Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

i want a shadow priest
Posted 2006-07-30, 09:08 AM
yeah so what talents should i do hes level 30 now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Farting_Pumpkin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenFarting_Pumpkin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Farting_Pumpkin

Posted 2006-07-30, 11:21 AM in reply to Farting_Pumpkin's post "i want a shadow priest"
h4x lvl 300.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-07-30, 11:45 AM in reply to Farting_Pumpkin's post "i want a shadow priest"
Wouldn't you want to start out with holy first and respec shadow at 60? I thought holy priests were much more in demand at lower levels.

Never had one though so I'm not sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-07-30, 11:54 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Wouldn't you want to start out with..."
well i dunno first priest ever. so i started as shadow still am shadow i do good damage in duels.. so i dunno
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Farting_Pumpkin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenFarting_Pumpkin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Farting_Pumpkin

Posted 2006-07-30, 01:09 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Wouldn't you want to start out with..."
No, you want to be shadow until like low to mid 50s, otherwise soloing is a bitch.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2006-07-31, 09:45 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "No, you want to be shadow until like..."
With the new holy tree, it isn't so bad, or so I've heard.

This is your basic full shadow path:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...02323100511251
Your ideal combat goes something like this:
Mind Blast (pulls)
Mind Flay (damages and keeps him off you for a bit)
Shadow Word: Pain
Psychic Scream (he's on you by now)
Vampiric Embrace (to recover lost HP and take up time until you can cast...)
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Power Word: Shield (fill some time preventing future pain)
Mind Blast
Mind Flay (he'll be on return sometime during this)
Mind Flay
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Mind Flay
Repeat from psycic scream, replacing VE with SW:P

Of course, for this to work right, you need plenty of room to fear. In closer quarters, combat goes like this:
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Vampiric Embrace
Shadow Word: Pain
Power Word: Shield
Mind Blast
Mind Flay
Mind Flay
Repeat from mind blast, recasting PW:S and SW:P as necessary.

If you're just putting into shadow to make leveling not suck, you only need Spirit Tap, Improved SW:P, Mind Flay, and the 3 points in Improved Mind Blast (6.5 seconds is just long enough for a real human to do two mind flays).
Since you'll be expected to heal in groups, I suggest putting lots of points into discipline, which helps you both solo and in groups.

This is my personal end-game raiding build:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...32004100501200
While this is not a damage build, it does allow me to do fair damage when soloing. The role of this build in a raid is to heal a DPS group (usually rogues with a hunter with trueshot aura, and if you're unlucky, a warrior with improved battle shout--believe it or not the warrior takes the most damage...) and to keep up shadow weaving for the warlocks (they'll love you for it). Above all, you keep your group alive, hopefully mostly by VE, with the occational flash heal or prayer of healing; when your party is good on HP, you only mind flay since it is more mana efficient and less aggro than Mind Blast. On the issue of aggro, you'll have lots of it between the damage, the healling, and the massive over-healing, so don't think you can get away with cutting the threat reduction talents or take a blessing of wisdom instead of a blessing of salvation. With 5 points in Mental Agility and a group that usually doesn't take tons of damage, you are also designated decurser for fights that need it. If you decide to go this route, note that you should never introduce yourself to a prospective guild as a "Shadow Priest" (which carries a strong connotation of useless); with this build, you are a "VE healer hybrid".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-07-31, 11:04 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "With the new holy tree, it isn't so..."
From my experience leveling a priest to 60 with holy ...I'd never do it that way again. Specs make less difference at the beginning of the game with priests, tbh.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-08-01, 04:33 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "From my experience leveling a priest to..."
I have played both shadow to 60 and holy to 60. Honestly.. I prefer holy and I have learned to hate shadow priests in shadowform. Unless they are pve specced. In my experience though leveling my holy priest took much less time. Groups finished instances quickly which alowed me to grind out more.

Also... It takes alot of skill to play a holy priest correctly in terms of solo grinding. If you want a challenge, horde spirit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-08-01, 12:12 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "I have played both shadow to 60 and..."
Why would hording spirit make a challenge? I was a spirit whore most of my time leveling and it totally paid off regen wise. I mean, I could keep two people renewed indefinately in SM from all the regen. If you max out meditation, every 10.6 spirit is equivilant to 1 mana/5 seconds while casting. Untill MP5 gear becomes readily available, spirit is a priest's best friend.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-09-14, 09:46 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Why would hording spirit make a..."
Because of the fact that you wont have the raw mana pool you would have if you neglected spirit, not to mention you wont have as much stamina. Sure holy + spirit pays off but in the same way that stam and int + shadow pay off.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-09-16, 11:34 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "Because of the fact that you wont have..."
In my experience, you don't need a huge mana pool when you have a ton of regen. If you're solo shadow, you'll need to not get hit so you can use mind flay, anyway, so sta doesn't help much, either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2006-09-19, 03:32 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "In my experience, you don't need a huge..."
My mindflay never gets interrupted by damage =/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

pr0xy

Posted 2006-09-20, 12:42 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "My mindflay never gets interrupted by..."
Any intelligent person using shadow will have a lot less down time if they use spirit tap correctly. Im designing my priest so I rarely have to drink for when Ex pak comes out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2006-09-20, 05:52 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "My mindflay never gets interrupted by..."
Lucky you. Everyone else has to kite the monsters or use PW:S to get the full effect of mind flay. Also note that it doesn't get interrupted, just the time remaining gets reduced.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2006-09-20, 07:04 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Lucky you. Everyone else has to kite..."
I have a leet wand .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2006-09-21, 10:53 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Lucky you. Everyone else has to kite..."
WetWired said:
Lucky you. Everyone else has to kite the monsters or use PW:S to get the full effect of mind flay. Also note that it doesn't get interrupted, just the time remaining gets reduced.
Im aware of that, I've just never had a problem with it I guess. I still believe intel is better than spirit if you are shadow. I got stam and intel on my priest and he was able to level quickly, and survive pvp situations with ease. Maybe its just me but I would rather have the stamina to survive a long fight rather than have the spirit to regen mana while im already casting. Of course I was also alchy so I would pop potions constantly =/ I guess it really just depends on the play style.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

pr0xy

Posted 2006-09-27, 09:51 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "Im aware of that, I've just never had a..."
I'd rather play an easier class, but thats just me.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2006-09-29, 06:21 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "I'd rather play an easier class, but..."
The plus side of playing a priest is that it's easy to get into instance groups. Pretty much, the easier it is for a character to solo, the higher the chance that you're not needed...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2006-09-30, 02:42 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The plus side of playing a priest is..."
WetWired said:
The plus side of playing a priest is that it's easy to get into instance groups. Pretty much, the easier it is for a character to solo, the higher the chance that you're not needed...
Definitely make sure you enjoy healing, and try it in a Raid environment before fully committing yourself to your Priest is my only advice.

I levelled a Priest to help with our guild progression at one point, and got stuck with it for a year until I could feasibly switch from it to something I enjoyed.

As a Shadow Priest, you may not go the raiding route, but there's only so far you can currently go without a Raid guild. Hopefully, the Burning Crusade will give some more options than just strictly grinding raid content in roles that people may not necessarily enjoy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2006-09-30, 07:40 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Definitely make sure you enjoy healing,..."
Oh, definately. If you're not the healer type, then Priest or Druid isn't the class for you, but don't go rogue or hunter unless you just can't stand the other classes. In my guild, mages and warlocks seemed to always be in pretty short supply, though that may not happen universally; I know that guilds are full on rogues and hunters, though, because even PUG UBRS raids get broadcast as "LFM UBRS, full on hunters and rogues" . . .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired