Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Emoticons in the Chatbox?
Yes - "Old" Zelaron Emoticons 0 0%
Yes - "New" Lenny Emoticons 8 61.54%
No - Keep them as text 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Emoticons in the Chatbox
Posted 2008-04-08, 07:04 PM
Rather than let this drown in another thread, I'm making a brand new one, with a poll and everything!

It's not uncommon that you'll see people using "", or "=D" or even "D:" in the Chatbox. It breaks my little birdy heart to see emoticons being typed, but left in text form. And so, I ask this - would it be possible to use emoticon images in the chatbox, and if so, who would like it?

Now, I've been doing a bit of measuring, and I've found that each line in the Chatbox is 10 pixels high, whilst the forum emoticons are 15 pixels high. If those are used, I believe it will force the line higher, leaving blank space to either side of itself.

So, I opened up Fireworks, and I set to work making my own 10px by 10px emoticons, based on the default ones that show up next to the post box when replying/making a new thread (old, mine, description):

Edit: 
If these look too... strange, then I'll happily redo them to other specifications. The ones below were quick thirty second jobbies. Haven't turned out too badly, actually.

--> = smile
--> = wink
--> = kill-grin
--> = big-grin
--> = sad
--> = angry
--> = shocked
--> = weird
--> = amused
--> = rolleyes

Also (picture, description):

= question mark
= exclamation mark
= english flag
= swedish flag
= american flag

---

The poll options speak for themselves. I've added two variations of "Yes" (w/ old emoticons and w/ new emoticons) because some people might not care about the lines being forced higher. If there's a more or less equal number of votes for the two "Yes" options, then would it be possible to make the option with more votes the default (i.e., the emoticon that pops up when you type in the text equivalent), with maybe a drop down box next to the post textbox with them all in?

EDIT: If people want to look at bigger versions, please ask, and I'll put together a sheet of them all at three or four times the size.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-04-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-08, 07:06 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Emoticons in the Chatbox"
Lenny said:
Rather than let this drown in another thread, I'm making a brand new one, with a poll and everything!

It's not uncommon that you'll see people using "", or "=D" or even "D:" in the Chatbox. It breaks my little birdy heart to see emoticons being typed, but left in text form. And so, I ask this - would it be possible to use emoticon images in the chatbox, and if so, who would like it?

Now, I've been doing a bit of measuring, and I've found that each line in the Chatbox is 10 pixels high, whilst the forum emoticons are 15 pixels high. If those are used, I believe it will force the line higher, leaving blank space to either side of itself.

So, I opened up Fireworks, and I set to work making my own 10px by 10px emoticons, based on the default ones that show up next to the post box when replying/making a new thread (old, mine, description):

--> = smile
--> = wink
--> = kill-grin
--> = big-grin
--> = sad
--> = angry
--> = shocked
--> = weird
--> = amused
--> = rolleyes

Also (picture, description):

= question mark
= exclamation mark
= english flag
= swedish flag
= american flag

---

The poll options speak for themselves. I've added two variations of "Yes" (w/ old emoticons and w/ new emoticons) because some people might not care about the lines being forced higher. If there's a more or less equal number of votes for the two "Yes" options, then would it be possible to make the option with more votes the default (i.e., the emoticon that pops up when you type in the text equivalent), with maybe a drop down box next to the post textbox with them all in?

EDIT: If people want to look at bigger versions, please ask, and I'll put together a sheet of them all at three or four times the size.
Um... No
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2008-04-08, 07:08 PM in reply to Randuin's post starting "Um... No"
None at all? Why not?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-08, 08:56 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Emoticons in the Chatbox"
The line size is variable, and IRC -- I mean chatbox -- emoticons are retarded.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-08, 10:19 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The line size is variable, and IRC -- I..."
WetWired said:
The line size is variable, and IRC -- I mean chatbox -- emoticons are retarded.
Yeah pretty much
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2008-04-08, 10:58 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Emoticons in the Chatbox"
Sorry Len Len...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-04-09, 06:22 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Sorry Len Len..."
I like them, i'm down for them. If any, i'd want the ones you suggested implemented. And there is nothing retarded about them, they just seem to offend the Asian crowd for some reason?..

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-04-13, 05:29 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I like them, i'm down for them. If any,..."
Bump. I'll keep this open for two more days before I close it to prevent further discussion - it'll keep being revived every three months, otherwise... most probably by me.

So that's two more days to vote if you want to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-13, 06:23 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Emoticons in the Chatbox"
I like emoticons, but I find them unsuitable for the chatbox. Text is more pure, easier to comprehend, requires less bandwidth and retains a sense a seriousness; similar to what you see in a post on Zelaron which is devoid of emoticons.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-13, 01:39 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I like emoticons, but I find them..."
I feel using Emoticons enhances chat in both, weather you're using sarcasm that tends to float over the heads of others you can just use the :rollseyes: one.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-04-14, 11:30 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I feel using Emoticons enhances chat in..."
If you have to TELL the person you're talking to that you're utilizing sarcasm they're probably too retarded to be worth talking to anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2008-04-14, 11:50 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "If you have to TELL the person you're..."
Quote:
utilizing
Oh yeah? Yes, because they're completely futile for everything. Just leave the boards the same, and let everything die because nobody comes here anymore anyways.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:14 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh yeah? Yes, because they're..."
D3V said:
Oh yeah? Yes, because they're completely futile for everything. Just leave the boards the same, and let everything die because nobody comes here anymore anyways.
You're not getting me troll
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:20 PM in reply to Randuin's post starting "You're not getting me troll"
Quote:
You're not getting me troll
:lol:

Randuin said:
If you have to TELL the person you're talking to that you're utilizing sarcasm they're probably too retarded to be worth talking to anyway.

Uh okay. I still just think they'd be a nice addition, and don't see the harm in adding them.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:38 PM in reply to D3V's post starting ":lol: Uh okay. I still..."
Besides it ruining the flavor?

That and bored people doing stuff like

much the same as GLG does his stupid waves and cheese spam
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:40 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Besides it ruining the flavor? That..."
Hahaha. No, I just view the chatterbox as a similarity to AIM or something of the sort..

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:41 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Besides it ruining the flavor? That..."
In which case, we've got a nifty little group for people banned from the Chatbox, don't we?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:46 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "In which case, we've got a nifty little..."
Problem solved!

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-04-14, 01:50 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Problem solved!"
I think the icons in the chatbox would be cool. I like how you made the chatbox icons square as opposed to circle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coffeedagger

Posted 2008-04-14, 02:03 PM in reply to Coffeedagger's post starting "I think the icons in the chatbox would..."
More because they're so small than anything - with a 10x10 circle, you barely have the width or height to do anything. With a 10x10 square, however, there's more room to do a lot of things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny