Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Question CDRom Issues
Posted 2004-04-30, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone, I've got a problem.

Ok, I'm trying to load some games (I recently installed 2k on a partition(( already had XP on a different partition )) ). And I will insert the game I am trying to install, and it spins, and spins, and spins , And no luck, it just quits. So I go to Run > d:/ (Please Insert disc) .... Ok, I'm sorta lost. I've tried a few known good Cds, and a Few Audio CDs. None of them work. I tried using a spare Cd Rom and the same problem. Both of these roms were working perfectly last week or so.

I'm sorta lost right now, Help Plz

Basically, I pop in the cd, and its not reading it , the same thing happens with both roms :-\ errr

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-04-30, 08:32 PM in reply to D3V's post "CDRom Issues"
It's probably because you've got 2 OS's loaded.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-04-30, 08:44 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's probably because you've got 2 OS's..."
Thats what I'm guessing, I had thought origionally that 2k had conflicts with the XP programming

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-04-30, 08:46 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Thats what I'm guessing, I had thought..."
I've got no clue, it was just a guess.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-04-30, 09:46 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I've got no clue, it was just a guess."
I'm not able to boot from a cd either, I'm guessing maybe both of the RomS are burned out, or I'm just missing something obvious.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-04-30, 10:39 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm not able to boot from a cd either,..."
www.computerproblems.org
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-05-02, 05:24 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "www.computerproblems.org"
I went their, they told me to swap my IDE cable, I did that, still no fix.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-05-02, 08:37 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I went their, they told me to swap my..."
maybe you need new cd drivers since u got a new os on there? or one of the cables fell out in the back? (im saying the back of the drive) umm...maybe you got mad and kicked you comp...and now they dont work because they are smashed? Maybe one of these are your answer....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2004-05-03, 07:39 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "maybe you need new cd drivers since u..."
Ummm, no.

I've got 3 CdRoms. One Cd Burner, (24x), A 24x Cd Reader, and a 32x Cd reader. They were all working fine when I had XP. But Xp was a bitch , I formatted HD, Put 2k on here. I left the old XP On my computer, but 2k installed just fine, I installed my ISP, Starcraft, Cs, D2, and Then It just quit working,..... So I checked out the back of the Cd rom, everything is seated fine, so I check the motherboard, nothing loose.

Odd enough, so I swap cd roms, .. same problem. So I'm not sure too much whats wrong, I can't boot from a CD because my Rom won't read anything, and I've gotta find another IDE cable I'm going to try swapping, Oh well, if all else fails, I'll just build a new computer.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-05-03, 09:47 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Ummm, no. I've got 3 CdRoms. One Cd..."
Or it could be the IDE Controller that is messing it up... and, you have XP on another partition?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-05-03, 10:48 AM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting "Or it could be the IDE Controller that..."
Yeah, on the other Partition i've still got XP. But when I was upgrading from 2k to XP it fucked up, so I formatted and got a new partition, but I can access the old stuff.

How would I be able to check the IDE controller's settings? EEK

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2004-05-03 at 11:14 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-05-04, 04:12 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah, on the other Partition i've still..."
I know you are currently banned but...

Does the BIOS identify that there is indeed a CDROM drive in the computer? I know sometimes when I swap out CD/DVD rom drives I forget to set the master and slave jumpers. Check those out and make sure they are set correctly. It also seems like you have alot of stuff in that computer. Do you have a PCI IDE card or are you running all these devices off the motherboard IDE controller (1 hard drive and 3 Cdroms)? Most people with more than 1 CDROM drive also have a few hard drives so that would usually require a separate controller. You can try and swap the Cdroms that arenÂ’t working to the PCI Card Controller, that sometimes helps.

If none of that works this problem could be virus related. There are viruses out that screw with your dllÂ’s. That would certainly screw up your computer and maybe, depending on the type of virus, only effect your CDROM operation. Update AV and do a full system scan.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-05-04, 08:49 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "I know you are currently banned but......"
Or you could get rid of that unecessary partition and repair the other with windows disk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-05-15, 04:47 PM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting "Or you could get rid of that unecessary..."
I can't repair anything with the Windows Disk because the CdRom won't read anything.

I've only got one Cd Rom in at a time, I'm not sure how to change/set any of my jumpers, I know they're the little black switches on the motherboard, but I'm not sure what their settings are. I'm really lost er....

Yes, the bios is set for AUTO, so it should automatically detect it. I even tried setting the slave as cdrom, no difference. I need some help, errrr

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-05-16, 09:35 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I can't repair anything with the..."
In the back of your CDrom you can set it jumpers for either:
1. Master
2. Slave
3. Auto

If you currently have it set for auto then change it to one of the other manual settings. There should be a small reference on the sticker on the CDrom as to which jumper is for master and which one is for slave. Sometimes there are also letters like MS and SL on the plastic near the CDrom jumpers. If you can't get the settings from any of those things then you should be able to go the website for your CDrom and look for jumper settings there (like Liteon.com).

BTW the jumpers I am reffering to are the ones on the back of your CDrom and not the ones on your motherboard.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-05-16, 01:49 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "In the back of your CDrom you can set..."
meh, guess ill go try that now lol.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V