Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Time for Metroid Prime 2 hype!
Posted 2004-11-12, 01:15 AM
Seeing as how it's a scant few days until the official release of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, I've decided to hype the shit out of it in one all-encompassing rush of information and Samus-love!

For those of you unaware of what MP2 actually is, I'll enlighten you. In November of 2002, Nintendo released unto the buying public not one, but two new installments of the Metroid franchise, a series Nintendo hadn't laid hands upon for eight years. Not since the stellar Super Metroid, released on the SNES in 1994, has Nintendo's fanbase been given a fresh episode of the advantures of Samus Aran, galactic bounty hunter and Metroid destroyer. The two games Nintendo gave us in 2002 were the GBA title Metroid Fusion, met with ciritcism and praise, and the series' first foray into the realm of 3D, Metroid Prime, for the Nintendo Gamecube. Since the release of the original Metroid Prime, people have hailed it as the absolute pinnacle of software to be found on the console, and for very good reason. It was a brilliantly designed, constantly compelling and perfectly balanced mixture of depthy exploration, nerve-wracking action and engrossing plot. Since it's release, it has been hailed by most fans as being the absolute perfect translation of the Metroid series into a 3D medium, and for the last two years we have waited for the sequel, frothing with demand for it.

And now we come to it. On November 15th, 2004, Nintendo and Retro Studios will release the second installment of the 3D Metroid Franchise, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I'll give you all the information I have, and when I'm done, you'll be sweating rivers in anticipation.

Samus takes aim

The second installment of the 3D Metroid saga takes place just after the events of Metroid Prime. Samus has just escaped the planet Tallon IV after having defeated Metroid Prime itself, when she recieves a communique from the Galactic Federation headquarters. A support team sent to the nearby planet Aether has suddenly gone silent. Headquarters hasn't recieved any word from the team for several hours and they request that Samus head down to the planet to lend support and provide a status report if possible.

Upon approaching the planet, Aran sees that the entire world seems visually unstable. The entire globe seems to phase in and out of existence, shifting between two polar "light and dark" extremes. Entering the planet's atmosphere proves to be much harder than expected. Violent electrical storms rip through the sky, causing interferece with her ship, forcing her to make a rocky emergency landing. Upon exiting her ship and further exploring the planet, she locates the Galactic Federation team, all slaughtered by an unknown assailant. Further exploring the region, Samus encounters a wise race of creatures native to Aether, named the Luminoth. Asking for assistance from these pacifistic creaures, the bounty hunter is informed of several things: 1) Their planet has been invaded by the Space Pirate scum that Samus has been fighting since her first mission. They have apparently come in search of Phazon to mine, which was their objective on Tallon 4. 2) While the Space Pirates are certainly a threat, they are not the ones responsible for the slaying of the Galactic Federation Team that Samus came in search of. Another native race of Aether, a violent, dark breed of creature named the Ing are responsible, and they are at fault for far more wrongdoing that simple murder.

Samus learns that Aether itself is being ripped apart by the Ing. They are the physical, intellectual and spiritual opposite to the Luminoth, so much to the point where their very presence has caused a disturbance in the fabric of reality itself. The odd phase-distortion that Samus had seen when approaching the planet is a result of two wholly separate versions of Aether itself, each fighting for dominance. These two separate worlds, named the Light World and Dark World, for the sake of convenience, are constantly vying for superiority over the other, and as such they are causing the entire planet to break down. While the Luminoth are passive, kind creatures, intent only on living peacefully, the Ing desire nothing less than to slaughter and devour every last thing in existence. In return for repairing Samus' ship, thereby allowing her to escape the planet later, they ask that she rid their world of both the Space Pirate menace and the Ing Hordes completely.

However, the going won't be quite as easy as it seems. In order to defeat the Ing and Space Pirate threats, Samus will have to traverse both the Light and Dark dimensions of Aether. She will have to travel into the Dark World in order to hunt down and exterminate the Ing Hordes on their own turf. However, doing so comes at a price. The Dark World literally drips with such powerful negative energy that simply existing there for too long can cause her physical harm. In order to give her some sort of advantage over these seemingly insurmountable odds, the Luminoth provide her with two brand-new weapons with which to defend herself: the Light Beam and the Dark Beam. The Light Beam works wonders against Dark World enemies, and the reverse it true for the Dark Beam. However, (and this is a first for the Metroid franchise) these two incredibly destructive beam weapons have a limited supply of ammunition, which Samus will have to constantly monitor in order to make sure she's properly armed at all times.

Samus in the Dark Suit

In addition to her two new Beam types, Samus will also acquire several new extra abilities and pieces of equipment during her mission. She will acquire at least two new suits of armor, including a Dark Suit capable of protecting her from the corrosive effects of the Dark World. She will also apparently acquire a few new, as of yet unannounced, Beam types. Also, longtime fans of the series will be elated to learn that MP2: Echoes will hail the return of Samus' legendary Screw Attack and wall-jump abilities from previous games in the series. In addition, Samus' missiles will also recieve an upgrade or two, including the ability to lock onto multiple targets for maximized destructive capabilities. Finally, Samus will be granted two new Visors, the Dark Visor, with enhanced visibility in darkness, and the Echo Visor, which sees pure sound. Samus will also have full access to the majority of abilities and weapons offered to her in Metroid Prime, including the Morphball mode, Grappling Beam and Beam/Missile Combo weapons.

Concept Art of Dark Samus

If the odds didn't seem stacked against our heroine quite enough beforehand, Samus has one other nasty opponent to deal with during her travels. Dark Samus. In the end sequence of the previous game, Samus lost her powerful Phazon Armor to Metroid Prime during their final battle. As inner catacombs of the Phazon Crater collapsed around her, she escaped, leaving the Phazon Suit and her apparently dead opponent behind. However, as she escaped the planet's atmosphere on her ship, her discarded armor suddenly sprang to life, apparently now possessed by the undying will of Metroid Prime itself. Since Samus' escape, Dark Samus has pursued her across the galaxy to Aether with the sole intention of humiliating and destroying the bounty hunter. During the course of her time on Aether, Samus will be forced to do battle with her Dark counterpart several times.

Multiplayer goodness!

On top of all of these incredible enhancements being made to the single-player game, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes will also feature the series' first multiplayer experience. Players will all control their own Samus in a variety of first-person deathmatch modes, loaded with weapon powerups, and several environmental additons such as the Morphball cannons, which launch Samus over great distances while in Morphball form.

The game will feature an innumerable amount of graphical enhancements over the original, an amazing soundtrack, several new modes of play, plenty of unlockables and enough atmosphere and high-intensity action to keep you superglued in front of your TV for days.

November 15th quickly approaches. Reserve your copy now! Else you'll get a healthy dose of Dark Beam upside your head!

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-11-12 at 01:36 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-11-12, 05:52 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Time for Metroid Prime 2 hype!"
Yep, I'm getting this one. I'm actually wondering just how the screw attack is going to work, because it would be insane figuring out where everything is while the enitre world is spinning around on-screen.

I'm also hoping that Dark Samus is as oddly "scary" as SA-X, though it probably won't be since you're not basically helpless this time around. Whenever SA-X came on screen, I'd curse out loud, usually because I hadn't saved in a while.

At least I have a paycheck coming, so I'll have to stash away the 50 bucks to buy it. Hopefully the Dark World / Light World isn't just a gimmick, and is done as well as Zelda 3. EGM apparently gave it a 9.0/9.0/10.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-11-12, 06:01 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Yep, I'm getting this one. I'm..."
I've seen video of the Screw Attack in action. The camera pulls out into a 3rd person perspective. Same with the wall jump. The deal with the Screw Attack is that it's a lateral-only maneuver. You can't gain altitude with it like you could in Super Metroid.

I actually haven't played Metroid Fusion. I'm actually planning on grabbing it when I head to Idaho next week to grab MP2 and Mario Power Tennis. I'm hoping that Dark Samus turns out to be as unbelievably badass as he/she looks.

From what I hear, the Light World/Dark World thing is really well done. The Dark World in particular is apparently nasty. IGN will be posting their full review later today, so I'm itching to see what they say about it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-11-12, 08:42 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I've seen video of the Screw Attack in..."
Soooo many games out that I want to buy....

I usually don't buy all that many games.

I got MKA when it came out (bad decision I think, but I didn't have a MK game for any of the new consoles, so oh well.)
I got EQ2.
I'm getting HL2 when it comes out.
I might get MP2.
I might get the new GTA.
I might get GT4.

Anything I'm missing?

Post a review after you get it Raz. I wanna see if you still think it's ubar.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-11-12, 02:37 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I've seen video of the Screw Attack in..."
Actually, the spinning altitude gaining/hovering ability is called "space jump". Space jump was a hard enough skill to master in 2D. Could you imagine the pain in 3D? As much as I love my space jump, it's certainly for the best that it's not in this one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-11-14, 10:35 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Actually, the spinning altitude..."
Actually, the Space Jump is in Metroid Prime and MP2. It's just a double-jump function. The Screw Attack now carries all of the hovering properties in the 3D series.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-11-14, 10:47 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Actually, the Space Jump is in Metroid..."
The space jump in MP is the same concept as the old metroid games but she doesn't spin, in MP2 she will be spinning(meaning she can use the screw attack as well).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-11-14, 10:59 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Actually, the Space Jump is in Metroid..."
Well, no it's not the same concept. In MP the Space Jump is just a double-jump. One extra jump in midair is all she gets. In the 2D games, the Space Jump is a multi-jump, meaning she can basically hover in the air for an infinite amount of time.

In MP2, the Space Jump functions exactly the same way as in the first MP. It's just a double-jump. When Samus gains access to the Screw Attack, it pulls the camera out into a 3rd person perspective and allows her to multi-jump in a lateral direction only. She can't gain altitude when using the Screw Attack in MP2.

The multi-jump capability is now built into the Screw Attack, not the Space Jump.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-11-15, 06:42 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Well, no it's not the same concept. In..."
Will it have the same harsh timing requirements as the 2D games? You say she can basically hover indefinately, but the correct phrase is she can theoretically hover indefinately, because in fact, it is very difficult to pull off, unless you can find a nice, inert wall to hover beside.

Also, why does there need to be multi-jump for the screw attack? In Metroid II, the screw attack was just as deadly without spacejump; the only real reason the two needed to go together was to escape the un-screw-attackable metroids, speaking of which, will you still be invulnerable while screw-attacking?

Last edited by WetWired; 2004-11-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-11-15, 10:35 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Will it have the same harsh timing..."
As far as I'm aware, yeah, you're still invulnerable. It still requires the timing to pull of the multi-jump as well.

As for why they combined them, it would be pointless to include the Screw Attack into a Metroid Prime game without the multi-jump attached to it. Doing so would create a gameplay mechanic in which the view would pull out into a 3rd-person perspective every time Samus jumps, as opposed to just pulling the view out for when she activates the multi-jump. It would be too disorienting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-11-15, 11:36 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "As far as I'm aware, yeah, you're still..."
Just thinking about it, it seems to me like the game would be better if it was completely third person.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-11-16, 12:29 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Just thinking about it, it seems to me..."
...obviously you've never played Metroid Prime. If you had, you wouldn't have said such a thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel