Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Computer Problems - PLEASE READ
Posted 2004-03-30, 10:57 AM
Let me start a while back. My computer has a difficult time booting up usually.... I'll start it, but nothing happens. The second or third time, usually (more if I have recently moved the computer it seems), I get the "everything is okay" beep, and the computer starts.

Current Problem:
Originated about a week ago.

My computer just shut off... The fans were still spinning, the lights on the hardware was still on, but the monitor was black. The light on the monitor blinked insinuating no input. The fans sounded a bit different I think.

I turned it off (as the power was still running... just no picture or sound), and turned it back on. It stayed on about 5 seconds. I repeated, and it lasted about 10 seconds. I repeated twice, and I got to the logon screen both times.

I took the side panel off the computer... Maybe a heat problem? It booted and stayed on.

The temperature gauge never went about 24C I think, and usually, it was around 20. Because of this, I mentally ruled out temperature problem as the fan previously indicated.

Yesterday, while playing a flash game, my computer did the same thing. The monitor lost signal, the sound went out, and the fans may have sounded a bit different (This may just have been me actually listening to them though...).

I rebooted several times, and I've only gotten about 15 seconds of activity before it goes into hibernation.

Panel on, panel off, blow out dirt, test connections on everything... I don't know what else to do. Anyone have a suggestion, diagnosis, or a guess as to what may be causing the problem? (It's not a virus. Norton and antivirus.com both confirm that.) If you don't know, but you know someone who might, please ask them... This is really important to me...

Thanks.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-03-30, 11:02 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Computer Problems - PLEASE READ"
Heh, well if you've checked all the connections and did everything you said above, I am led to believe it is just an issue with your Monitor. How old is it?

Moved to Help Forum, BTW.

Maybe you should just turn off your entire computer and let your actual monitor cool down for a while. Not sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-03-30, 11:13 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Computer Problems - PLEASE READ"
The fans making a different sound before the system turns off indicate a possible drop in voltage. Could be a power supply that is dieing, or a crappy outlet that has voltage fluctuation. Plug a lamp into the other outlet next to the one that your PC is plugged into. When the pc turns off or the fans start making weird noises see if the light dims. DonÂ’t entirely rule out the heat issue though. You want to constantly monitor your CPU temp (or others too like vid cards or HDs). I use a program called Motherboard monitor. It displays the temp of your CPU in the task bar. You can get it here http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-03-30, 11:15 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Heh, well if you've checked all the..."
Titusfied said:
Heh, well if you've checked all the connections and did everything you said above, I am led to believe it is just an issue with your Monitor. How old is it?

Moved to Help Forum, BTW.

Maybe you should just turn off your entire computer and let your actual monitor cool down for a while. Not sure.

He said that his sound goes out too. So that rules out a monitor problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-03-30, 02:04 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "He said that his sound goes out too. ..."
kockblocker1 knows his shit...

Do you have a cable modem pluged onto the same power strip as the rest of the equipment? some modems have been know to cause power problems for PCs suddenly and with no warning.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

‡AC‡

Posted 2004-03-30, 02:50 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Computer Problems - PLEASE READ"
I had a recent problem with my monitor shutting off and my computer shutting itself down... I checked my connections to find that my power plug was barely in the socket causing the shutdowns and I ran AdAware which fixed the monitor problems.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-03-30, 07:46 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "I had a recent problem with my monitor..."
All the plugs are in fine. I will check the voltage thing...

I cleaned it all out... used an entire can of air, but that didn't help. I'm trying to find somebody in the dorm that will let me borrow their CPU fan to try another fan out. It's spinning a little slow I think, but I'm really just hoping it's something cheap.

Anyway, it's been doing the "hard to turn on" thing for a long time now. You think that may be the power supply too (or possibly the motherboard ) ?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-03-30, 07:47 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "All the plugs are in fine. I will..."
List the specs of your computer including the wattage of the power supply and tell whether or not you overclock or run a lot of stressing stuff on it often.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-03-31, 10:57 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "List the specs of your computer..."
No overclock. I run Warcraft 3, CS, and recently Lineage 2.

AMD XP 1800 (I think...)
512MB PC3200 DDR (Corsair w/heat spreader)
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO 128
Leadtek nForce 2 Mobo
DVD Drive
CD Burner
80GB Maxtor HD

I think the power supply is 400, but it may be 350. I had a neon light hooked up to it, but the light broke, so...

It's not the outlet, as tested by the lap procedure. I'm going to try to find somebody to let me try their power supply, but no luck yet.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-03-31, 11:05 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "No overclock. I run Warcraft 3, CS,..."
You are prolly right. It is either the Power Supply or the CPU fan. Replace one of them and check it again. I would normally say replace the CPU fan first because its the cheapist part to change, but if you have a spair Power Supply or a CPU fan you can borrow, it doesn't hurt to check both. My bet is that its the Power Supply.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-03-31, 11:51 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "No overclock. I run Warcraft 3, CS,..."
Well, just a quick question. When you said the light broke, do you mean physically or it burned out? If it burned out I think you have your answer there... Power Supply.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-03-31, 12:07 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, just a quick question. When you..."
If not then it's your fan, I've had that problem before where the computer shuts off and restarts ect ect... open up your computer and clean out the dust then you should be fine.

My sig won't show =/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
EX-Mania is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEX-Mania is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

EX-Mania

Posted 2004-03-31, 07:26 PM in reply to EX-Mania's post starting "If not then it's your fan, I've had..."
Well there could be a few problems. Now you say that there is no Video? And no apparent sound.

Now what would be the (most sensible thing to do) would be to Check your video card... With the power showing on the monitor, and the power is still on? Check your video card and make sure it is seated tightly. (push it in) . (Since you have moved it recently you may have bumped something or set it down too fast , this can cause it to come loose).

Now after checking the video card for it being in properly, Is there ANY video at all when you turn the computer on? If so your monitor is getting malsufficient power. (Instead of listening to the idiot newb kockblocker try finding an extra power cable and swap it out with your current monitor cable.)

Try the video card thing and see if it works.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-03-31, 07:40 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well there could be a few problems. Now..."
from what i have read in some computer repair books it is very possilbe like kockblocker1 said that your power supply is going bad. also like titusfied said if your lights just recently burnt out you could have had either a power surge to blow the light or you may not even be gettin enough power to power your lights. the drop in power would also cause your fans to spin slower, hence making a different sound.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-04-01, 12:37 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "from what i have read in some computer..."
Well if your light blew out then you may not have removed the power cable that was running to it correctly. I mean if its running power to (nothing) then that could short something out, or just drain too much power and kill something..

Oh yeah, and tidus, what 'computer repair books' have you read? :-\//

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-04-01, 03:40 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "All the plugs are in fine. I will..."
If swap CPU fans, be sure to remember to use fresh thermal paste.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-04-01, 04:16 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If swap CPU fans, be sure to remember..."
I wouldn't recommend swapping a CPU fan because you aren't getting any video...

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-04-01, 04:20 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I wouldn't recommend swapping a CPU fan..."
Smell the vent by your power supply. If it smells like burnt rubber or something similar then it's probably busted.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-04-01, 05:29 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Smell the vent by your power supply. ..."
OK HERES HOW I SEE IT

Bob said that his computer 'shut off' Ok, We know it hasn't shut off because his fans are still spinning, which means that there is still power. Ok, but you say there is no picture.... Whats most likely the problem? ? VIDEO. Its most likely not the monitor burning out, (IM Guessing you bumped the video card loose when your moved it or whatever, but even so something may have came loose) You are obviously losing signal to the monitor, (this may be a power problem, but it has NOTHING to do with the Cpu Fan...)

I recommend trying a monitor swap (try a different monitor) and then a possible video card slot ( if this doesn't work, and two good known parts don't work, your motherboard may have had some damage on the contacts in the PCI slot, or agp, (whatever you use) ).

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2004-04-01 at 05:31 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-04-01, 05:41 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "OK HERES HOW I SEE IT Bob said..."
D3V said:
OK HERES HOW I SEE IT
Whats most likely the problem? ? VIDEO.

Nope.

Medieval Bob said:
The monitor lost signal, the sound went out, and the fans may have sounded a bit different (This may just have been me actually listening to them though...).

He said the sound went out too. Can't be a video problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kockblocker1