Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Question What program to use for sigs ?
Posted 2004-07-30, 04:21 PM
im currently using Paint Shop Pro 6,
or me or psp6 sux cuz i made my last sig with it and it sucked pretty hard (believe me, i tried)

so now my question is, what program ???? (plz dont say photoshop, cuz im having BIG problems with it)

im thinking about a request on AC's forum...

i have loads of images i could use for my sig, but im that gay with psp6 that i cant combine them in some NICE way....

if anyone is psp expert or has some godly sig-maker pls tell me =.=

Last edited by Dr. Geekstar; 2004-07-30 at 04:24 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-30, 04:28 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post "What program to use for sigs ?"
You could try gimp.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-07-30, 04:32 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "You could try gimp."
just downloaded it, ill post someting soon

edit: it looks awesome, its even available in DUTCH !!!!

Last edited by Dr. Geekstar; 2004-07-30 at 04:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-30, 05:36 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "just downloaded it, ill post someting..."
i made some testing sig but have a little problem:
i want the background to become an image (mayb blurred/faded)

edit: i cant upload it now because of my loser-status :'(
try this link

First attempt with GIMP

Last edited by Dr. Geekstar; 2004-07-30 at 05:39 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-30, 05:50 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post "What program to use for sigs ?"
There's nothing wrong with using PSP to make sigs. It takes a while to learn is all. It wasn't untill I took the time to read the reference manual that I was able to fully utilize the tools it provides. All my sigs are PSP sigs.

Last edited by WetWired; 2004-07-31 at 12:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-07-30, 05:54 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "There's nothing wrong with using PSP to..."
nice, but i dont have any manual and im dutch
(and yes i searched for tutorials in the past)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 03:46 AM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "nice, but i dont have any manual and im..."
I use photoshop CS, for everything. Lots of tutorials and stuff out there on the internet, not hard to learn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2004-07-31, 03:54 AM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "I use photoshop CS, for everything...."
cant find any good dutch ones... or they explain EVERYTHING.... and i need like only 1% of all the options
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 09:34 AM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "cant find any good dutch ones... or..."
k im combining PSP with GIMP and in 10 minutes i made something... i dont know if im gonna use it as sig but its 90% testing =.=

http://www.free-webspace.biz/clands/pics/testorz.htm its the second pic

i think the background is too... plain.... any suggestions ?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 12:07 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "k im combining PSP with GIMP and in 10..."
Things to fill backgrounds:
  • A component already used in the work, but enlarged and faded/blured
  • Noise. Choose a color and noise it up a bit to give it texture. Blured noise which is then modified to reduce the color variance can make a very nice background
  • Texture. Apply one of your painting programs fancy textures to either the background layer or the whole work
  • Whore the filters. Use all those stupid filters to make a fancy background. Just make sure that you reduce the contrast of the background so that the forground elements stand out
  • Of course, none of these can compare to actually generating a unique, fitting background for the work
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-07-31, 12:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Things to fill backgrounds: A component..."
WetWired said:
Things to fill backgrounds:
  • A component already used in the work, but enlarged and faded/blured
  • Noise. Choose a color and noise it up a bit to give it texture. Blured noise which is then modified to reduce the color variance can make a very nice background
  • Texture. Apply one of your painting programs fancy textures to either the background layer or the whole work
  • Whore the filters. Use all those stupid filters to make a fancy background. Just make sure that you reduce the contrast of the background so that the forground elements stand out
  • Of course, none of these can compare to actually generating a unique, fitting background for the work
well thx for the advise... but i have one little problem:
it might sound nooby, but i promoted my background to layer and when create a new layer and draw a pic in it im having HUGE problems because the pictures used in it arent the same size as the actual sig... that makes corners and stuff like that appear in the middle of my sig... ill post an example if u dont understand. Mayb the only solution is saving it as jpg and create a new sig with 2 layer: background and the .jpg ??? my head hurts
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 12:14 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "well thx for the advise... but i have..."
Yeah, if you havn't been keeping your work transparent, adding a background will be hard. You may need to cut out what you've made with some feathering, then paste it as a transparent layer in a new image.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2004-07-31, 01:23 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Yeah, if you havn't been keeping your..."
well thanx alot, uv been really helpful, ill post my experiment on the site and ill pm u if im stuck again =.=
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 01:32 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "well thanx alot, uv been really..."
whats the maximum size for avatar ???? cuz im afraid u wont be able to read my nickname if it gets resized too much
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-31, 07:51 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "whats the maximum size for avatar ????..."
Dr. Geekstar said:
whats the maximum size for avatar ???? cuz im afraid u wont be able to read my nickname if it gets resized too much

I use MSPaint, Gif editer, and a file converter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between‡AC‡ is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

‡AC‡