Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Coincidence or P.R. Nightmare?
Posted 2007-07-22, 08:14 PM
They say this is coincidental, but looking at the picture, something seems off. The "assassin" looks less like what I think of as an assassin (Agent 47) and more like, well, a black guy with a knife. Maybe not so good.

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/07/20/2...n-and-a-knife/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-23, 07:14 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post "Coincidence or P.R. Nightmare?"
He's an Assassin from the Old School. You know, creeping through draughty castles, crossbow slung onto his back, knife in gloved hand, just waiting for his victim to step out and for him to slit his throat. A proper assassin!

As for the context of it in the game, I'd say it's just Take Two's twisted humour once again showing through. Personally, I think it's slightly amusing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-07-23, 10:34 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He's an Assassin from the Old School...."
Oh, I would find it amusing as well. I just don't see the current public climate as a opportune time to be focusing on a cheap laugh. There are people out there, as frightening as this may seem, that listen to the inane ramblings of twits like Jack Thompson and say, "yes, this rambling twit is correct." I feel that the video game industry as a whole should probably be watching its back a little more closely in the face of impending censorship. As unlikely as many may see this, the general public is easily duped by major politicians who talk about the "depravity" of video games corrupting our youth and creating mass murderers. Ill informed conservatives and liberals alike eat that bullshit up with a spoon.

Kind of started ranting there, sorry. Ultimately, I just worry that if the game industry doesn't take itself seriously, then nobody else will feel the need to do so.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-23, 11:05 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Oh, I would find it amusing as well. I..."
On the subject of Jack Thompson, his right to do anything lawy has been taken away by the Florida bar. So we won't be seeing much more of him in lawsuits.

As for censorship, now that really is starting to become annoying. Living in the UK, or the US, we don't really see it much (ignoring Manhunt 2 for a moment) - very few games are censored, or forced to tone down. In countries like Japan, or Germany, for example, blood is not allowed to be seen in the game.

I don't know about art and film censorship, but I'd hazard a guess that in these modern times, very little, if anything at all, in pieces of art, or in films, is censored, no matter what the subject matter. Why can the same not be true for video games?

You know that a while ago, someone tried to start bringing in age ratings on books?

Anyway, going back to the game... what else is the mascot of a team nicknamed "The Assassin's" going to be?!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-07-23, 11:33 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "On the subject of Jack Thompson, his..."
Lenny said:
Anyway, going back to the game... what else is the mascot of a team nicknamed "The Assassin's" going to be?!
I see your point. I'm only saying that it may have been more tactful for the game designers to lean more toward a mascot whose appearance wouldn't accidentally be mistaken for O.J. in a hoodie with a knife (which, apparently, is what happened). They could have gone with a more ninja-like costume.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-23, 12:01 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I see your point. I'm only saying that..."
Ninja with a bloody great sword?

Or a kind of Snake-ish figure with a big gun?

To be honest, though, this pales in comparison to OJ's apparent book about the infamous incident, does it not?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-07-23, 12:58 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ninja with a bloody great sword? Or..."
Very true. And his very nearly aired Fox Network speical promised to be less than discrete.

From what I understand, though, it was his publicity people complaining about the coincidence in the game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-23, 01:04 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Very true. And his very nearly aired..."
Well, they've gone and done it now, haven't they?

Oh no, it wasn't purposefully put there. One of the designers didn't stick it in as a joke. Ho no! It is a coincidence that it's in the game.

Some PR folks really are daft buggers. Wording really is everything. Look at the Microsoft vs. Immersion suit - if Immersion has "settled" with Sony, then they owe Microsoft a few million dollars. If, however, it was not a "settlement", but rather a "payment", then Immersion owe MS nothing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-07-23, 01:17 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well, they've gone and done it now,..."
Yeah, I read about that. Ridiculous. Absoludicrous, even.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-23, 05:05 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Oh, I would find it amusing as well. I..."
Vault Dweller said:
Oh, I would find it amusing as well. I just don't see the current public climate as a opportune time to be focusing on a cheap laugh. There are people out there, as frightening as this may seem, that listen to the inane ramblings of twits like Jack Thompson and say, "yes, this rambling twit is correct." I feel that the video game industry as a whole should probably be watching its back a little more closely in the face of impending censorship. As unlikely as many may see this, the general public is easily duped by major politicians who talk about the "depravity" of video games corrupting our youth and creating mass murderers. Ill informed conservatives and liberals alike eat that bullshit up with a spoon.

Kind of started ranting there, sorry. Ultimately, I just worry that if the game industry doesn't take itself seriously, then nobody else will feel the need to do so.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/04/14

Pretty much the truth on it, my term paper in English last semester was on violence in video games. The absolute loathing I hold for Jack Thompson cannot be expressed in any language spoken on this planet.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker