posted 2009-04-17, 03:29 PM
So much for my dreams at being a fucking engineer.

Oh well, i could always be an english teacher. Requierments on puertorico aren't THAT high to be exact.

So any ways, i have bitch ass trigonometry homework.

And due to certain cases, my math skillz droped to that of a 7th grader.

so i'm here for help <3

i need the answers to well. all of them : ( this is part on, the shortest one.
I have afterwards 4 more parts made up of 20+ questions, so i'd find it a huge help if you'd help me with part 1 >.> the easiest one.

i'll be using * as my mark for degrees later on, sorry about that.

NOTE, i have 2 weeks to finish : ( it's worth a whole damn grade >.>

so anyways.

1. using exact values, verify that cos 60 (degrees) = 1 - 2 sin (root) 30 (degrees)

2. using exact values, find the value of:

A. 12 sin 30(degrees) - 6 tan 45 (degrees) + sec 45(degrees)/52

B. sin 2A+tan 3A/2 - cos A + sec (A+15 degrees), when A=30 ( degrees)

3. write the other functions of x if cos x= 3/5

4. In a right triangle sin A= 3/4 and C= 17. find A and B.

Be sure to draw a right triangle and letter it properly.

5. Find the following functions correct to five decimal places:

A. sin 22* 43'
B. cos 44* 56'
C. sin 49* 17'
D. tan 11* 37'
E. sin 79* 23' 30''
F. cot 19* 0' 25''
G. tan 64* 6' 45''
H. cos 29* 45' 48''
I. cot 78* 45' 48''
J. cos 15* 12' 51''

6. Find the acute angle A to the nearest second when.

A. sin A= 0.30985
B. cot A= 0.52613
C. cos A= 0.77273
D. tan A= 6.63831
E. sin A= 0.10655
F. cos A= 0.55570
G. sin A= 0.92112
H. tan A= 0.13476
I. cot A= 0.32323
J. cos A= 0.75273

7. The vertex angle of an isosceles triangle is 57* 24' and each o fit's equal sides is 375.5 ft long. Find the altitude of the triangle

8. Solve the follow right triangles:

A. a=117 ft, b= 16.35 ft
B. b=8* 29', a= 32.8 FT

9. A man standing on top of a building sees an automobile on a street below him. The angle of depression is 36* 22'. If his eye is 550 ft above the level of the automobile, how far is the automobile from him?

10. when the sun's angle of elevation is 30* the shadow of a post is 6 ft longer than when the angle is 45*. find the height of the post.

11. In a right triangle, given a=32.8 FT and A= 28* 30' 15''.
solve for B and C.

That's part 1. part 2-5 i'll answer my self ( i hope )

parts 2-5 include 20-45 questions per part.......oh lord.

So i'd be beyond grateful if you would help me with part 1 : (
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2009-04-17, 03:59 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "i suck at trigonometry."
They teach things a lot differently over the pond!

I'll have a look at them tomorrow - no promises, mind. It's been years since I did anything like that, so I may give up and do something else.

If I do manage to get any, then I won't just give you the answers. Rather, I'll show my working for a couple, and leave the rest to you - you need to learn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-04-17, 05:22 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "i suck at trigonometry."
Solution: the answer is trivial.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-04-17, 05:56 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Solution: the answer is trivial."
1. Eat spinach
2. Instantly grow ridiculously sized forearms
3. ?????
4. Profit!

All problems fixed, kyeruu. Now go get that engineering job tiger!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-04-17, 08:00 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "1. Eat spinach 2. Instantly grow..."
There is this really neat thing out there called a calculator. Get yourself one.

Just because I am bored though, I am going to work on the first one tomorrow.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-04-17, 09:59 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Solution: the answer is trivial."
Grav said: [Goto]
Solution: the answer is trivial.

Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh.

Also,
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-04-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-04-20, 09:34 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "i suck at trigonometry."
kyeruu said: [Goto]
So much for my dreams at being a fucking engineer.

Oh well, i could always be an english teacher. Requierments on puertorico aren't THAT high to be exact.

So any ways, i have bitch ass trigonometry homework.

And due to certain cases, my math skillz droped to that of a 7th grader.

so i'm here for help <3

i need the answers to well. all of them : ( this is part on, the shortest one.
I have afterwards 4 more parts made up of 20+ questions, so i'd find it a huge help if you'd help me with part 1 >.> the easiest one.

i'll be using * as my mark for degrees later on, sorry about that.

NOTE, i have 2 weeks to finish : ( it's worth a whole damn grade >.>

so anyways.

1. using exact values, verify that cos 60 (degrees) = 1 - 2 sin (root) 30 (degrees)

2. using exact values, find the value of:

A. 12 sin 30(degrees) - 6 tan 45 (degrees) + sec 45(degrees)/52

B. sin 2A+tan 3A/2 - cos A + sec (A+15 degrees), when A=30 ( degrees)

3. write the other functions of x if cos x= 3/5

4. In a right triangle sin A= 3/4 and C= 17. find A and B.

Be sure to draw a right triangle and letter it properly.

5. Find the following functions correct to five decimal places:

A. sin 22* 43'
B. cos 44* 56'
C. sin 49* 17'
D. tan 11* 37'
E. sin 79* 23' 30''
F. cot 19* 0' 25''
G. tan 64* 6' 45''
H. cos 29* 45' 48''
I. cot 78* 45' 48''
J. cos 15* 12' 51''

6. Find the acute angle A to the nearest second when.

A. sin A= 0.30985
B. cot A= 0.52613
C. cos A= 0.77273
D. tan A= 6.63831
E. sin A= 0.10655
F. cos A= 0.55570
G. sin A= 0.92112
H. tan A= 0.13476
I. cot A= 0.32323
J. cos A= 0.75273

7. The vertex angle of an isosceles triangle is 57* 24' and each o fit's equal sides is 375.5 ft long. Find the altitude of the triangle

8. Solve the follow right triangles:

A. a=117 ft, b= 16.35 ft
B. b=8* 29', a= 32.8 FT

9. A man standing on top of a building sees an automobile on a street below him. The angle of depression is 36* 22'. If his eye is 550 ft above the level of the automobile, how far is the automobile from him?

10. when the sun's angle of elevation is 30* the shadow of a post is 6 ft longer than when the angle is 45*. find the height of the post.

11. In a right triangle, given a=32.8 FT and A= 28* 30' 15''.
solve for B and C.

That's part 1. part 2-5 i'll answer my self ( i hope )

parts 2-5 include 20-45 questions per part.......oh lord.

So i'd be beyond grateful if you would help me with part 1 : (
I just gave up my dream at being anything better then a Mc Donalds worker.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-22, 04:23 PM in reply to kyeruu's post "i suck at trigonometry."
I wouldn't throw my dream away, and I'm sure you haven't but I'll just let you know I'm in college now and I'm a second year ME student, and stuff like that you don't do by hand. I'm not saying to slack off, because learning how to do it now by hand builds fundamentals, I'm just saying I wouldn't sweat it too much. At this level, we aren't expected to remember trig identities, or even some of the most basic integrals - we have tables for all of that. As far as exact angles and such - calculators.

I would say the most important thing you can take away from trigonometry for wanting to be an engineer is the basic concept of it, because you will be working with a lot of complex geometry and trigonometry later on down the road.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2009-04-22, 07:53 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I wouldn't throw my dream away, and I'm..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
I wouldn't throw my dream away, and I'm sure you haven't but I'll just let you know I'm in college now and I'm a second year ME student, and stuff like that you don't do by hand. I'm not saying to slack off, because learning how to do it now by hand builds fundamentals, I'm just saying I wouldn't sweat it too much. At this level, we aren't expected to remember trig identities, or even some of the most basic integrals - we have tables for all of that. As far as exact angles and such - calculators.

I would say the most important thing you can take away from trigonometry for wanting to be an engineer is the basic concept of it, because you will be working with a lot of complex geometry and trigonometry later on down the road.
Exact angle? That's easy, dude, 90 degrees.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-04-29, 11:10 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Exact angle? That's easy, dude, 90..."
funny thing, teacher told me i need to write down process, so i can't calculator my way to correct answers anymore, fuckkkkkk
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2009-04-30, 08:02 AM in reply to kyeruu's post starting "funny thing, teacher told me i need to..."
kyeruu said: [Goto]
funny thing, teacher told me i need to write down process, so i can't calculator my way to correct answers anymore, fuckkkkkk
I wasn't talking about this homework set but rather I was trying to give you some comfort for the future. What you've got is pretty easy anyways... all you have to do is memorize the unit circle and you've got it.

cos(60) = 1 - 2sin^2(30) // I'm assuming you meant sin^2 here

Well the cos(60) from the unit circle is 1/2, the sin(30) is also 1/2
1/2 = 1 - 2*(1/2)^2
1/2 = 1/2

or the one with cos(x) = 3/5
Since cosine is equal to adjacent/hypotenuse
adjacent = 3
hyp = 5
Applying pythagoream's theorem to a right triangle you get opposite to be 4
So the sin(x) = opposite/hyp = 4/5
tan(x) = opposite/adjacent = 4/3

The whole adj, hyp, and opp things you will just have to remember and later on down the road it becomes second nature

Cosine(theta) = adj/hyp = x/hyp
Sine(theta) = opp/hyp = y/hyp
Tangent(theta) = opp/adj = y/x

Since the sec, csc, and cot functions are just the inverse of their counterparts(and trust me rarely used except in computations), then you just invert the above fractions for their values... but really the easier way to think about it is sec(theta) = 1/cos(theta), and just let the algebra work it out.

So if you want the sec(60), then just take 1/cos(60) = 1/0.5 = 2
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2009-04-30, 08:10 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I wasn't talking about this homework..."
You've really progressed since the Army days eh?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-04-30, 08:54 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "You've really progressed since the Army..."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
You've really progressed since the Army days eh?
Lol I knew all that stuff in the army days, the army's just not interested in it. But I've learned, and I quote, a 'shitload' in my two years of college.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

S2 AM

Posted 2009-04-30, 10:43 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Lol I knew all that stuff in the army..."
What school? Is the army paying?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-04-30, 10:47 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I wasn't talking about this homework..."
Trig's pretty easy if you're in the class, but I can't remember a lot of it. I haven't had it in like 3 years at least.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-04-30, 12:14 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "What school? Is the army paying?"
Grav said: [Goto]
What school? Is the army paying?
VA Tech. Yes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-16, 08:04 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I wasn't talking about this homework..."
Bump! If they actually want you to find exact trigonometric values to n decimal places of "unit circle unfriendly" angles without a calculator, look into taylor series and fourier series. They converge fairly quickly, but it will still probably take, say, 5-10 minutes of number crunching for 5 decimal places even if you're fairly fast.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-06-16 at 08:07 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-06-16, 08:07 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Bump! If they actually want you to find..."
Or use WolframAlpha to do all your homework.

http://www34.wolframalpha.com/input/...45(degrees)/52
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-16, 03:30 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "VA Tech. Yes."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
VA Tech. Yes.
Cool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav