Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

networking
Posted 2005-05-08, 03:21 PM
I got two computer with win95 on it but they problem i don't know how to transfer file from one computer to other using network cabling. Anyone know how to do so in wind95
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2005-05-08, 08:44 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post "networking"
I'm going to assume that the network cards being used are set up properly...

You might be using a patch cable instead of a crossover cable. Basically, check both ends of your cat5 cable - if they're the same, it's a patch cable. You want one where the green/orange wires are reversed on either end. (At least, if it's a standard cable). Of course, this whole paragraph is moot if you're using a router. Anyway...

If you've got yourself a crossover cable (or 2 patch cables and a router), it shouldn't be too difficult to make two Win9x computers see each other.

Make sure file sharing is on, that's in the Control Panel under Networking. Obviously then you'd share whichever folders you want. I THINK Win9x has default share directories once you enable sharing, but don't quote me on that.

Set one computer's IP to like 192.168.0.100 and the other to 192.168.0.200 or something, so they're on the same subnet (255.255.255.0). Don't need a gateway since you're not going between networks, but if you're using a router, go ahead and use that IP as the gateway.

Anyway, if they're sharing-enabled and on the same network, connected with a crossover cable or via a router/hub, reboot and they should see each other in Network Neighborhood. From there you can access the other's shared directories. If they don't see each other, try to see if they can even ping each other. If that fails, I can only think of enabling Direct Cable Connection in the Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup/Communications area, though that should only be for serial/parallel connections.

Of course, if they STILL don't want to even ping each other, my answer is "WIN95 LOL" (or "WIN95 LO9L" to please Grav) which pretty much covers the myriad reasons it would fail.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube