Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Exclamation PayPal trouble
Posted 2005-07-19, 11:57 AM
I logged in to my email today and found a message from service@paypal.com.
So naturally I clicked it, and it says someone tried to use my account to try and purchase something. Here:

You have recieved this email because someone had tried to use your
paypal account at http://www.1-bulk-email-mailing-address -list.com
Below are the details about the transaction made:
Payment Details
Transaction ID: 4FS50663S0663861W
Total: $149.00 USD Item/Product Name: America Email Address For Email Marketing and Email

Advertising Business Information
Business: Beyond W Limited
Contact E-Mail: support@beyondw.com
Date : Thursday, Jul 14
To confirm or decline this transaction, please follow the
link
provide below
http://210.180.201.131/.data/secure/certificates/SSL/login.htm">ww
w.paypal.com/confirm-pp

Don't click any links btw.
So I clicked the link, and it pulls up a paypal page. A few seconds later the work computer says it has detected a virus! Oh noess...
So I close the email and link. Start some research. It seems http://www.1-bulk-email-mailing-address -list.com (without the space) Is a company that sells emails for spammers. These emails come in packages of the millions. Whoever was trying to buy something w/ my account tried to purchase the American 150+million emails, that cost 149.99.
So the way I see it is, I've got 1 of two situatins on my hands. Either A. Somene sent me a fake email, so they could get information from me to use my paypal, via the virus or suddo paypal link.
Or B. Someone somehow manage to try and use my paypal to purchase this email list. But, Paypal states that whenever they send you an email they use your first and last name. Never ask for any contact info ext. to try and deter fraudulent emails. This email fit there criteria for faud email, so I forwarded the email to them at spoof@paypal.com and they sent me back a email thanking me and telling me the shit I aready know.

The orginal email stated that if I did not comply and sign into my paypal account and either confirm or deny that I made a purchase to this http://www.1-bulk-email-mailing-address -list.com that my account would be frozen in 5 days. I signed into my account from a different computer and I see nothing telling me I might have been taken advantage of or broken into. Nothing out of the normal. There was not even a transaction made for the http://www.1-bulk-email-mailing-address -list.com

What do you guys think? If someone had tried to use my account wouldn't there be a transaction for it. What makes this purchase differnt from my purchases so that it would make paypal suspicious. I guess I should change my email password and paypal passwords atleast right.

Last edited by Kaneda; 2005-07-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-07-19, 01:35 PM in reply to Kaneda's post "PayPal trouble"
change it before they do...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-07-20, 03:32 AM in reply to Kaneda's post "PayPal trouble"
Change your password at paypal.com. The link you clicked took you to a spoofed website and they stole your login details. I get those emails all the time, never click links like that. The url is a damn IP, paypal ALWAYS is paypal.com in your address bar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2005-07-20, 03:50 AM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Change your password at paypal.com. The..."
Right, well in the email itself the IP url was hidden as a paypal link. I copied the above down from paypals return message. I didn't log into the site, I barely even gave it time to load. But I think it gave my work a virus!
Thanx
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-07-20, 04:13 AM in reply to Kaneda's post "PayPal trouble"
Fake e-mail, without a doubt.

"You have recieved this email because someone had tried to use your
paypal account"

paypal? PayPal always use two capital P's in their service name in their official announcement letters. Just check the headers of the e-mail, and you'll discover that it was sent from someone else. Sending e-mails from any address you like is not a difficult procedure at all, making your IP / ISP look convincing in the mail headers is a whole different story.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2005-07-20 at 04:16 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser