Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Partial movement?
Posted 2007-12-06, 11:24 PM
Just wondering how it'd be possible to do a mini-game type thing in RM2K3 that's similar to say.. the levels in super mario where the screen is constantly moving right and pushes you with it? But vertically, say a ball rolling down a hill, you would only really be able to move the ball left and right, not back up the hill?

Does anyone get my meaning?

Need to figure out how I can only allow the player to move left and right, whilst the movement of a hero "up" happens automatically (So events and things happen normally if hero collides with them, and could hit the end "teleport" to randomise the mini-game a bit)
"Try not! Do or do not, there is, no try!" Quote Yoda.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
05thouldm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between05thouldm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

05thouldm

Posted 2007-12-07, 09:49 AM in reply to 05thouldm's post "Partial movement?"
Which RPGMaker are you using? I'd hazard a guess at RM2K3?

I believe that it's possible to do scripting in RM2K3 - you could probably write something that, for the duration of the mini game, takes the Up and Down keys and ignores if they are pressed. You'll have to wait for The Almighty Bluecube, though, I'm afraid. I haven't a clue about scripting in RM2K3.

If it's RMXP you're using, then it should be a lot easier to do, but again, I haven't a clue.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-12-07, 10:19 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Which RPGMaker are you using? I'd..."
I guess it depends on the way the game is presented. Is it tile-based or more precision-movement based? Also, you likely wouldn't have to move the hero upwards at all, you'd just move everything downwards, but you probably already have that in mind anyway.

If it's a tile-based version, you can always just toss a line of impassable, transparent tiles one line from the bottom of the screen and go from there. (Or a tileset with the same tile as the background, but impassable)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2007-12-07, 11:29 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "I guess it depends on the way the game..."
Have been tinkering with it.. managed to get the movement bit down using key input processing on a parallel process event.. only problem is, when the hero "collides" with another object (say a bird) the on hero touch or on hero collision event of that particular object doesn't trigger.. so the hero can just move left/right out of it's way with the whole map "paused" whilst it happens.. :s

Oh and simply tile based, I'm a rather basic user of RPG2K3, so >.>

Any idea how to fix that random problem with the other events?

Figured it might be something silly relating to the fact the movement is done via paralell process.. but a little unsure as to how I avoid that..

EDIT: Managed to get the "collision" event bit to work "sort of" .. if I set the object to on hero touch or on hero collision, it only takes effect if the "up" key is held at the time.. and as the hero is moving up automatically all the time via event, that shouldn't ever happen anyway, so I'm left in the same predicament unless I force "up" to be held down at all times which I can't do >.>

Last edited by 05thouldm; 2007-12-11 at 02:23 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
05thouldm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between05thouldm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

05thouldm

Posted 2007-12-14, 11:36 AM in reply to 05thouldm's post starting "Have been tinkering with it.. managed..."
Minibump to make sure this topic still lights up as "unread replies" in case it got missed..

/feels guilty for DP. >.>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

05thouldm

Posted 2007-12-14, 07:32 PM in reply to 05thouldm's post starting "Have been tinkering with it.. managed..."
05thouldm said:
Have been tinkering with it.. managed to get the movement bit down using key input processing on a parallel process event.. only problem is, when the hero "collides" with another object (say a bird) the on hero touch or on hero collision event of that particular object doesn't trigger.. so the hero can just move left/right out of it's way with the whole map "paused" whilst it happens.. :s

Oh and simply tile based, I'm a rather basic user of RPG2K3, so >.>

Any idea how to fix that random problem with the other events?

Figured it might be something silly relating to the fact the movement is done via paralell process.. but a little unsure as to how I avoid that..

EDIT: Managed to get the "collision" event bit to work "sort of" .. if I set the object to on hero touch or on hero collision, it only takes effect if the "up" key is held at the time.. and as the hero is moving up automatically all the time via event, that shouldn't ever happen anyway, so I'm left in the same predicament unless I force "up" to be held down at all times which I can't do >.>
Make sure that any collision events are set to Parallel Process, or they'll wait until your current event is done - but your current event is apparently a keypress loop, so the collision event never happens.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2007-12-15, 02:23 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Make sure that any collision events are..."
I think it's fairly safe to say that my attempt at doing this has failed >.< Are there any guides or tutorial type things for managing a mini-game in RPG2K3 similar to http://youtube.com/watch?v=wijjbNIm2aI ? I think I've maybe approached things a little too simply, or at worst over complicated things >.>

Last edited by 05thouldm; 2007-12-15 at 03:22 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

05thouldm