Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Post The Next Math Riddle
Posted 2003-09-26, 03:24 PM
Two people are both at Point A. Person 1 walks North at a rate of 783 km/hr. Person 2 walks in any direction at a different speed. Where will they meet?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-09-26, 03:27 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Person 1 walks really fast.

They will meet at Point A, if they don't change direction during their walks.

Edit: 
Or the exact opposite of Point A (The other side on Earth, or whatever Sphere they are on.)

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.

Last edited by Senesia; 2003-09-26 at 03:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-26, 03:35 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Ride each other
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Premier24 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPremier24 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Premier24

Posted 2003-09-26, 03:40 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Forgot to mention...if Person 2 walks North or South, then they could meet anywhere along the North-South route.

I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-26, 03:48 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
No matter what direction person 2 runs, they will meet at point A
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
TheStryker is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTheStryker is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

TheStryker

Posted 2003-09-26, 03:53 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Point A is one of the possible locations, yes.

But there is more than one possible "point" where they could meet.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-26, 04:11 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-09-26, 04:11 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Otherside of the earth? like you said above, that makes sense too
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
TheStryker is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTheStryker is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

TheStryker

Posted 2003-09-26, 04:34 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Then the answer would have to be in variables example 3x + y where x and y would be there starting points (why do you guys like to confuse people??) just for the fun of it huh?? O_o
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-09-26, 04:41 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
So far none of you have the right answer.

Edit: 
Spoke too soon
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-09-26, 04:41 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
The answer is that they wouldn't. At that speed, the first person would fling themself free of Earth's gravity and speed off into deep space. Even if the second person moved in the same direction at a greater speed, they wouldn't meet as their arcs would be different because of the difference in speed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-09-26, 05:01 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
omfg WW said "fucking pwnt"
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-09-26, 05:25 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
They will meet at point B, because whenever they meet it can't be considered point A, because if that were true you can't have a starting point and a finishing point be the same thing, it will have to be point A and point B.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-09-26, 06:11 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
D3V said:
They will meet at point B, because whenever they meet it can't be considered point A, because if that were true you can't have a starting point and a finishing point be the same thing, it will have to be point A and point B.
Read WW's post...

Blah, 783 km/hr.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-26, 06:13 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
The other answer is that it's impossible to walk at 783km/hr
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2003-09-26, 06:20 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
Because it is two times Light speed and more?

Edit: 

I read that as m/s, and I meant Sound Speed...

Last edited by Senesia; 2003-09-26 at 07:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2003-09-26, 06:35 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
No, because it's running.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-09-26, 06:47 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
783 km/hr isnt anything special...supersonic jets usually travel at 2 or 3 times that...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2003-09-26, 07:35 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
I thought walking was defined by constantly having contact with the ground with at least one foot, not by actual speed? Besides, the speed of light is over 1 billion km/h (1,079,252,849), 670,616,630 mph, or mach 904,019.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-09-26, 07:50 PM in reply to Grav's post "The Next Math Riddle"
If he is walking at that speed, he wouldn't detach from earths gravity, because the definition of walking is having at least 1 foot on the ground at once. If you are floating in space, you are no longer walking.

I like the "you can't walk at that speed" answer best.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!