Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

View Poll Results: Do you think spicy foods increase metabolism significantly?
They increase metabolism, but not enough to matter 3 27.27%
They increase metabolism, and could help keep it high 6 54.55%
They do not increase metabolism 0 0%
I don't know 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Do spicy foods increase metabolism significantly?
Posted 2008-01-11, 03:29 PM
I heard that eating spicy foods (ex. peppers) would somewhat increase you're metabolism about a year or so ago. Since then I've done a bit of research and found that they do by increasing body temperature and other things I can't exactly remember..

So what is you're opinion? If you are over-weight, or just want to keep your metabolism going, do you think spicy foods are a good source (In combination with a healthy diet and exercise of course)?

Here's what one website said:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health...lthrail30.html

Quote:
Reality Check: Do spicy foods increase metabolism?

THE CLAIM

Spicy foods increase metabolism.

THE FACTS

Is it true, as has long been held, that spicy foods not only heat you up but also speed the metabolism?

Over the years, various studies have examined the claim and suggested that certain spices can increase metabolic rate by raising body temperature, though to what extent and for how long is unclear. Capsaicin, the compound that gives chile peppers their powerful kick, creates the largest bump in heat generation, which helps burn more calories immediately after a meal. Black pepper and ginger have similar effects.

Generally, studies have shown that on average a meal containing a spicy dish, such as a bowl of chili, can temporarily increase metabolism by about 8 percent over a person's normal rate, an amount considered fairly negligible. But besides a slight uptick in metabolism, spicy foods also may increase feelings of satiety.

One study by Canadian researchers this year looked at a group of adult men and found that those who were served hot sauce with appetizers before a meal went on to consume on average about 200 fewer calories at lunch and in later meals than their peers who did not have anything with capsaicin. The researchers suggested that capsaicin might work as an appetite suppressant. But take heed: Spicy foods also can worsen symptoms of ulcers and heartburn.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Research suggests that spicy foods can increase metabolism, though only to a minor extent.

If anyone else wants to do some research on this topic also would be beneficial... *Looks at Mj*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-01-11, 08:21 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Do spicy foods increase metabolism..."
I only looked briefly, but from what I've read studies suggest that it does, but only slightly. I found you some studies. Look over the abstracts. If you'd like to read them, I can probably get you a PDF from the online university library. Let me know.

Effect of spiced food on metabolic rate. Human Nutrition - Clinical Nutrition. 1986 Mar;40(2):165-8.

Metabolic effects of spices, teas, and caffeine. Physiology & behavior. 2006 Aug 30;89(1):85-91. Epub 2006 Mar 30.

Bioactive food stimulants of sympathetic activity: effect on 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005 Jun;59(6):733-41.

Body fat loss achieved by stimulation of thermogenesis by a combination of bioactive food ingredients: a placebo-controlled, double-blind 8-week intervention in obese subjects. International Journal of Obesity. 2007 Jan;31(1):121-30. Epub 2006 Apr 25.

Hope these help.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-01-12, 08:26 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I only looked briefly, but from what..."
Nothing beats life experience.

My mom made extremely spicy food tonight, and everyone went red in the face, started sweating a tad, and got runny noses. (Save for me of course - I don't sweat.)

Metabolism was indeed mentioned, ironically. Funny how these things come up at dinner without having read the same thing on a forum in your bookmarks presented a day earlier.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-12, 10:32 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Nothing beats life experience. My..."
And that is ironic how, exactly?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-01-13, 10:19 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "And that is ironic how, exactly?"
Irony: "incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result"

I wasn't expecting it to be on Zelaron when it came up in real life, do I really need to explain it? Normally topics which I take part in within real life aren't spoken of online without being brought up by myself unless it is a popular topic such as politics or religion, and even then it's not often within a day of the discussion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-14, 09:09 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Irony: "incongruity between the actual..."
Grav got owned.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos