Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Keep it or leave it
Keep it, 5 letter rule is helpful and not that annoying 12 60.00%
Get rid of it, it's a neusance and not always needed 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Posted 2008-03-27, 05:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I agree with the first part... maybe 15..."
i personally dont think that it would to much. you'd get this instead.

"yea.

Super-duper Fuck you WetWierd."
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:03 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "i personally dont think that it would..."
Wetwierd lol.

I agree that 15 is better than 25. Some arguments can be rebutted by posting a single short sentence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:05 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "i personally dont think that it would..."
Until we start trashing posts that use tactic like that to get around the limit rule. If someone posted:

Quote:
yea.

Super-duper Fuck you WetWierd.
...in response to, say, a News item, or an Announcement, then I'd count it as spam and would be well within my rights to trash it. And I'd put money on the other mods agreeing with me.

Just my two pence.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:05 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting ":D Wetwierd lol. I agree that 15..."
yea. 15 is more fair i guess. but still, you're gonna get alot of what i said before. or just kashfdpa3yhpqiuhrsf.abpda8
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Until we start trashing posts that use..."
I don't see why we should have the restraint at all - let the people who step out of line be dealt with.

Hey look a report button.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:12 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I don't see why we should have the..."
Quote:
kashfdpa3yhpqiuhrsf.abpda8
I'd trash that without even needing to think about it.

---

If a user repeatedly posts three character repsonses followed by "Fuck you WW", or things of similar ilk, then I'll start warning and banning (other mods might come down more heavily and ban straight off).

And by all means use the Report button, but don't expect that because a post has been reported action will be taken against it - judgement will be made over whether action deserves to be taken. I've had notifications of five or six posts that have been reported, and I've only taken action against one - the other four or five complaints were just childish. That's not to say that all reports aren't considered, or are just ignored; they're all thought about carefully before a decision is reached.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:17 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'd trash that without even needing to..."
way to kill the fun =[
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:22 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "way to kill the fun =["
Seventeen characters, not including spaces. Post approved... just.

It's not really ruining the fun. In places where "lol", "yea" and "wtf" aren't suitable, the fun comes in a different variety. Just imagine the Opinion and Debate forum filled with "yea", "agree", or "watevr"... or the Flame Forum chock full of "gay", "nig" or "pwn". Suitable for the Chatterbox, or the WRT, where conversations are more fast-paced and made up of short, sharp sentences and responses, but not for the more serious sections.

And what can I say? I like things to be organised and with rules set to them. Call me anal about it, but it won't change a thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-27, 06:26 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Seventeen characters, not including..."
I agree with your sentiments, but at the same time I want to be able to say what I want. Maybe your required characters can be reduced based on how much rep you have or something... haha.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-03-27, 07:00 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I agree with your sentiments, but at..."
GravitonSurge said:
I agree with your sentiments, but at the same time I want to be able to say what I want. Maybe your required characters can be reduced based on how much rep you have or something... haha.
I agree, with the added note that I don't think being restrictive on how we can post will help activity much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-03-27, 07:26 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I agree with your sentiments, but at..."
Senior member and ^ privilege of no post restriction? Sounds good to me :]

I don't want to be limited but at the same time the 5 letter rule wasn't very bothersome.

So now from 5 it's at 15/25 or something. Uhwhat.?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-27, 10:05 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Senior member and ^ privilege of no..."
I am probably one of the most verbose members at Zelaron. That said, I think there are plenty of instances where one word responses are more than appropriate, even outside the chat forum. For instance, a one word exclamation is a succinct expression of emotions to a certain news article.

However, this is hardly the issue. What's important is that this rule is absolutely frivolous and annoying. It serves absolutely no purpose. It is a rule employed to flex the forum's muscle. If you think that removing the 5-letter rule is going to change the quality of posts at Zelaron, you are mistaken. <5 letter posts are posted all the time, with a simple add-on at the bottom. They are appropriate posts. This rule is merely an annoyance. That reason alone should be more than enough to get rid of it, given that there will not be any other significant changes that stem from it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-27, 10:07 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I agree, with the added note that I..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I agree, with the added note that I don't think being restrictive on how we can post will help activity much.
/signed

(A perfect example. I have, with a single word, endorsed the idea that KA suggested, showing my support for it without being garrulous)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-28, 05:46 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "/signed (A perfect example. I have,..."
The post way back there was to prove my point. Anyone could just add random crap onto the end of a post and it would fit the requierment. I also agree with talentedhamster. Insted of someone saying
"Ya

Fuck WW"
They would say.
"Yes

Fucking fucker WW"
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-28, 08:33 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "The post way back there was to prove my..."
That's why the mods would manually enforce it, as Lenny said.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-28, 09:35 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "That's why the mods would manually..."
WetWired said:
That's why the mods would manually enforce it, as Lenny said.
But it seems entirely pointless.

Do you not agree that at least some posts are a valid response that are under x number of characters?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-28, 09:42 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "But it seems entirely pointless. Do..."
Yes, but not enough to warrant dealing with the trouble of retards complaining about unequal enforcement.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-28, 10:50 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Yes, but not enough to warrant dealing..."
Ditch the 5 letter rule and enforce signifigant post rules completely in all non spam forums.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-28, 11:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Yes, but not enough to warrant dealing..."
WetWired said:
Yes, but not enough to warrant dealing with the trouble of retards complaining about unequal enforcement.
I think if a single post fits then that rule should not be automatically enforced. Why automate the moderator's job when they can do it so much more efficiently?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-28, 11:13 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I think if a single post fits then that..."
Because retards complain loudly and persistantly when rules are enforced on a case by case basis.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired