Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

England vs. USA
Posted 2008-05-28, 12:36 PM
Anyone watching the matchd tonight? Actually, is that a stupid question?

Either way, if people don't know, there's a friendly between England and the US tonight, being played at Wembley.

And in all honesty, I'm not too confident about it. Sven was a good Manager. However much we complained, he was still a good Manager. Steve McClaren, on the other hand, was an abysmal manager (small "m" and everything). Now we've got Fabio Capello. I don't know if he's a manager or a Manager - so far he's mostly untested. Hopefully we'll win tonight, but who knows?

Anyway, it kicks off in twenty-five minutes. I'll be back after the final whistle with some thoughts, and I'd put money on HoH throwing in his penny's worth, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-28, 01:39 PM in reply to Lenny's post "England vs. USA"
*holds spot for HoH to chime in....

But no, I wasn't planning on watching it and didn't even know that they were playing tonight. However, the USA team, country, citizens are better than England in every way.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-28, 02:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "*holds spot for HoH to chime in.... ..."
Down 1-0 at half. Damn Terry. I thought he wouldn't show his face after last week's loss in Moscow. I'm DVRing the game and watching it. It's a shame that Landon Donovan is injured, as I was looking forward to seeing Becks vs. Donovan. Sadly, England seems to have some control. We'll see how the second half goes.

It's on ESPN Classic right now.

Lenny, Capello seems to have success any place he goes. He's done well with AC Milan in the Serie A and with Real Madrid in La Liga. I'm sure England will be successful under him.

I'm glad that the USA squad got rid of Bruce Arena and are now under Bob Bradly. Coach's son gets more playing time, right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-28, 02:27 PM in reply to Lenny's post "England vs. USA"
Americans don't care enough about футбол for an American team to have any chance against a foreign one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-05-28, 04:11 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Down 1-0 at half. Damn Terry. I thought..."
I agree with you there, HoH - it was a shame that Donovan wasn't playing. I was quite looking forward to watching him, as I've heard quite a bit about him.

I was surprised when I heard that McBride had retired. IIRC, he was very much a key player during the World Cup.

As for the match, I made notes on each half I did. Just to bullet point what I thought at different points:

- Right at the start the comentators threw out the fact that Capello had a squad of 29, 18 of which were subs!! It amused me. There was another fact later on that the FA brpught in the 6 sub rule because Sven used to make 11 substitutions in matches.

- The anthems... I thought the US one was poor, in all honesty. Not the anthem itself, but the person who was singing it, and the fact that I heard very little noise from the Americans at the ground (13,000 I think there were). The English one, in contrast, seemed to be a singer on the pitch with a choir of nearly 60,000 supporters in the stands. Then again, it's not a big surprise - England fans are well-known for making a lot of noise.

- In the first 10 minutes or so, the US team was very good in the air, particularly the Midfielders.

- Shame about the ref at 11 minutes - Gerard's run in and cheeky flick into the net from Beckham's first free kick was barely picked up on by the American defence, who seemed very surprised by Beckham's second sudden low, fast ball straight through them. Shame it didn't go in.

- There were a shitload of Rooney and Defoe breaks in the first 30 minutes, and quite a few spots of bad defending -- Defoe, Rooney and Gerard seemed to have free passage into and around the box a lot. Defoe's chance at 33 minutes shouldn't have happened, though there was some good pressure by Pearce, which might have led to Defoe spooning it.

- Terry goal at 38 minutes.. great header. The power behind it to send it straight into the bottom corner was immense. Becks showed he still has moments of genius with the ball in that allowed that, too.

- More attacks from Defoe and Rooney, who made quite a good pair. Well, I'll rephrase that to: "Defoe was very good at supporting Rooney." The front two are usually "Rooney plus one".

- At Half Time I was thinking that the US defence wasn't too good, though the Midfield was tight to a point, and the team managed to hold their own. There didn't seem to be much from the forwards, though.

---

- Second Half, we were given a shot of the ground, and I couldn't help whistling at the beauty of Wembley.

- Johnson's chance at 45 minutes was very good. England were still to settle down, and he came put of nowhere.

- At 50 minutes, I laughed at Rooney's missed overhead kick. It's one of those things that looks brilliant if you can pull it off, and amusing if you don't. One of the best overhead kicks I've ever seen was a Crouch one in a friendly, I think it was, a few years ago, from which he scored.

- Gerard and Defoe showed a good partnership at 50 minutes, and Defoe's chance at 51 wasn't bad. The US goalie, though, was superb. I can' spell his name, but he was a damn sight better than the fella in the first half, and he showed it all throughout the second half. "Guszack"?

- At 57 minutes, I wrote down that the US were paying a lot better than they were in the first half... though Gerard's goal at 59 minutes was handed to him on a platter. The defenders were nowhere to be seen. They should have at least picked up on his run straight up from left to right. Good ball from the substitute Barry to Gerard, though.

- Also at 5 minutes was a fantastic Rooney break from a US corner.

- More examples at bad defending, though I was happy to see a greater number of times when there were two people staying at the back.

- By the time 70 minutes rolled by, England had a very big space in midfield, and could take all the time they wanted on the ball.

- 67 minutes - "Yay! Crochie! ". 6' 6" ish, such an inelegant player, yet very good. Shame he didn't show more of it tonight -- I'd have loved to see another rendition of his robot.

- 68 minutes saw more bad defending, with Rooney able to slip around the back, and the 72nd minute saw a 71,000 strong Mexican wave!!

- The 75th minute US free kick... buh?!

- At 80 minutes Eddie Lewis kicked in a beautiful cross, which James just about managed to get a hand to.

- Gerard was given Man of the Match at 86 minutes, and Crouch executed an overhead kick at 88 minutes. He got it right, but I still laughed.

And that was about it... I did think that the US picked up at the start of the second half, and put on some more pressure in the last 10 minutes, but they were generally lacklustre, gave the ball away easily, and defended badly. I will say that I thought Dempsey, Bradley, Lewis and Johnson played well, though.

As for England, it's been a long time since I saw a good second half performance. Under McClaren it was but a legend, and even under Sven in the later days it seemed to be falling into a Myth-like status. Good passing by England, too.

---

Sorry if the post seems a bit biased, and doesn't touch much upon the US squad, but I am English. There were some good US chances from a few free kicks and the odd attack, but otherwise I didn't think the team that good.

Oh, and the ref irritated the balls off me, constantly blowing his damned whistle. Apparently he was using the Eruo '08 rules. Which reminds me, "Burn in hell, Steve McClaren".

EDIT: I'll be interested to read your views on the entire thing, HoH.

Oh, and Terry is tough as boots, he is. By far one of our best, most consistent players... though not enalty taker. I think he had to step up and take it because Drogba, the usual taker, had injured himself in the last few minutes. Something like that.

In England, we hold a stiff upper lip and just carry on, don'tcha know?

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-05-28 at 04:27 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-28, 04:42 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I agree with you there, HoH - it was a..."
I'll make a new post for a couple of Peter Crouch video's, else they'll get swamped in the essay above.

First, his overhead kick. It was actually whilst playing for Liverpool against Galatasaray. He also got one against Bolton. Both are brilliant. Included in the video is his hat-trick against Arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsUjH7OlXY

The second video is his robot dance on a loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96eSrFlUVh0

He's 6' 7", btw.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-28, 06:11 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I agree with you there, HoH - it was a..."
Didier Drogba was sent off late in the second half of overtime for striking someone. Though it wasn't too much, he did up and slap one of the Manchester United players after a crowd gathered on the ball.

---------------

I thought the U.S. teamed played horridly. There seemed to be a lack of teamwork, particularly in trying to contain Rooney and Defoe. The only thing going for them, as you said, was the midfield. I really think that Beasely and Dempsey would've been better suited up top, as Wolff isn't the greatest and Johnson is in a slump. Michael Bradley should've controlled the flow of passes more and centralized the U.S. attack.

I also laughed when Rooney missed. He reminds me of a toothless brute willing to do anything to put the ball on net.

I would go into further detail, but I was just disgusted at how England basically outclassed the U.S. I hope that the U.S. do not get embarrassed when they play Argentina next month. Aguero and Tevez need to be contained.

---------

Lenny, if you want my comments on particular plays or certain areas of the match, feel free to ask. I just can't find much good to say about the U.S.
GK Tim Howard has Tourettes, by the way...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-29, 05:31 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Didier Drogba was sent off late in the..."
Rooney is a brute who'll do anything to get the ball in the back of the net, and most of the time it pays off. If it doesn't, then at least he harries the defence and goalkeeper.

Any reason you know of why Guzan isn't in the starting 11 in place of Howard? As I said above, Guzan performed a lot better than Howard.

Anyway, good luck against Argentina! We've got Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday, which shouldn't be too bad. The good thing about friendlies is that even if the team is humliated, it doesn't mean anything - it's more a chance for the Manager to swap people around and see which combinations work best.

Oh, and there's something that seemed a bit strange to me. Why's the US kit grey and white?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-29, 08:44 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Rooney is a brute who'll do anything to..."
I would say if united state won't chance to get better. They should get a europian manager.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2008-05-29, 09:02 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'll make a new post for a couple of..."
Damn.. a 6'7 soccer player? He's got to be the tallest soccer player ever.. he should be playing basketball :P

Nvm. He's white.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-05-29, 09:56 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Rooney is a brute who'll do anything to..."
Lenny said:
Any reason you know of why Guzan isn't in the starting 11 in place of Howard? As I said above, Guzan performed a lot better than Howard.
I think Bradley is trying to find out which goalkeeper to use in 2010. Keller is getting too old, and Howard seemed to be in goal more often. Did you know that he even played for Manchester United at one point in time? Guzan plays for Chivas USA, and is only 23. My guess is that Bradley wants to slowly introduce him to the pace of an international game to get him more comfortable. You are right though, he did play much better than Howard.

Lenny said:
Oh, and there's something that seemed a bit strange to me. Why's the US kit grey and white?
That confused me too, as I own one of those jerseys. My parents actually thought I had gotten a large stain on it, but then noticed that people can't stain that neatly and in a pattern. It's odd, but I guess it makes for good contrast???

-----
Do you know which team that James plays for? I'm curious, because I have never seen him before.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-29, 10:23 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I think Bradley is trying to find out..."
HandOfHeaven said:
Do you know which team that James plays for? I'm curious, because I have never seen him before.
Really?! He's quite a big player. Played for Manchester City from 2004 to 2006, and now playsat Portsmouth. He's been the first team keeper for England since last August, and was second to Robinson for a few years before that.

At times, he's an amazing keeper.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny