Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Post Siggraph 2003 San Diego!
Posted 2003-07-24, 11:59 PM
I leave on the plane to San Diego first thing tomorrow! Once I get there I will do more detailed reports on Siggraph 2003. This event for those interested will rock. I will witness the demonstration of such things as Lightwave 8, 3dsmax 6 and whatever Alias|Wavefront... Ooops. Alias and Softimage will cook up. There are many freebies to grab, prizes to win, plus... I will see world's first PORTABLE motion capture machine I will be looking forward for those here that are attending and be glad to tell you are who aren't going what happens

Cya in 2 weeks! (Or more)

-Randuin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-07-25, 12:36 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Have fun, if you are taking pics maybe you could show us?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2003-07-25, 08:35 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Um... stab me if this is a stupid question, but wtf is a portable motion capture machine? Would that be a.... camcorder?
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-07-25, 08:52 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
A motion capture machine captures the motion of someone real by putting sensors on their joints and later on the motion is applied to the animated character therefore making them do the exact same thing (If you've skinned your character correctly)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-07-25, 03:11 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
oh i 've seen something like that on tv before , and this sux cuz i just bought lightwave 7 and they're making 8 already
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2003-07-25, 03:55 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
No it dosen't, if you want to learn LW, stay with 7... so many tuts out for it at the moment. When you learn it well enough just pay for the update.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2003-07-26, 07:56 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Have fun Randuin .
I, S, A zum R wer von euch denkt hier er könnte mehr, als die Berliner Bären? Adrenalin Musik direkt aus Kreuzberg!
Ich mache harte Musik auf harte Beats, wie diesen hier. Hinter mir Untergrundkrieger die mit mir maschieren als Team! Seit Jahren seh ich sie alle an uns vorbeiziehen, erst Savas dann Aggro, es ist Zeit für?! ADRENALIN!!!

You missed me? I'M BACK!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JiDDaR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJiDDaR is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JiDDaR

Posted 2003-07-26, 08:43 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Wish i could go there too...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mr.Lee is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMr.Lee is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Mr.Lee

Posted 2003-08-01, 12:52 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Okay I'm back, the demonstrations of Lightwave 8, 3dsmax 6, maya 5, XSI, half life 2 and so on were very very impressive. Newtek booth had none-stop presentations, and I was actually able to answer a question right and acquire a copy of Lightwave 7.5 for free.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-08-01, 01:12 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Randuin said:
Okay I'm back, the demonstrations of Lightwave 8, 3dsmax 6, maya 5, XSI, half life 2 and so on were very very impressive. Newtek booth had none-stop presentations, and I was actually able to answer a question right and acquire a copy of Lightwave 7.5 for free.
Welcome back, sounds tight... how was the motion capture machine?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Acer

Posted 2003-08-01, 06:10 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
it was awesome, they set it up with motionbuilder, so they had a girl a and a guy dancing in a ring and on the huge LCD screen is the ninja and the fairy dancing in real time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-08-02, 08:38 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
omg that is so sweet! Can't wait to see it in movie production, are any movies going to use the tech that you know of?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Acer

Posted 2003-08-02, 09:38 AM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Did you get any pixs you're willing to share? Did you get any at all?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2003-08-02, 02:38 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
I'm pretty sure motion capture has been around for a long time now. Many movies and games have utilized such technology, they're just improving it. Gollum from TTT's motion was created by means of this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-08-02, 09:14 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
But, you mean motion capture as in the guy is weaing a suit full of sensors right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2003-08-02, 10:29 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Randuin said:
I'm pretty sure motion capture has been around for a long time now. Many movies and games have utilized such technology, they're just improving it. Gollum from TTT's motion was created by means of this.
Yeah I have seen them being tested and worked on, but I havent seen them in use for a movie, but thats what I haven't seen, I dont know of.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Acer

Posted 2003-08-02, 11:36 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Another thing for anyone who missed SIGGRAPH... The collectable expose cards were AWESOME! The one by Stahlberg and the korean guy (The sexy girl falling over on her back, kinda looks like flying? Ya you know this one!) They are awesome! Pixar's demonstration, walking teapot and free poster was cool too!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-08-04, 09:07 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Hey Randuin, did you manage to get any pictures? Also, did you win anything else, or score any freebies?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2003-08-04, 10:32 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
I just said I won a copy of Lightwave 7.5
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-08-04, 11:10 PM in reply to Randuin's post "Siggraph 2003 San Diego!"
Ah, well it sounds like you had a really good time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin