Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

[PC] Replacing RAM
Posted 2008-09-26, 08:57 PM
What are the steps to efficiently replacing ones RAM? All I know is that you should buy RAM in pairs. I can look up my complete system information off of Dell.com so I don't have to worry about purchasing the wrong kind.

Currently I have four slots total, two are being occupied by x2 512MB RAM sticks. Should I purchase x2 1GB RAM sticks? Or another x2 512MB RAM.

Also, is there any trick to doing it, some sort of scan/defrag/partition(?) you should do before installing it?

Is 2GB good enough for most anything out, or should I go for 3GB or 4GB.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:59 AM in reply to Kazilla's post "[PC] Replacing RAM"
No tricks except that you might need the higher capacity ones first (in the slots aleady used).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-27, 07:09 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "No tricks except that you might need..."
So, if I buy x2 1GB sticks, I should remove the x2 512MB. Insert the 1GB sticks in their place, and then place the 512's into my open slots?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 08:09 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "So, if I buy x2 1GB sticks, I should..."
yes if your original ram chip set is not in your computer your computer will not work right ive tryed it with out the original ram in and it wouldnt even start
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-09-27, 09:39 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "yes if your original ram chip set is..."
I bought x4 1GB sticks of RAM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 09:43 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I bought x4 1GB sticks of RAM."
ok cjeck how mant extra ram chip set slots you have
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-09-27, 10:36 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "ok cjeck how mant extra ram chip set..."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
ok cjeck how mant extra ram chip set slots you have

jamer123, you're illiterate and have no idea what you're talking about, so don't try to help people.

----------------

1) Kazilla, do you know your motherboard's maximum RAM capacity?

2) Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System?

3) 4-GB of RAM is useless on a 32-bit processor, as you will only get 3.4GB of the RAM.

4) Are you using DDR or DDR2? (I don't think you're using SDRAM or RIMM)

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-09-27 at 10:50 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-27, 10:57 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "jamer123, you're illiterate and have no..."
1) Has four slots, IIRC when I bought it, I read it could go up to 4GB.
2) 32-bit.. Where do you go to 64-bit?
3) --
4) DDR
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 11:24 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "jamer123, you're illiterate and have no..."
Max capacity is 4GB.
--
3.4 is still better than 3, and they don't make 768MB sticks to my knowledge.
DDR2 (Yes, Kaz, you need DDR2)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-27, 11:36 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "1) Has four slots, IIRC when I bought..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
1) Has four slots, IIRC when I bought it, I read it could go up to 4GB.
2) 32-bit.. Where do you go to 64-bit?
3) --
4) DDR
4-GB Max with a 1GB per-slot maximum I'm guessing. Somehow WetWired knows that you have DDR2. He probably took the time to look up your earlier posts and checked your motherboard.

I think you should have bought 3 1GB DDR2 modules and then 1 512MB DDR2 module.

Well, whatever the case, as long as those are DDR2, then just open up the case and remove the two modules and replace them. Easy as that. It can be done in under a minute.

-----------------------

Oh, by the way, go into the control panel and go to "System" to see what OS you have.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-09-27 at 11:39 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:16 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "4-GB Max with a 1GB per-slot maximum..."
I have Windows XP Media Center.

R-click > Properties > Settings. 32-bit Highest Color Quality.

WetWired did some searching for my Warhammer crash issue, so he has alot of the information of my computer or my computer type.

WetWired said:
DDR2 (Yes, Kaz, you need DDR2)
I purchased the RAM off of Dell, went through my system configuration and propeties. So I'm certain I got the right kind. There is a screenshot I posted somewhere on here with a picture of my system properties. in the memory box it read DDR.

This is what I bought.
memory.JPG

Last edited by Kazilla; 2008-09-27 at 12:21 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:30 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I have Windows XP Media Center. ..."
I have Windows XP Media Center.

R-click > Properties > Settings. 32-bit Highest Color Quality.

WetWired did some searching for my Warhammer crash issue, so he has alot of the information of my computer or my computer type.

I purchased the RAM off of Dell, went through my system configuration and propeties. So I'm certain I got the right kind. There is a screenshot I posted somewhere on here with a picture of my system properties. in the memory box it read DDR.

This is what I bought.
Attachment 4877
It is DDR2 then. Double Data Rate 2 Symmetric Dynamic Random Access Memory. Holy crap, I have that memorized. Well, I better pass the CompTIA A+ exams then.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:32 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "It is DDR2 then. Double Data Rate 2..."
So, to install it. It's as easy as popping my case open, locating my RAM. Removing the old x2 512MB sticks, and replacing them with the x4 1GB sticks?

Also, whats with the 64-bit OS? Is it an upgrade I can do at home, or a purchase I will have to make. Is it worth it to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:41 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "So, to install it. It's as easy as..."
So, to install it. It's as easy as popping my case open, locating my RAM. Removing the old x2 512MB sticks, and replacing them with the x4 1GB sticks?

Also, whats with the 64-bit OS? Is it an upgrade I can do at home, or a purchase I will have to make. Is it worth it to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Well, first off, you want to make sure you have a processor that can handle a 64-bit OS. I think that all processors made nowadays can.

A 64-bit processors relates to how much data can be sent at once. Basically, to break it down.

8-bits = 1 byte
64-bits = 8 bytes or 8, 8-binary digit lines of code sent and/or received.

Basically, 64-bit Operating Systems take advantage of your full processor. However, they do have some issues. Most of the time, however, they do not. I would consider a 64-bit OS an upgrade.

64-bit OS can handle more RAM and many more things as well. You do have to wipe your HDD and buy a new OS like Windows XP Pro x64 or Windows Vista's equivalent.

----------------

Woopsy, yes, removing and replacing the RAM is as easy as that.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-27, 12:51 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I bought x4 1GB sticks of RAM."
I bought x4 1GB sticks of RAM.
Good choice. My first thought when I read you were getting 2gb was that you should get 4gb instead. You'll want it eventually anyway. With 4 gb ram, you'll be doing very well. Look toward upgrading the rest of your stuff (video card, processor) in the near future and your computer will be able to run pretty much anything out right now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!