Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Post Movies: The Last Samurai
Posted 2004-01-05, 07:52 PM
No Disclaimer, you know the drill...

The Last Samurai, most notably starring Tom Cruise:

I don't know about the rest of you that saw this movie, but for me, it was definitely not on my first to see list. I was actually coaxed into seeing this before LoTR, but don't let my skepticism just now fool you, this was one kick-ass, top notch movie!

I can't remember exactly how long they said it took to shoot this full and through, but I do remember it was an extraordinary amount of time, in comparison to most movies. Let me tell you, boy did it show! Tom Cruise not only studied the ancient traditions and mentality of the Samurai, but he trained in the technical aspect as well. All the stunts and sword maneuvers were done by himself, no stunt double, which unless you've seen the movie, were incredible.

The entire film as a whole; acting, setting, storyline (although some people weren't fans), etc. was brilliant. When a movie gets the viewer to really have a heartfelt feeling for a person or belief, it is safe to say the movie was a success. Some say the storyline was pretty weak, but was compensated with the acting. I say that it couldn't have been done better. I'm glad they focused more on the way of the Samurai rather making it into a love driven story like other movies with similar plots have in the past. There was the perfect dose of fighting, love, and enrooting certain beliefs and knowledge.

I'm not going to give away anymore of the storyline than I already have, for it is one that is better to experience first hand, rather than through the text of another.

Tom Cruise did a superb job, and this movie absolutely gets a must see from Titusfied!

Rating: 9.1/10
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-01-05, 07:59 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "Movies: The Last Samurai"
I saw this movie just because my friends said it "was cool and has awesome battle scenes." The movie blew me away, and I wouldn't definately say it's my favorite of 2003. I agree with everything Titusfied said... the movie is fantastic and if you don't see it, I swear I'll kill you and all who are related.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-01-05, 09:11 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "Movies: The Last Samurai"
I was actualy mad that a white dude was starring in it, but the movie was great and Tom Cruise did a great job.

The war scenes were a bit redundant though.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-01-06, 05:17 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Movies: The Last Samurai"
Adrenachrome said:
I was actualy mad that a white dude was starring in it, but the movie was great and Tom Cruise did a great job.

The war scenes were a bit redundant though.
Nah man this movie was hella crazy and My brother was saying the same thing but without the Tom Cruise from America this movie wouldn't have had any story you know. But damn this movie is probably my favorite movie of all times now cuz it's that damn good and Katsumoto's son is one crazy ass guy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2004-01-06, 03:16 PM in reply to Titusfied's post "Movies: The Last Samurai"
I enjoyed it, very good (I believe LotR:RotK was THE best movie of 2003 and all time!)

10/10
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Post The Last Samurai
Posted 2004-06-02, 06:57 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Movies: The Last Samurai"
Edited by Titus 
Not an original review, but merged with this thread to avoid overlap...

From their chivalric code of honour to their dazzling array of armoury, Hollywood has long revelled in the near-mythic allure of the samurai – erstwhile protectors of Japan’s ruling elite – whilst rarely featuring any. Their influence may be profound, but is usually translated into a Westernised equivalent; The Magnificent Seven’s posse, Star Wars’ Jedi knights or Ghost Dog’s ghetto assassin.

The Last Samurai is different, director Edward Zwick (Glory, Legends Of The Fall) pulling out the stops to create the first real American Samurai Movie. But although Zwick maintains a deep-seated respect for the traditions of old Japan, in presenting all-American Tom Cruise as the would-be saviour of the alien samurai it very nearly succumbs to the pitfalls that have turned other expensive period productions into flag-waving American patriot pieces.

That, however, would not be seeing the bigger picture. Above all, this is a beautiful film – Zwick’s direction and John Toll’s cinematography imbuing late 19th Century Japan with a delicate mix of the ethereal, the picturesque and the foreboding. Affording it a kind of spiritual reverence in keeping with the Zen-inclined way of the samurai (Bushido) they capture an ancient world on the brink of a massive cultural shift, fading ghostlike into the mists of time as the wheels of the 20th Century roar into motion.
Cruise plays Captain Nate Algren, tormented veteran of the Civil War and subsequent Indian campaigns. Washed up as a glorified salesman of the latest Winchester rifles and haunted by flashbacks of his army’s massacring of Native American innocents, he is liable to go off like a drunken loose cannon during public demonstrations.

Enlisted by mercenary Colonel Bagley (Tony Goldwyn) to train the Japanese army in modern combat techniques (to coincide with a lucrative arms deal), Cruise sets sail for Tokyo. But trouble is brewing – the young Emperor threatened by a samurai rebellion against the modernisation that will make their traditional roles and customs extinct. Exhibiting something of a death wish, Algren agrees to lead a poorly prepared army into battle with the sword-wielding samurai cavalry. Defeated, he is captured by their leader Katsumoto (a standout performance from Watanabe) and nursed back to health by his beautiful, recently widowed sister Taka (Koyuki).

From here the plot develops predictably. Initially resistant, Algren becomes fascinated by the meditative way of the samurai with its ultimate suicide clause of seppuku, is tutored in their techniques and a smattering of Japanese and eventually joins Katsumoto as brother in arms (and armour) in a final, bloody battle against the army and their American howitzers. Mild romantic distraction (the operative word) is provided by an exchange of furtive glances between Algren and a reticent Taka.

Parallels with Dances With Wolves have inevitably been drawn – a connection reinforced by Zwick’s seemingly forced analogy between the samurai and Native American experiences; two different cultures in very different circumstances. But Algren is a Westerner who finds solace and redemption in ancient ways and their moral absolutes – a subtle indictment of a modern, mechanical and spiritually bankrupt world by Zwick – whilst the notion that there can be valour, even beauty, in warfare is a seductive if highly outdated one, skilfully handled by the director.

Despite some major flaws (admittedly fewer than expected considering such problematic themes and prejudices regarding The Cruise Factor), The Last Samurai is a dreamily engaging film – and an aesthetically stunning one – that washes over the senses and, briefly, touches something deeper; an unlikely merger of entertainment and spiritualism that ultimately sells out.

Its scale is complemented perfectly by an excellent transfer. The widescreen scenery absorbs you whilst the sound, particularly during the magnificent battle scenes, is hair-on-end good. Some generous special features include the informative ‘History Vs Hollywood’ featurette, which delves into the filmmakers’ scrupulous attention to period detail and, with the help of historians, actually questions whether the film’s portrayal of the ‘honourable’ samurai is over-sympathetic, arguing that they were in fact outmoded reactionaries. Glimpses into the well researched costume design and weaponry are also a real treat for samurai fans; the samurai tools of warfare as artfully crafted as they were deadly.

So, for your money, you get yourself a valuable history lesson into the bargain.

Long Movie, but Its worth the buy, you will probably get into it.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by Titusfied; 2004-06-02 at 09:25 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V